United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 11-02-2021, 03:27 PM
ScarFace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco
Love Fergie to be in charge now, Pogba and co wouldn't know what £#%&!ing hit them.
I think half the turds would be much better too. The master of getting shite to play well.

Unread 11-02-2021, 03:27 PM
Tuco

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
Hughes scored great goals but he wasn’t a great goal scorer. McClair was first to 20 since Best I think.
McClair was yes. Hughes was a proper player in his prime. Never took a shine to McClair always thought he was a Fergie favourite. Remember his later years in his midfield role, he was absolute bobbins.

Unread 11-02-2021, 03:30 PM
doudou

30-odd years ago you'd lose top red points for saying that, but yes McClair was always an extremely limited player.

Scored a lot of goals to be fair, always worked hard and was a good lad and everything but not actually that good at football.

Unread 11-02-2021, 03:31 PM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd
We'd have won the '98 title with a triumvirate of Keane/Ince/Scholes and probably won another European Cup. Hated Ince after '99 but he was an unbelievable player who we should have kept.
After what Ferguson said about him, both in that interview and in his books, he had to go.

Unread 11-02-2021, 03:35 PM
est.1878

Cool

Checked and Bruce got 19

Got pure love for Bruce...

Early 90s we had so many likeable characters.... Steve Bruce and Bryan Robson would 100pc back you out of a car park if they saw you struggling in your van hire. Mark Hughes 100pc pays for more rounds than he needs. Phelan would help you out with yourvflat tyre. Clubbing with Clayton and sharpie would be world class. Denis irwin would always be happy to help out with some gardening or decking advice, probably bring you some cuttings round

An all time work productivity low today, lads.

Unread 11-02-2021, 03:55 PM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14

Or am I being wooshed?
Fergie joined United just as Hughes was being sold to Barcelona.

Edwards oversaw the transfer. We received a club record fee and Hughes tripled his wages. Rare case (at the time) of a player threatening to run down his contract.

He was something of a mercenary. But a £#%&!ing great one. Didn’t score hatfulls but his hold up play was tremendous. Also scored great goals.

He had curly hair.

Unread 11-02-2021, 03:57 PM
Tuco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream

Edwards oversaw the transfer. We received a club record fee and Hughes tripled his wages. Rare case (at the time) of a player threatening to run down his contract.

He was something of a mercenary. But a £#%&!ing great one. Didn’t score hatfulls but his hold up play was tremendous. Also scored great goals.

He had curly hair.
The best volleyer of a ball I have ever seen.

Unread 11-02-2021, 04:02 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
Originally Posted by est.1878
Checked and Bruce got 19

Early 90s we had so many likeable characters.... Steve Bruce and Bryan Robson would 100pc back you out of a car park if they saw you struggling in your van hire. Mark Hughes 100pc pays for more rounds than he needs. Phelan would help you out with yourvflat tyre. Clubbing with Clayton and sharpie would be world class. Denis irwin would always be happy to help out with some gardening or decking advice, probably bring you some cuttings round

He's Welsh

Unread 11-02-2021, 04:08 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
hughes is one of my favourite united players -
Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
£#%&! off with your irrelevancy.
Prosecution has nothing further M’lud.

Unread 11-02-2021, 04:10 PM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd
He's Welsh
100pc likely to add
“...and I’m not your ‘mate’ ”
after a friendly enquiry from a stranger.

Unread 11-02-2021, 04:14 PM
est.1878

*scribbles note about potential midweek poll on mark hughes' character *

Unread 11-02-2021, 04:15 PM
utd99

We’ve had players over the years you get the feeling only ever wanted to be here and others who would move for ten quid a week more and not bat an eyelid.

Unread 11-02-2021, 04:24 PM
Marvel7

Quote:

He was something of a mercenary. But a f***ing great one. Didn’t score hatfulls but his hold up play was tremendous. Also scored great goals.

He had curly hair.
Hughes transfer to Barca was announced before the end of the 85-86 season, Fergie didnt join until November.

Quote:
Originally Posted by est.1878
Checked and Bruce got 19

That was the 90-91 season Bruce got 19? McClair got 20+ in 87-88 I think, so even if Bruce would have got 20 McClair would still have been first since Best.

Unread 11-02-2021, 05:13 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvel7
Hughes transfer to Barca was announced before the end of the 85-86 season, Fergie didnt join until November.
Yeah that’s what I thought.

Unread 11-02-2021, 05:25 PM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
Yeah that’s what I thought.
Rumour is you didn’t know he had two stints at United, despite being Welsh.

(source: Jem PM).

Unread 11-02-2021, 05:37 PM
Neo

Quote:
Rumour is you didn’t know he had two stints at United, despite being Welsh.

(source: Jem PM).
I remember when I did the OT tour and we stopped in the Player's Lounge where there's the wooden boards on the wall with the name of every United player that's won an international cap.

Question came from the tour guide about who is the only United player to appear on the board more than once.

A deathly silence fell across the group, before a young Neo answered with conrete confidence: "Mark Hughes".

Unread 11-02-2021, 05:41 PM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
I remember when I did the OT tour and we stopped in the Player's Lounge where there's the wooden boards on the wall with the name of every United player that's won an international cap.

Question came from the tour guide about who is the only United player to appear on the board more than once.

A deathly silence fell across the group, before a young Neo answered with conrete confidence: "Mark Hughes".
Good job I wasn’t running the tour, would’ve been a flat out ‘Wrong’.

If it meant grabbing the erroneous hat out the box and eating it, so be it. But the man played only for Wales.

Just noticed it was a name carved into a wooden plaque.

‘Correct!”

Unread 11-02-2021, 05:47 PM
92ToBury

Quote:

He had curly hair.
We announced the sale of Hughes to Barcelona in the March and he left in the summer. Atkinson and Edwards allegedly did very nicely out of the deal.

Fergie wasn’t appointed until Atkinson had made a bad start to the 86/87 season.

Unread 11-02-2021, 05:49 PM
originalhogg

Quote:
Hughes transfer to Barca was announced before the end of the 85-86 season, Fergie didnt join until November
Think there were rumours around Jan 86, that he'd already signed for Barce, think he scored only one goal in the second half of that season.

Season started so great too.

Unread 11-02-2021, 06:22 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
Prosecution has nothing further M’lud.
I thought you were suggesting my post would be an irrelevancy, rather than that I would accused you of irrelevancy. however, my comment was £#%&! off with your irrelevancy comment, not £#%&! off with your comment for being irrelevant. glad to have cleared that up. hughes was a selfless team player. for united. you are not a selfless team player.

Quote:
I think you'll find that I accuse fergie of selling hughes twice at least once a year.
Closed Thread