United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 24-03-2008, 12:33 AM
chorleyred

he couldn't have been clearer, he told him to go away or he would be sent off. he was that pumped up he chose to ignore the warning

there isn't really any defence for him, even the scousers are unanimous on their boards that he was £#%&!ing crazy

Unread 24-03-2008, 12:34 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
Dissent can be cumulative, just like persistent fouling. The earlier instances may well have played into Bennet's decision to give a second yellow, and rightly so IMO.
Sure, but I'm not sure the last incident was even dissent. At the time I was wondering what the £#%&! Torres was being booked for, so regardless of what else he's done in the game, why can't Mascherano ask for an explanation? Ultimately, I think Bennett had had enough of him, which is fair enough, but in the end I think it was a rash reaction to issue a second yellow card for what seemed a pretty unthreatening enquiry into a decision.

Unread 24-03-2008, 12:37 AM
Billy Bigbollox

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Sure, but I'm not sure the last incident was even dissent. At the time I was wondering what the £#%&! Torres was being booked for, so regardless of what else he's done in the game, why can't Mascherano ask for an explanation? Ultimately, I think Bennett had had enough of him, which is fair enough, but in the end I think it was a rash reaction to issue a second yellow card for what seemed a pretty unthreatening enquiry into a decision.
But why should he be questioning the ref's decision, and what's more legging it 20/30 yards to do it. The ref's booked Tores, he's not going to change his mind, just leave it. Like others have said, I think Bennett had enough of his persistent chirping and sent him off. Fair enough I reckon

Unread 24-03-2008, 12:37 AM
chorleyred

ps whatever, I watched cantona kicking simmons on sky before todays game

Unread 24-03-2008, 12:40 AM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
What was the offence, though?

I don't think how far he ran in order to speak to Bennett is relevant at all.
tv pictures clearly show that he sniped at the ref from the moment he got the 1st yellow to the moment he got the 2nd. cannot believe you are defending his pathetic behaviour tbh. if the decisions he was moaning about had been debateable then he may well have had some mitigation for being such a little £#%&!er. but they weren't. if the ref had just jumped on the 1st chance to book him then maybe sarcastic applause would've been in order. but it was a two-footed lunge. you can tell he's as thick as pig shit just by looking at him though, tbf

Unread 24-03-2008, 12:40 AM
denis lawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by chorleyred
i wrote that in my reply...but then deleted it ....and inserted a instead

Unread 24-03-2008, 12:42 AM
chorleyred

Quote:

he told him to £#%&! off on 3 different occasions

he stuck his finger in his face on 2 different occasions

he mouthed off at the linesman after fouling ronaldo (a clear foul)

he ran 20 yards to get involved in torres booking (which came for dissent after THEY had been given a free kick)

bennet clearly said go away or I will send you off.

mascherano chose to put his head in closer after being told this

bennett has said he sent him off for persistent dissent, which under the rules is verbal or actions.

there's just no argument for him

Unread 24-03-2008, 12:49 AM
chorleyred

oh and watch rafacam on sky as he books torres, he jumps out of his seat and runs down the steps towards the pitch shouting 'no javier, no javier, no javier' as mascherano is heading for the official

whatever he says now he knew exactly what was coming

Unread 24-03-2008, 12:49 AM
Whatever

Quote:
Originally Posted by chorleyred
Damn I missed it... anyway the Cantona thing is hardly something you see every week so it's obviously something that will be shown so slightly different

Unread 24-03-2008, 12:57 AM
S/Side.Red

But was what he did after Torres was booked an offence? You can talk about accumulation, but it's only accumulation if that final incident was an offence, surely? However many times he's told the ref to £#%&! off, aggressively objected to decisions and so on, was going over to the ref and asking what happened to lead to Torres yellow card an offence? I don't see how it can be.

Unread 24-03-2008, 01:00 AM
chorleyred

Quote:
But was what he did after Torres was booked an offence? You can talk about accumulation, but it's only accumulation if that final incident was an offence, surely? However many times he's told the ref to £#%&! off, aggressively objected to decisions and so on, was going over to the ref and asking what happened to lead to Torres yellow card an offence? I don't see how it can be.

he went close on head to head with the ref after being told seconds earlier if he didn't go away he would be sent off.

so yes the ref deemed it an offence and had warned him first, as did the liverpool players round him who tried to drag him away in the first place

as for torres he obviously said something then suggested something with his hands and it was at this point bennett went for his card. until the hand action bennetts hands were nowhere near his pockets and he was walking away after giving torres a free kick, not us, them a free kick

and that said, it's got £#%&! all to do with the argy. he was challenged on every foul today by mascherano. fair play to bennett for standing up for himself.

hopefully other players will look at this and think twice

Unread 24-03-2008, 01:03 AM
denis lawless

Thumbs down

Quote:

[SIZE="4"]to S/Side Red ....for persistantly refusing to see the bigger picture

Unread 24-03-2008, 01:11 AM
S/Side.Red

Unread 24-03-2008, 01:14 AM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
What sort of liability of a footballer would deliberately go out of his way to aim dissent at an official who has just booked his team-mate for dissent, and then continue despite the fact the ref had just told him to back off or he'll send him off?

Strange defence of a non-United player. Even stranger for Mascherano to almost deliberately get himself sent off. £#%&!ing #@&%!.

Unread 24-03-2008, 01:19 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
What sort of liability of a footballer would deliberately go out of his way to aim dissent at an official who has just booked his team-mate for dissent, and then continue despite the fact the ref had just told him to back off or he'll send him off?

Strange defence of a non-United player. Even stranger for Mascherano to almost deliberately get himself sent off. £#%&!ing #@&%!.
Well, we're going in circles here. I don't think what Mascherano did was dissent. It looked to me like he was asking the ref why he'd booked Torres, which I don't think is an unreasonable thing to do.

Unread 24-03-2008, 01:22 AM
wonky no

Quote:
Well, we're going in circles here. I don't think what Mascherano did was dissent. It looked to me like he was asking the ref why he'd booked Torres, which I don't think is an unreasonable thing to do.
he should have asked torres

Unread 24-03-2008, 01:23 AM
Luffy

watching the game, I was thinking Mascherano was being a stupid @#%&! and should get sent off for dissent - never imagined it would've actually happened. Well done Bennett for making the call, Mascherano had it coming. Clattenberg went the stupid "hey player's lets all get along, I'm just one of the boys" approach and I thought it was shit. he's not one of the boys and he shouldn't put himself in a position where he lets people off cos he's friendly.

If I was the ref and some poof stands up after I award him a freekick and starts bitching to me for the 5th time about god knows what, I'd feel justified booking him. If one of his mates then runs over and starts complaining for the 8th time, I wouldn't even think about it - another booking.

Unread 24-03-2008, 01:27 AM
Zorg

Thumbs up

Quote:
I don't think what Mascherano did was dissent.
And on that, you are quite simply incorrect.

Unread 24-03-2008, 01:33 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
And on that, you are quite simply incorrect.
I have only seen the incident replayed once, but from what I saw he goes over to Bennett and quite cleary says "what happened?" in relation to the Torres booking. Is that dissent?

Unread 24-03-2008, 01:48 AM
chorleyred

being told to go away or be sent off and not going away is dissent against the referee.

the captain is the person that should speak to bennett if he isn't happy
Closed Thread