Yes 2 2.70%
No 72 97.30%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Unread 05-03-2017, 07:49 PM
gav81

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScholesGingerSheen
I wouldn't bin Mourinho for him by any stretch, but to be fair Keano's win percentages in his previous management jobs are about the same as Luis Enrique's in the Roma and Celta jobs he had before he was handed the Barca job.

I appreciate this boards standards are has to have won the European Cup somewhere else but once Ancelotti retires we'll be clean out of names from our Great Managers of the Early 21st Century book to appoint.
That's the thing, Keano at a relatively young age is a manager with Championship, Premier League and International experience and his record is good when viewed in context. At least as good as others in the new breed of managers before they got their shot at a big club...

You look at Conte who managed in the lower leagues in Italy and was relegated with Arezzo. He got his shot in Serie A and quit with Atalanta 19th position. Then in came Juventus, largely on the basis he was a former captain who fit their culture, and he's never looked back.

Why did De Boer get the Ajax job, Pochettino get the Espanyol job, Simeone get the Atletico job, Klopp get the Mainz job, Zidane get the Madrid job... all former leaders/captains who fit the culture. Keano is our version of these guys, but better.

An example missing from the list above is Guardiola at Barcelona who I wanted to mention separately. Prior to the 08/09 season it was a straight fight between Mourinho and Guardiola for the Barcelona job. Mourinho with multiple league titles, domestic cups, the UEFA Cup and Champions League to his name. Guardiola who was inexperienced and completely untested at the top level. The board chose Guardiola on the basis that he best fit the club culture. Given he made them arguably the best team in the history of the game, it was the right decision.

Culture over trophies all day – this is the example the United board should follow.

Unread 05-03-2017, 08:11 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScholesGingerSheen
I wouldn't bin Mourinho for him by any stretch, but to be fair Keano's win percentages in his previous management jobs are about the same as Luis Enrique's in the Roma and Celta jobs he had before he was handed the Barca job.

I appreciate this boards standards are has to have won the European Cup somewhere else but once Ancelotti retires we'll be clean out of names from our Great Managers of the Early 21st Century book to appoint.
Which just shows you how meaningless quoting "win percentages" is without any context. After all, Gollum at United doesn't do terribly on THAT yardstick

Unread 05-03-2017, 09:47 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by gav81
Keane is the same as Fergie: a master motivator but also hardline and not one to back down on his views. It's another aspect where the two are the same
Any evidence of Keane being a master motivator?

Fergies knowledge of psychology and man management is as skilled as anyone that's ever managed. If you think keane's man mangement is on a par with Fergie there's not much left to say. I dare say it's something he's been working on as he seems to have learnt from his previous experiences, and i do think he will be a top manager once he's done his time learning the craft. In the next ten years he needs to stand out managing a club like forest and then he has a shot.

Unread 05-03-2017, 10:39 PM
Ranier Wolfcastle

Did Keane take Liam Miller off us when he was Sunderland manager?

Bit of a red flag

Unread 05-03-2017, 11:28 PM
gav81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy Dodger
Any evidence of Keane being a master motivator?
Are you kidding me?

"He (Keane) was the most influential presence in the dressing room in the time we worked together. Roy took a lot of onus off me in making sure the dressing room was operating at a high level of motivation."

~Alex Ferguson

“He (Keane) is the player that has the most influence in a dressing room that I have ever seen.

“I have been in many dressing rooms and with very important players but I remember reaching half time in games and it was only him that spoke, the one that made the speech.

“Sir Alex Ferguson was to one side and he (Keane) spoke. I am still profoundly affected by him.”

~Gerard Pique

“He (Keane) was a great presence at United, a man who could lift everyone around him. Even when you thought you were giving 100 per cent, he would somehow squeeze another 10 out of you.”

~Gary Neville

“Roy is a great leader and can cajole team-mates into better performances.”

~Phil Neville

“His motivation worked. He only wanted the best.”

~Andy Cole

“There are not many players I've played with who have the passion that he (Keane) has, and the drive. He was one of the reasons why we were so successful at Manchester United, because of his drive. He made us better players and better people.”

~David Beckham

“He (Keane) was the manager on the football pitch. If you did something wrong you knew about it. He tried to get the best out of everyone to get a result for his team.”

~Paul Scholes

“I saw that day why United were winners and why Roy was at the heart of it. I still think it was sad the way he left Old Trafford - but he was a tremendous influence on me while he was there.”

~Rio Ferdinand

“He (Keane) was our captain, he was our leader and he left a mark: where we are now is down to him, our dedication comes from the standards he set. The rules about time-keeping, about getting in a half-hour early, they were his instructions back in the day and those traditions continue.”

~Darren Fletcher (four years after Keane's departure)

That was as a player but Keane led by his will and that is a leadership skill transferable from captain to manager. Thus why 6 months before their fallout, Fergie said this: -

"But when I do move on I would like to see Roy Keane taking over.

"He is a leader on the pitch and he could be that kind of leader sitting on the Manchester United bench, too."

~Alex Ferguson, April 2005

And so it has proven: -

“He (Keane) wants better things all the time and he is a great manager to have around you. He is always trying to get the best out of everyone and produce a great team.

“As a player, it has got to come from yourself, a bit of belief and a bit of drive and a bit of will to win. But the manager has a big influence on that. The lads are oozing with confidence now.”

~Phil Bardsley, Sunderland

“People look at him and think he is an angry manager, but he gets the best out of players. He got the best out of me.

“I think he would be a great manager now given the opportunity, I really do think that.”

~Danny Higginbotham, Sunderland

"He told me to believe in my ability and, having played in the same position, he taught me a few things about the game which are really helping now. He was very good at building my confidence up.

"I've been on the receiving end of a few of his dressing-room tantrums, but he only did that when it was deserved, when the team hadn't performed. And, much as he could really dish it out, he was always very quick to praise you when you did well."

~Jack Colback, Ipswich

“Every time I'm around the squad, he's flooded me with confidence and he's one of the main reasons for my success, so I thank Roy for all his help.”

~Jack Grealish, Aston Villa

“Personally speaking he was fantastic for me. He always made me feel good and he always put in some good finishing sessions. I can’t speak highly enough of him and for me he was fantastic.”

~Darren Bent, Aston Villa

“Roy was buoyant. He reminded me that you can't get dispirited. He looked at the fixture list and said, 'We've got Gibraltar away, Georgia and Germany at home, we can win those.' We had enough games to turn it around. His positivity, I recognised it and felt it. I never feel Roy is anything else."

~Martin O'Neill (credits Keano for pep talk after 1-1 draw with Scotland in Euro 16 qualifying)

“If you don't have a burning desire to play after talking to Roy Keane, you're probably best off giving up.”

~Harry Arter, Republic of Ireland

“He’d lead my team and inspire them.”

~Eric Cantona (on Keane's inclusion in his all time World XI)

I think that's enough on Keano's motivational ability. So far as I'm concerned he's second only to Fergie. Oh and because you mentioned it, he likes a read of sports psychology books too.

Unread 05-03-2017, 11:31 PM
S/Side.Red

You're a mess, but enjoyed the quotes tbf. Yhgr.

Unread 05-03-2017, 11:35 PM
Buck

Gav, go to bed.

Unread 05-03-2017, 11:38 PM
£#%&! KFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
Gav, go to bed.
prefer if he went to the bottom of a lake tbh...a very deep one

Unread 06-03-2017, 06:51 AM
Sapien

You have to admire gav's commitment here. He's put together a good argument.

Unread 06-03-2017, 06:54 AM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drexl
go and get the guitar

Unread 06-03-2017, 02:24 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Are you kidding me?...

... I think that's enough on Keano's motivational ability. So far as I'm concerned he's second only to Fergie. Oh and because you mentioned it, he likes a read of sports psychology books too.
I don't doubt it as a player. There's far more to motivation and man management as a manager, which is why he's decided to become an assistant to learn the trade. Robson was a better leader and more inspirational as a player btw, and keane's has so far proven no better than Robson was as a manager. If he was second only to Fergie, he wouldn't be an assistant.

Quote:
So summing that up: amazing, great guy, cannot thank him enough, fair, compliments, made me feel on top of the world, liked him, praise, inspired me, words of encouragement, appreciate it, amazed at how he really is, quite calm, brilliant at taking the pressure off, great for me, great for everyone, nothing but thanks, fine to talk to, there for advice, friendly man and very helpful.

Don't believe everything you read in the rags.
A little rule I follow is public statements by people in football mean very little where the truth is concerned, so you kinda wasted your time thinking you were proving something.

Keane can have the united job when he's learnt his trade as assistant and then made a success of his next managerial job. I'd be ecstatic if he made it.

Quote:
I've got more if you need it.
You say that as if it's a good thing.

Unread 06-03-2017, 02:36 PM
believe

Quote:
I don't doubt it as a player. There's far more to motivation and man management as a manager, which is why he's decided to become an assistant to learn the trade. Robson was a better leader and more inspirational as a player btw, and keane's has so far proven no better than Robson was as a manager. If he was second only to Fergie, he wouldn't be an assistant.

Be ideal if someone needs a lift home though

Unread 06-03-2017, 03:34 PM
gav81

Quote:
Come on Jammy, I made a big point of addressing this mid way down the post: -

Quote:
That was as a player but Keane led by his will and that is a leadership skill transferable from captain to manager. Thus why 6 months before their fallout, Fergie said this: -

"But when I do move on I would like to see Roy Keane taking over.

"He is a leader on the pitch and he could be that kind of leader sitting on the Manchester United bench, too."

~Alex Ferguson, April 2005

And so it has proven: -

“He (Keane) wants better things all the time and he is a great manager to have around you. He is always trying to get the best out of everyone and produce a great team.

“As a player, it has got to come from yourself, a bit of belief and a bit of drive and a bit of will to win. But the manager has a big influence on that. The lads are oozing with confidence now.”

~Phil Bardsley, Sunderland

“People look at him and think he is an angry manager, but he gets the best out of players. He got the best out of me.

“I think he would be a great manager now given the opportunity, I really do think that.”

~Danny Higginbotham, Sunderland

"He told me to believe in my ability and, having played in the same position, he taught me a few things about the game which are really helping now. He was very good at building my confidence up.

"I've been on the receiving end of a few of his dressing-room tantrums, but he only did that when it was deserved, when the team hadn't performed. And, much as he could really dish it out, he was always very quick to praise you when you did well."

~Jack Colback, Ipswich

“Every time I'm around the squad, he's flooded me with confidence and he's one of the main reasons for my success, so I thank Roy for all his help.”

~Jack Grealish, Aston Villa

“Personally speaking he was fantastic for me. He always made me feel good and he always put in some good finishing sessions. I can’t speak highly enough of him and for me he was fantastic.”

~Darren Bent, Aston Villa

“Roy was buoyant. He reminded me that you can't get dispirited. He looked at the fixture list and said, 'We've got Gibraltar away, Georgia and Germany at home, we can win those.' We had enough games to turn it around. His positivity, I recognised it and felt it. I never feel Roy is anything else."

~Martin O'Neill (credits Keano for pep talk after 1-1 draw with Scotland in Euro 16 qualifying)

“If you don't have a burning desire to play after talking to Roy Keane, you're probably best off giving up.”

~Harry Arter, Republic of Ireland

“He’d lead my team and inspire them.”

~Eric Cantona (on Keane's inclusion in his all time World XI)

I think that's enough on Keano's motivational ability. So far as I'm concerned he's second only to Fergie. Oh and because you mentioned it, he likes a read of sports psychology books too.

Also Fergie was an assistant under Jock Stein at Scotland and it didn't hurt him.

Quote:
A little rule I follow is public statements by people in football mean very little where the truth is concerned, so you kinda wasted your time thinking you were proving something.
Depends if there's the possibility of an ulterior motive. Which in the case of the testimony I provided there isn't, especially since it's all corroborative.

Unread 06-03-2017, 03:58 PM
red in cumbria

Jesus, you're STILL at it??

Unread 06-03-2017, 04:02 PM
Zorg

And that's Phil Bardsley, so...

Closed Thread