United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 23-03-2008, 11:59 PM
wonky no

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
If simply asking the referee why he booked a teammate is dissent, ungentlemanly conduct or anything worthy of a yellow card then we'd have no players by half time.

Mascherano may well have done enough in that half to warrant two yellow cards, I'm not sure, but that particular incident was a joke.
what gives him the right to question the ref? lets have everyone lining up after every decision to politely ask the ref 'whats it for'.

the refs decision is final by questioning the decision you are showing dissent.

Unread 23-03-2008, 11:59 PM
Manchester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ether
Don't be soft. I've seen Rooney do exactly what Mascherano did today before and not walk for it.
Don't you be soft then, Rooney got sent off for a sarcastic clap at the ref in the Champions League.

So Mascherano getting sent off for telling the ref to "£#%&! off" god knows how many times is pretty well justified. The fact that his own players tried to drag him away from the ref twice before being sent off.

Mascherano was a #@&%!, what the £#%&! he was playing at I don't know. Bennett was hardly going to take back the booking he'd give to that diving @#%&! Torres was he???

Bout time a ref had the balls to book players who mouth off like £#%&!. Just be nice to see the refs do this consistently now.

Unread 24-03-2008, 12:03 AM
Ether

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manchester
Don't you be soft then, Rooney got sent off for a sarcastic clap at the ref in the Champions League.
And that was deserved was it

Unread 24-03-2008, 12:05 AM
Whatever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Mcgrath
Turn the tables, imagine if Rooney had done the same thing, booked for a shit challenge, then hovered round the ref for the rest of his time on the pitch, pointing his finger in the refs face, telling him to £#%&! off every 5 minutes, running 20 yards to confront him... It'd be all over the papers, and nobody except us would be defending him.
This line of 'if Rooney had done it...' that is trotted out all the time is %@#$&!s FFS. It actually now sounds like a parody it's said so often. I know for a fact everytime Rooney gets in the face of a ref it doesn't make the papers or the news... just like it doesn't when most players do. Get over it seriously.

Unread 24-03-2008, 12:07 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by chorleyred
he was sent off for persistent dissent.

how many times did he tell bennet to £#%&! off in that first half.
Well he should have been sent off for that then (although Rooney does it all the time). Like I say, there may well have been enough in that first half to vindicate a red card for Mascherano, but the supposed offence that got him the second yellow was a joke, imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughes......oh i say!
what gives him the right to question the ref? lets have everyone lining up after every decision to politely ask the ref 'whats it for'.

the refs decision is final by questioning the decision you are showing dissent.
I wouldn't particularly agree with that anyway, but it looked to me like Mascherano wasn't even questioning the decision. From what I saw it looked as if he saw Torres get fouled, then Torres gets booked so he was enquiring as to what happened.

Like I say, if simply questioning the ref's decision is worth a yellow card, there'd be nobody left within twenty minutes. For me, it's about the nature of the protest. I saw nothing in what Mascherano did that warranted the second yellow.

I think, as pointed out, Bennett was under pressure from his superiors and made an example of him. But I think he got it badly wrong.

Unread 24-03-2008, 12:08 AM
denis lawless

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatever
This line of 'if Rooney had done it...' that is trotted out all the time is %@#$&!s FFS. It actually now sounds like a parody it's said so often. I know for a fact everytime Rooney gets in the face of a ref it doesn't make the papers or the news... just like it doesn't when most players do. Get over it seriously.
ive seen the D'Urso incident at least 3 times in the papers this week....... and that was from 8 £#%&!in years ago.....if its United ..its news..however old

Unread 24-03-2008, 12:09 AM
Manchester

Quote:
And that was deserved was it
Course it was, Rooney behaved like a #@&%! and was quite rightly sent on his way for an early bath.

This is the only time where Rugby has the upper hand over football. The ref is called Sir, and is treated with respect. A bit of that wouldn't go amiss in our game. And would soon see winging @#%&!s like "JT" put in his place.

Fair enough, things went for us today, but when on the wrong end of a decision we just got on with it. Whereas the scouse @#%&!s moaned. Torres and Mascherano mithered the ref about every tackle against liverpool.

Unread 24-03-2008, 12:10 AM
Whatever

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis lawless
ive seen the D'Urso incident at least 3 times in the papers this week....... and that was from 8 £#%&!in years ago.....if its United ..its news..however old
I agree the D'Urso incident does come up all the time - that was Keane though wasn't it?

BUT this feeling that Rooney is punished for everything or made an example of, i just don't agree with. Seriously. He doesn't get treated worse by refs or the papers.

Unread 24-03-2008, 12:10 AM
Ether

Quote:
What on earth has that got to do with Rooney

Unread 24-03-2008, 12:12 AM
denis lawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manchester
Course it was, Rooney behaved like a #@&%! and was quite rightly sent on his way for an early bath.

This is the only time where Rugby has the upper hand over football. The ref is called Sir, and is treated with respect. A bit of that wouldn't go amiss in our game. And would soon see winging @#%&!s like "JT" put in his place.

Fair enough, things went for us today, but when on the wrong end of a decision we just got on with it. Whereas the scouse @#%&!s moaned. Torres and Mascherano mithered the ref about every tackle against liverpool.
that @#%&! takes his own whistle and cards out onto the pitch with him

Unread 24-03-2008, 12:13 AM
chorleyred

didn't I read somewhere that only the captains can approach refs now?

the fact that rooney does it all the time is irrelevant. the fa and premier league want to make players respect officials more

today bennett, under orders about what he should allow and not, has started the clean up they want

It's up to his colleagues now to follow his example. won't take long for players to realise telling a ref to £#%&! off leads to an early bath

yes rooney is as bad as any, wors than most but how many times do you reckon fergie would let him get sent off before the riot act was read to him

Unread 24-03-2008, 12:17 AM
denis lawless

Quote:
What on earth has that got to do with Rooney
nowt....just pointing out that incidents involving United are rolled out as examples of bad behaviour at every opportunity....we're still blamed for "ruining" the FA Cup....Eric for booting the Palace £#%&!er.....

anything negative....and its always traced back to United one way or another.....a old player pissed and falls over somewhere...hes played for half a dozen teams...but its always "ex-United player Joe Blogs"

Unread 24-03-2008, 12:20 AM
Whatever

Quote:
nowt....just pointing out that incidents involving United are rolled out as examples of bad behaviour at every opportunity....we're still blamed for "ruining" the FA Cup....Eric for booting the Palace £#%&!er.....

anything negative....and its always traced back to United one way or another.....a old player pissed and falls over somewhere...hes played for half a dozen teams...but its always "ex-United player Joe Blogs"
You're getting paranoid in your old age Dennis... haven't heard Cantona incident mentioned for years...the other day on the tv they said re: United 'they really love the FA Cup' etc.

Every fan (bar Arsenal cos i just don't believe anything bad is ever said about them) thinks things are against them because you remember the bad and forget the good...

Don't even start me on being victimised

Unread 24-03-2008, 12:21 AM
Serenity Now

At least you could tell he was on the pitch. What the £#%&! happened to Stevie G? Did he get lost in the tunnel or something?

Unread 24-03-2008, 12:24 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
I wonder if those defending Mascherano saw MOTD's coverage tonight? They showed him repeatedly telling the ref to £#%&! off, wagging his finger in his face, hassling him time and again after decisions that didn't even involve him at all.
I didn't see it, but that doesn't sound very uncommon behaviour in the modern game.

But the point I'm making is that, regardless of what he'd done during the rest of the game, I cannot see how what he did in that particular instance was an offence. You can quite clearly see him saying "what happened?" which was a fair enough enquiry after Torres was booked for £#%&! knows what.

Unread 24-03-2008, 12:26 AM
Grimson

Quote:
Well he should have been sent off for that then (although Rooney does it all the time). Like I say, there may well have been enough in that first half to vindicate a red card for Mascherano, but the supposed offence that got him the second yellow was a joke, imo.
Dissent can be cumulative, just like persistent fouling. The earlier instances may well have played into Bennet's decision to give a second yellow, and rightly so IMO.

Unread 24-03-2008, 12:28 AM
Grimson

Quote:
I didn't see it, but that doesn't sound very uncommon behaviour in the modern game.

But the point I'm making is that, regardless of what he'd done during the rest of the game, I cannot see how what he did in that particular instance was an offence. You can quite clearly see him saying "what happened?" which was a fair enough enquiry after Torres was booked for £#%&! knows what.
See my previous - there's no reason it had to be just that instance. What he did earlier in the game very much matters. Persistent fouling, persistent dissent- same principle.

Unread 24-03-2008, 12:28 AM
Zorg

Quote:

It's called 'repeated dissent' - this was his fifth or sixth harrassment of Bennett, who had clearly had enough of giving him warnings. How many warnings do you have to get before you get a yellow card?

I don't think shrugging off a team-mate helped his cause either, probably made him look aggressive. And running 20 yards to ask 'what happened?'...erm, why would you do that exactly?

It's one of the most clear-cut second yellow cards you could ever wish to see.

Unread 24-03-2008, 12:31 AM
tatty

Loved him sending the @#%&! off and it was fully deserved.

If it had been a United player i'd have been screaming at the injustice.

Unread 24-03-2008, 12:32 AM
denis lawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatever
You're getting paranoid in your old age Dennis... haven't heard Cantona incident mentioned for years...the other day on the tv they said re: United 'they really love the FA Cup' etc.

Every fan (bar Arsenal cos i just don't believe anything bad is ever said about them) thinks things are against them because you remember the bad and forget the good...

Don't even start me on being victimised
Paranoid ? me ? ...... whos been saying that ?

Closed Thread