United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 03-01-2011, 06:42 PM
Fatboy Shrek

Default Re: David Beckham, aged 23:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnificentSeven
that whole team was incredible imo, becks, ole, giggs, scholes, nev, cole, sheringham, top season
The keeper, Stam, Irwin, Keane, Yorke

Unread 03-01-2011, 07:26 PM
Jez Quigley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
He wasn't. Bar the last two games
Seem to recall him causing havoc in the Juve defence when he came in the semi too - he hit such a purple patch with Utd that season. I alwways think that the way he held up the ball for Beckham's goal v Arse in the FA semi was centre forward work at its best too.

Charity Shield at the start of the following season, I got given tickets for the Arsenal end and was there when he did his 3 medals salute to the Arse fans.

Love the Tedster me - a proper Utd player. Attitude, talent and work ethic in one total package.

Unread 03-01-2011, 07:34 PM
Bunker Buster

Unread 03-01-2011, 08:03 PM
MagnificentSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
He wasn't. Bar the last two games
i'll remember him for the equaliser at barca

Unread 03-01-2011, 08:05 PM
MagnificentSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatboy Shrek
The keeper, Stam, Irwin, Keane, Yorke

Unread 03-01-2011, 08:09 PM
naes_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnificentSeven

Unread 03-01-2011, 08:14 PM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menace
Zidane belongs in the very top bracket IMO.
no chance. lovely player to watch, some captivating performances in big games, but far too inconsistent, frequently disappeared from games.

platini and scholes >>> zidane

Unread 03-01-2011, 08:42 PM
carlosartorial

Sheringham was poor in 98/99. Few decent performances the following season but his overall contribution to that era is skewed by the importance of his goal in Barca. Sorry Jez...

Beckham on the other hand....brilliant player and hugely underrated by the football watching public and to their shame, also many United fans. 6-7 years of fantastic service and the best striker of a dead ball I've ever seen anywhere in football.

Unread 03-01-2011, 08:45 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosartorial
Sheringham was poor in 98/99. Few decent performances the following season but his overall contribution to that era is skewed by the importance of his goal in Barca. Sorry Jez...

Beckham on the other hand....brilliant player and hugely underrated by the football watching public and to their shame, also many United fans. 6-7 years of fantastic service and the best striker of a dead ball I've ever seen anywhere in football.
His last couple of seasons spoiled things, though. Came to think he was bigger than United - always a no-no.

Unread 03-01-2011, 08:46 PM
Sparky***

i think what miffed united fans towards the end with beckham is that he kind of because "david beckham:england captain.....oh and i play for united a bit as well"

didn't bother me, but pissed a lot of people off.

Unread 03-01-2011, 08:51 PM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron_van_Marlon
Love the title of that clip "David Dunn up to his old tricks"

Unread 03-01-2011, 08:52 PM
carlosartorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
His last couple of seasons spoiled things, though. Came to think he was bigger than United - always a no-no.
Not sure he did tbh....in fact I'll contradict you and say '%@#$&!s, thats typical top-redesque 'Liar23' revisionist crap'. Despite his fame and wealth he's anything but big-headed. I didn't see any noticeable drop in performance either.

Unread 03-01-2011, 08:54 PM
carlosartorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
i think what miffed united fans towards the end with beckham is that he kind of because "david beckham:england captain.....oh and i play for united a bit as well"

didn't bother me, but pissed a lot of people off.
Agreed. Crucially, Alex Ferguson.

Unread 03-01-2011, 08:54 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Not sure he did tbh....in fact I'll contradict you and say '%@#$&!s, thats typical top-redesque 'Liar23' revisionist crap'. Despite his fame and wealth he's anything but big-headed. I didn't see any noticeable drop in performance either.
Not in the 2002-03 season, when Ole effectively took his place in the run-in??

Nothing "revisionist" about it carlo, even if you might disagree. A lot of us were pissed off with him at the time

Unread 03-01-2011, 09:01 PM
carlosartorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Not in the 2002-03 season, when Ole effectively took his place in the run-in??

Nothing "revisionist" about it carlo, even if you might disagree. A lot of us were pissed off with him at the time
I think his absences at that point were mainly due to having fallen foul of Ferguson. Loose comparison could be made with Paul Ince who was sold despite playing out-of-his-skin throughout the duration of 94/95.

Unread 03-01-2011, 09:09 PM
borsuk

Quote:
agree entirely

Unread 03-01-2011, 09:46 PM
Argentina

Quote:
I was pissed with him a long time before he left. There was no revisionism. He was very poor in hsi final 2 seasons.
I remember telling my brother how I'd love him to be sent off for England because it would give him something to prove for United.
Solskjaer took his place on the right wing because he was better than him in that season, simple as that.

He thought he'd done it. He'd conquered all his haters from England and he didn't care about the people who supported him through his tough times.

Still was immense from 95-Jan 02

Unread 03-01-2011, 10:01 PM
Sandman

Love Becks tbh

Quote:

“He’s a total footballer, with great movement, energy, unselfishness and technical capabilities. He knows how to work both phases of the game, attack and defence, a professional of the highest standard.

-Arrigo Sacchi

Unread 03-01-2011, 10:12 PM
Gorilla Monsoon

Just can't see why were not considering it, a 3 month loan would be brilliant for us.

Unread 03-01-2011, 10:25 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentina
I was pissed with him a long time before he left. There was no revisionism. He was very poor in hsi final 2 seasons.
I remember telling my brother how I'd love him to be sent off for England because it would give him something to prove for United.
Solskjaer took his place on the right wing because he was better than him in that season, simple as that.

He thought he'd done it. He'd conquered all his haters from England and he didn't care about the people who supported him through his tough times.

Still was immense from 95-Jan 02
How many (or rather how few) goals did we get from his corners in the final couple of seasons??

Became a standing joke amongst United fans, that
Closed Thread