United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 31-12-2010, 11:45 AM
Albert Tatlock

Default Re: United Team of the Decade

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes ear's
Gary Nevilles "approaching the twilight of his career"?

the shit tached @#%&!s
been finished for 3 years
Wash your mouth put with soap and water !

The "Power" is a legend. He may now be finished, but he lived and breathed United and was probably the greatest RB United and England have ever had.

To call him a shit tached @#%&! belittles his fantastic record for club and country. Respect the shirt even if you don't personally like the man.

You should be ashamed of yourself !

Unread 31-12-2010, 11:47 AM
The Watcher

Putting aside my personal view that the ungrateful scouse @#%&! should have been binned, I think Ruud (2001-2004) is far superior to him either leading the line on his own, or playing with a partner. I think it’s fair to say that in his entire United career to date, Rooney’s failed to form a decent partnership with any striker – him and Berbatov are hardly a decent fit atm. tbf to the scouse bastard, he was very good at linking with Ronaldo though. They complemented each other well

Loved Ruud tbh, he was ridiculous during the 2003 campaign. Dragged a poor Real Madrid side to a La Liga title when past his peak. Extraordinary.

Unread 31-12-2010, 11:49 AM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
with keane in for carrick that's our best 11 players position by position. not sure it would all work together, though, in reality. would rooney and ruud work as a pair? maybe, it's not an obvious combination though unless you think rooney works best as a no 10. with ronaldo playing almost as a striker a lot of the time and not exactly being the hardest worker, defensively speaking, would him and giggs together and two up top not leave us exposed in midfield?

ffs bors it's just a debate about the best players at United the past decade.

Unread 31-12-2010, 11:57 AM
Menace

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona
Probably had Beardsmore instead of Best tbh hallucinating.
Came up with this.

Schmeichel
Irwin
Edwards
Foulkes
Byrne (c)
Giggs
Charlton
Scholes
Best
Cantona
Law

Unread 31-12-2010, 12:12 PM
magic_cantona

The best United team that I have seen in the flesh:

Schmeichs
Neville
Stam
Rio
Irwin

Ronaldo (Honourable mention to Kanchelskis.What a £#%&!ing player.Only Ronnie could remove him tbh)
Keane
Robson
Giggs

Cantona
Ruud (Close with Rooney tbh.The lads a genius, has let himself down but lets not forget how fantastic he's been for us.Ruud was an absolute goal monster though.Incredible.)

Too many honurable mentions to mention tbh even Ince.

Unread 31-12-2010, 12:23 PM
Jez Quigley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menace
Came up with this.

Schmeichel
Irwin
Edwards
Ferdinand
Byrne (c)
Giggs
Charlton
Robson
Best
Cantona
Law
that'd be mine from what I've seen, read and heard. Scholes and Phelan just miss out in midfield.

Unread 31-12-2010, 12:32 PM
Menace

How good was Paul McGrath?

I know some people who rate him as the best United defender ever.

Unread 31-12-2010, 12:37 PM
jem

since you clearly haven't seen most of them play, hard to see how you could leave out mcgrath, robson and hughes (who you also never saw play).

mcgrath was the best defender I have seen. on his own. injured. with a hangover.

Unread 31-12-2010, 12:41 PM
Menace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
since you clearly haven't seen most of them play, hard to see how you could leave out mcgrath, robson and hughes (who you also never saw play).

mcgrath was the best defender I have seen. on his own. injured. with a hangover.
I went also on what I've read, heard and been told.

And I am old enough to remember Mark Hughes ffs. But he wouldn't get in front of Cantona or Law IMO.

I left out Robson to make way for Scholes. Scholes is my favourite United player of all time so I was never going to leave him out.

Unread 31-12-2010, 12:41 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem

But I think the most important thing that people want to know is..........do you say McGraah or McGrath

Unread 31-12-2010, 12:43 PM
TravellingRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona
The best United team that I have seen in the flesh:

Schmeichs
Neville
Stam
Rio
Irwin

Ronaldo (Honourable mention to Kanchelskis.What a £#%&!ing player.Only Ronnie could remove him tbh)
Keane
Robson
Giggs

Cantona
Ruud (Close with Rooney tbh.The lads a genius, has let himself down but lets not forget how fantastic he's been for us.Ruud was an absolute goal monster though.Incredible.)

Too many honurable mentions to mention tbh even Ince.
I'd go with that but probably with McGrath and Pallister instead of Stam and Rio. Hard to say upfront, whether to pick Ruud or Hughes, then I always liked big Norm as a kid as well....

Hard isn't it

Unread 31-12-2010, 12:45 PM
TravellingRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of JC
But I think the most important thing that people want to know is..........do you say McGraah or McGrath
McGraah int it. As in ooh aah.

Unread 31-12-2010, 12:46 PM
jem

as for the decade... hard to know where to put veron, but...
tempted to play 4-5-2 and go without a keeper.

vds

neville g - ferdinand - vidic - evra

ronaldo - keane - scholes - giggs

ruud - rooney

not too difficult when hardly anyone else got a look -in.

Unread 31-12-2010, 12:48 PM
The Watcher

Thumbs up Re: United Team of the Decade

Best United side, based on who I’ve actually seen play:

Schmeichel

Irwin
Stam
Rio
Evra

Ronaldo
Keane
Scholes
Giggs

Cantona
Ruud

Beckham and Neville just miss out. On the bench with Whiteside, VDS, Kanchelskis, Ole and Robson.

Unread 31-12-2010, 12:52 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of JC
I say it like an irish pirate.

I love scholesy too, menace. robson was the best player in the world ever (unless you believe what you read about edwards). like scholes if he could tackle and wear the armband.

Unread 31-12-2010, 01:09 PM
Mancunian Red

It would have been interesting to see if Ronaldo would have progressed the same had Ruud stayed. Ronaldo was given a free attacking role and few defensive duties Rooney and Tevez used to make up for this.

And as a conventional winger I don't rate Ronaldo that highly his main strength is his finishing so for me it was a choice between Ruud and Ronaldo. I went with Ronaldo

front three

Rooney Ronaldo Tevez

midfield

Giggs Scholes Keane

Defence

Neville Stam/Vidic Rio Evra

Keeper

VdS

I couldn't choose between Stam and Vidic and Rio is automatic because he is a different type of centre back to those and compliments them although Stam and Vidic might have worked too.

Unread 31-12-2010, 01:17 PM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
Best United side, based on who I’ve actually seen play:

Schmeichel

Irwin
Stam
Rio
Evra

Ronaldo
Keane
Scholes
Giggs

Cantona
Ruud

Beckham and Neville just miss out. On the bench with Whiteside, VDS, Kanchelskis, Ole and Robson.

no rooney in the squad

Unread 31-12-2010, 01:30 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Part 36 Offer

no rooney in the squad
He's dead to me.

Unread 31-12-2010, 01:46 PM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancunian Red
And as a conventional winger I don't rate Ronaldo that highly
Quote:
for me it was a choice between Ruud and Ronaldo. I went with Ronaldo
Quote:
Rooney Ronaldo Tevez
we've had much better wums than this

Unread 31-12-2010, 02:09 PM
Darth Vidic

________________Carroll___________________

Bardsley_____Brown_____Heinze______Silvestre

____________O'Shea____Keane (c)___________

Fletcher________________________Richardson

__________Smith____Van_Nistelrooy_________

Carroll, more reliable than Howard in between the sticks, and a back four that no one would want to mess with makes up my defence. With Bardsley destroying anyone foraying down our right side, Brown browning and Heinze crunching opposition forwards, and Silvestre policing that left flank with electric pace and the concentration of a chess grandmaster, clean sheets are virtually guaranteed.

In central midfield, O'Shea brings a cultured elegance reminiscent of the great German Kaiser. Two footed, and able to cover any of the positions along the back four with equal competence, he provides an excellent foil to the snarling, 'my way or no way' leadership of his counterpart; Royston Keane.

The centremidfield is complimented by the wingers; Fletcher can run up and down that right flank all day, and Richardson possesses a wand of a left foot. Their tactical discipline and lack of creativity is what Keane demands.

Up front, Smith brings back a style reminiscent of the great Mark Hughes. His partner is the wonderful finisher, Ruud Van Nistelrooy, through which every attack must go. There's nothing predictable about this attack though - only the fact that the ball will inevitably end up in the net at some stage.

Beat that
Closed Thread