View Poll Results: Yes or no?
Yes 45 32.85%
No 92 67.15%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 29-07-2023, 12:21 PM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Yep. Whatever people’s personal opinion on what they think the decision should be, surely everyone can agree that United have handled it in a pretty shite manner, just letting it drag on and on
The club are an absolute joke sadly. Really hope certain quarters undergo an absolute gutting if we’re sold.

Unread 29-07-2023, 12:39 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finport Red
I think the answer to whether he should be allowed back can be answered more honestly by asking, what if it was The Scottish Player or maguire or Weghorst. I’m not sure there are too many who would want them so, for consistency, even a prospect like greenwood can’t be allowed back.
given that people would be looking for any excuse to get rid of maguire and The Scottish Player, it's not really an honest question.

also, the point about it drawing (possibly) unwarranted criticism. irrelevant for me. so £#%&!ing what if other people whine about it?

the only question is whether he has done something so wrong that he cannot be given another chance. how good he is at football is irrelevant. whether professional whiners will whine or fans of other clubs will mock is irrelevant.

it's a personal choice whether you never want to see him play for united again. if you feel that strongly about it, as a point of principle, then nothing else matters.

Unread 29-07-2023, 12:41 PM
armchair

We may struggle to get a bank account with Coutts.

Unread 29-07-2023, 12:51 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
We may struggle to get a bank account with Coutts.
we don't meet the financial threshold.

Unread 29-07-2023, 12:53 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
no one thinks that.
You don't have social media then I take it...?

Unread 29-07-2023, 01:13 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley
You don't have social media then I take it...?
I thought you meant fred. £#%&! everyone else.

Unread 29-07-2023, 02:30 PM
Lodestar

Does some of this come down to the fact the Glazers don't want to shell out for a striker given they have Greenwood? It fits with their business model.

With Adidas giving their blessing for his return too they are just as bad - and other sponsors will now fall in behind them.

The CPS had a rock solid case against him until they reconciled. But the facts remain and he should have been moved on from us.

Unread 29-07-2023, 02:34 PM
dunk

It comes down to the fact they have a multi-million pound asset that they can't realise through sale due to his current status, stuck on a multi-million pound contract that has 3(?) years to run. They're stuck firmly between a rock and a hard place and aren't wealthy enough as a club to write it off as a loss and take the risk of reaching a settlement and cutting him loose. imo.

The club needed him found guilty or completely exonerating. Once neither happened they were £#%&!ed.

Unread 29-07-2023, 02:40 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
It comes down to the fact they have a multi-million pound asset that they can't realise through sale due to his current status, stuck on a multi-million pound contract that has 3(?) years to run. They're stuck firmly between a rock and a hard place and aren't wealthy enough as a club to write it off as a loss and take the risk of reaching a settlement and cutting him loose. imo.

The club needed him found guilty or completely exonerating. Once neither happened they were £#%&!ed.
Absolutely this.

From a practical point of view, they’ll have wanted him to be guilty. Makes their job easy. Instead, they have an ‘innocent’ man who they don’t want associated with the club but have no legal position to sack him. He hasn’t played in over a year and few clubs want to take a risk on him. The same risk we don’t want to take.

I feel for the club on this one. They didn’t ask for it, immediately banned him when they could have just played him and are in a really tough spot now.

Unread 29-07-2023, 02:48 PM
Curtis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar
The CPS had a rock solid case against him until they reconciled. .
They absolutely did not. That was half the issue.

Unread 29-07-2023, 02:49 PM
ZiggyStardust

They should loan him out this summer

Even putting away the moral implications (personally don’t want him to play for the club again) he’s not played for nearly 2 years
Not just hasn’t played but hasn’t trained at the club

I’m always confused at the notion that if he was available again that he would be some top player
He was a top prospect but not a top player when all this started so not sure how anyone thinks after all this that he’s going to be better than he was previously

Unread 29-07-2023, 04:12 PM
dunk

Looks like a certain person wasn’t supposed to leak anything about the alleged talks…

Wonder if that will change their stance…

Unread 29-07-2023, 04:15 PM
Gypsum Fantastic

Leaving aside the moral issue

They should absolutely loan him out abroad to get some football in his legs but away from the uk press. Then they could assess him and weigh up the reaction. If he’s not good enough or the reaction is too much, or both they can then take a better informed decision.

If he is still showing the same quality then the fact is people here will got accustomed to him being back playing (but abroad) mean the reaction would be (by comparison) quieter when he is back with United .

Just going straight back into the PL would be much much tougher.

Sure they would have sorted the above if not for the kid on the way means they may not want to move.

Unread 29-07-2023, 04:17 PM
dunk

I reckon they might be struggling to find anyone to take on a rehabilitation case on our behalf tbf.

Unread 29-07-2023, 06:54 PM
Gypsum Fantastic

Yeah footballs renowned for its moral and ethical backbone…

There’s plenty clubs taken on players with convictions so given he wasn’t charged in the end - if he’s scoring goals they won’t be short of offers.

Unread 29-07-2023, 07:18 PM
dunk

He’s not scoring goals though. Finding someone to take on the burden of re-introducing him back into the sport, the money it would cost, the flack and attention they’ll inevitably get all to help United out? Nah. Massive gamble too, it might take him a season to get back up to speed.

Unread 29-07-2023, 07:24 PM
Ethers

Why would it cost them a lot of money to take him on a loan from us?

Unread 29-07-2023, 07:30 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Why would it cost them a lot of money to take him on a loan from us?
Wages, loan fee (knowing United).

Unread 29-07-2023, 07:32 PM
Boring Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsum Fantastic
Yeah footballs renowned for its moral and ethical backbone…

There’s plenty clubs taken on players with convictions so given he wasn’t charged in the end - if he’s scoring goals they won’t be short of offers.
They were simpler, and better times. You did the crime, you do the time. Everyone moves on.

We live in an era of relentless wokeness and screeching helmets.

Take this utter nob end, %@#$&!ing on about his sister and imaginary kids he doesn’t have (no woman is letting him impregnate her btw).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
If he's a changed man then all the best to him, he can still £#%&! off. If it happened to my sister and the man involved proclaimed he was a changed man then the same, all the best to him in his life going forward, but I wouldn't want her to go near him again, and if she did then I'd fully expect to be hearing about something else in the future.

Whether he's 'forgiven' or not, it changes nothing about what he actually did and what he is capable of behind closed doors.
The fact he wore a back pack to a cricket match and didn’t get the shit kicked out of him shows how soft society is.

Unread 29-07-2023, 08:15 PM
My Name is Heath

Who took a back pack to a cricket match?

Mason has gone down in my esteem.

Barmy Army? Absolutely bloody crazy.