Unread 12-10-2012, 10:11 AM
irk

play games with an impossiball

Unread 12-10-2012, 10:14 AM
DuanePipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
What if either team goes up or down?
Suspension begins first games of the new season.

I remember an occasion where a player has been sent off against my team in the last quarter of the game, who is the leading scorer for the opposition who's next games happen to be against our promotion rivals, which ended up giving our league rivals a bigger advantage as a result of his misdemeanours than it gave us. Still stings. Still stings bad.

Unread 12-10-2012, 10:20 AM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuanePipe
Suspension begins first games of the new season.

I remember an occasion where a player has been sent off against my team in the last quarter of the game, who is the leading scorer for the opposition who's next games happen to be against our promotion rivals, which ended up giving our league rivals a bigger advantage as a result of his misdemeanours than it gave us. Still stings. Still stings bad.
But the two teams might conceivably never play each other again.

Unread 12-10-2012, 10:21 AM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Nah, the 10 yards thing was for dissent, if a FK was given and the defending team whinged too much it was moved forward 10 yards. It didn't always benefit the attacking team though tbf, sometimes you ended up too close to have a decent effort. No idea what happened to it, it just stopped happening.

Crackers.

Unread 12-10-2012, 10:32 AM
DuanePipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
But the two teams might conceivably never play each other again.
If that happens, then the team who the player was sent off against is allowed to send a representative to the pre-season games of the offending player's team and place him in a van, transport him to the homes of all of their own star players where he must work as a pool boy/gardener/housecleaner/handy-man for a period not exceeding one month, thus delivering some form of advantage back to the offended against team.

Unread 12-10-2012, 11:06 AM
Stickman

Thatchers face on ALL corner flags.

Unread 12-10-2012, 11:06 AM
armchair

I'd take the intent out of handball.

Unread 12-10-2012, 11:08 AM
Harri Jaffa

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
I'd take the intent out of handball.
You think that the penalty that citeh got against Dortmund should have stood?

Unread 12-10-2012, 11:35 AM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
yes, they changed it to improve its quality as a sporting event. the gargantuan increase in cash was an unexpected side effect.
contrary to the popular mantra you present, the two are not mutually exclusive regardless of what the primary motivation of some individuals within the process may or may not have been at the time.

as such, your limited certainty on the subject is misguided.

as, I would suggest, is your memory of the European competitions in the years leading up to the changes. this is quite possibly a reflection of your interest in the sport during those years, but only you would really know that.

Unread 12-10-2012, 11:52 AM
lookingforeric

Make the scottish & English league cups one big competition with the semis at hampden and final at wembley

during extra time in cup matches every 5 mis each team loses 1 player

get rid of foul throws

get rid of semi final ties at wembley

Unread 12-10-2012, 11:56 AM
armchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harri Jaffa
You think that the penalty that citeh got against Dortmund should have stood?
Didn't realise they'd accepted my rule change and decided to apply it retroactively and only to city games. Put down the crackpipe.

As far as I know that penalty stood anyway.

Unread 12-10-2012, 12:07 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingforeric
Make the scottish & English league cups one big competition with the semis at hampden and final at wembley

during extra time in cup matches every 5 mis each team loses 1 player

get rid of foul throws

get rid of semi final ties at wembley
I like that, but considering all the jocks will be out by the 1/4's, having the Semi's at Hampden seems redundant.

Unread 12-10-2012, 12:21 PM
Harri Jaffa

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
Didn't realise they'd accepted my rule change and decided to apply it retroactively and only to city games. Put down the crackpipe.

As far as I know that penalty stood anyway.
Easy Tiger

All I meant was that I felt that the penalty was soft because the ball was kicked at his arm and there wasn't anything that he could do about it.

If you take intent out then there are no issues because it hit is hand and is a penalty. Personally I think that's harsh...

Unread 12-10-2012, 12:43 PM
dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestown Rouge
Shirt pulling of any kind - mandatory yellow.
Just being penalised now and again would be nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
no guarding the ball unless you have established possession by contact. it's £#%&!ing obstruction.
That's a very good one. yhgr

Unread 12-10-2012, 12:45 PM
BarryX

Get rid of penalties and as mentioned above, loose a player every 5 minutes frombthe second half of et.

Introduce a wage cap.

Unread 12-10-2012, 12:59 PM
That Boy Ronaldo!

Get rid of International Football.

Unread 12-10-2012, 01:04 PM
My Name is Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
as if I need advice off some @#%&! on the £#%&!ing internet in that department
Ok, ok, I've got it. Sorry that I've touched a nerve. Jeeeez.

Just trying to help you sound less like a dick, that's all. You know all that, " popular mantra, mutually exclusive, primary motivation" stuff sounds like you need to let off some 'steam' if you know what I mean. And cracking one off yourself sometimes doesnt hit the mark. I know pal, I've been there.

Unread 12-10-2012, 01:45 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
yes, they changed it to improve its quality as a sporting event. the gargantuan increase in cash was an unexpected side effect.
Sorry mate, but I have to agree with Throb on this one, though I'd remove the unnecessary bile.

Whether the CL format was introduced to strengthen the tournament or the tournament was strengthened in the pursuit of revenues is largely irrelevant. It is a much tougher competition than it used to be, and a return to the old champions only format would probably mean a 16 team tournament (in the event proper) of which 3, maybe 4 are capable of winning it.

I have this argument with scousers all the time. There is no way you can even remotely compare the difficulty in winning the CL with the old EC, it was night and day. In some of their victories, they didn't play anyone decent until the semi's, and in one, 1984 I think, they had a £#%&!ing bye in the first round. Madness.

Regardless, they bang on about it being the 'real' champions back then, but what they are implying is that the competition had more validity when it had Tranzospor instead of Barca and Limerick instead of Inter. Maybe they think we should reintroduce byes too. Not that they are ever likely to see another CL anyway.

Unread 12-10-2012, 01:47 PM
borsuk

Quote:
contrary to the popular mantra you present, the two are not mutually exclusive regardless of what the primary motivation of some individuals within the process may or may not have been at the time.

as, I would suggest, is your memory of the European competitions in the years leading up to the changes. this is quite possibly a reflection of your interest in the sport during those years, but only you would really know that.
i remember european competition well as it happens. opponents were exotic, unknown teams and players (obviously not all) that you didn't know. and every game meant something because it was a knockout game, with a real chance of a smaller side knocking out a big side - and that uncertainty is in large part the essence of sport imo. now big teams play virtual reserve sides in a lot of european games and are happy to go out of the europa league asap. how is that an improvement ffs?

i didn't suggest increasing income and increasing quality were mutually exclusive you said the reason they changed it was because it was rubbish before. it wasn't imo, it was far better in sporting terms, but the reason it was changed was not because it was rubbish, as you suggested, it was because there were gargantuan amounts of money to be made from the new format. the whole 'european super league' threat was based on money, it had £#%&! all to do with sporting quality.

"your limited certainty on the subject" is gibberish btw.

Unread 12-10-2012, 01:50 PM
Zorg

Quote:

Closed Thread