Default Re: Non United transfer %@#$&!s thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloane
eh lads dont worry, july 1st tomorrow.
25million
plus the 80 ronaldo money
just a matter of time before gill starts throwing money and other clubs

or not
They've got plenty of money but there's no value to be had. They'll wait until January but wont buy then as the players we want will still be in the big competitions and their clubs wont want to sell then.

Unread 30-06-2010, 08:35 PM
borsuk

ferguson has never swayed from what he said at the end of the season: that he's happy with the squad, bar a bit of tweaking. you can believe him or not, as you wish, but all the 'we need so and so' and 'we're weak in such and such a position' is from fans who, truth be told, have never gone into a summer saying 'let's not buy anyone'. fergie has been entirely consistent whether, as i say, you believe him or not.

Unread 30-06-2010, 09:42 PM
Liu Jian

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
ferguson has never swayed from what he said at the end of the season: that he's happy with the squad, bar a bit of tweaking. you can believe him or not, as you wish, but all the 'we need so and so' and 'we're weak in such and such a position' is from fans who, truth be told, have never gone into a summer saying 'let's not buy anyone'. fergie has been entirely consistent whether, as i say, you believe him or not.
What happened to improving from a position of strength?

Oh that's right, the stream of youngsters we've had coming through mean there's been plenty of times when we haven't needed anyone...

Unread 30-06-2010, 10:02 PM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liu Jian

Oh that's right, the stream of youngsters we've had coming through mean there's been plenty of times when we haven't needed anyone...
we've signed two players so far and none have left. i can't really comment on smalling but hernandez looks a gem. certainly far far more impressive in the world cup than silva, for example.

inevitably, the takeover means everything is interpreted in the light of the debt, so any time we don't buy someone it appears to be assumed that we wanted to but couldn't on, as far as i can see, no evidence whatsoever.

not sure what the comment about youngsters is all about tbh. nothing i'd like more than to see two or three youngsters come through next season.

Unread 30-06-2010, 10:08 PM
THEOS

Quote:
we've signed two players so far and none have left. i can't really comment on smalling but hernandez looks a gem. certainly far far more impressive in the world cup than silva, for example.

inevitably, the takeover means everything is interpreted in the light of the debt, so any time we don't buy someone it appears to be assumed that we wanted to but couldn't on, as far as i can see, no evidence whatsoever.

not sure what the comment about youngsters is all about tbh. nothing i'd like more than to see two or three youngsters come through next season.
Foster and Tosic?

Unread 30-06-2010, 10:17 PM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEOS
Foster and Tosic?
combined appearances? i mean, a few of the kids have been released, a few with some first team appearances have left as well but i don't think we've lost anybody who would actually have contributed next season even if they had stayed.

Unread 30-06-2010, 10:18 PM
ScarFace

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEOS
Foster and Tosic?
Berbatov, Vidic and 10000 fans?

Unread 30-06-2010, 10:39 PM
Liu Jian

Quote:

I think I'd base any comparison between Silva and Hernandez on what they've done in their careers to this point, not on 4 games in the World Cup.

My point is that fans are entitled to always want new signings at the end of the season, because a real fan what his team to progress, not regress.

Unread 30-06-2010, 10:48 PM
borsuk

Quote:
I think I'd base any comparison between Silva and Hernandez on what they've done in their careers to this point, not on 4 games in the World Cup.

My point is that fans are entitled to always want new signings at the end of the season, because a real fan what his team to progress, not regress.
and my point is that progression isn't measured by who you buy, nor regression by who you don't.

on hernandez and silva, i think both are unknown quantities in terms of how they will suit the premier league. silva's a very good player but there is an element of flavour of the month about him this summer. hernandez looks great, who knows how it will turn out.

Unread 30-06-2010, 11:07 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
You have to be in a position of strength to begin with

Unread 30-06-2010, 11:40 PM
Liu Jian

Quote:
and my point is that progression isn't measured by who you buy, nor regression by who you don't.

on hernandez and silva, i think both are unknown quantities in terms of how they will suit the premier league. silva's a very good player but there is an element of flavour of the month about him this summer. hernandez looks great, who knows how it will turn out.
You buy with the expectation of progress. If you make bad signings, or you don't buy anyone, you either stand still or get worse.

Look at City last season. They made some good signings and closed the gap on us significantly. Do you honestly believe they won't further close the gap if we don't improve?

Unread 30-06-2010, 11:47 PM
Grimson

Quote:
If you make bad signings, or you don't buy anyone, you either stand still or get worse.
You're forgetting an important element - the development of young players already in the squad. We saw it last season with Nani and Evans.

Unread 30-06-2010, 11:55 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Look at City last season. They made some good signings and closed the gap on us significantly.
no they didn't

i saw city three times last season. the two against United they were second best by a distance not reflected on the scoreboard

the other time they were pretty embarrassingly bad, although they did beat villa in the end

the season before last city actually beat united home and away if you recall

gap closed? not a lot. gap "significantly" closed? don't make me laugh.

Unread 30-06-2010, 11:58 PM
Liu Jian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
You're forgetting an important element - the development of young players already in the squad. We saw it last season with Nani and Evans.
No. I just think that several are not good enough from what I've seen - Obertan, Diouf, Gibson and Welbeck. The best ones imo, Morrison and Pogba are too young to enter the first team, hence Fergie hasn't mentioned them in that context.

IMO we need to improve the first eleven, Hernandez and Smalling will be squad players next season.

Unread 01-07-2010, 12:02 AM
Liu Jian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
no they didn't

i saw city three times last season. the two against United they were second best by a distance not reflected on the scoreboard

the other time they were pretty embarrassingly bad, although they did beat villa in the end

the season before last city actually beat united home and away if you recall

gap closed? not a lot. gap "significantly" closed? don't make me laugh.
1 Manchester United (C) 38 28 6 4 68 24 +44 90
10 Manchester City 38 15 5 18 58 50 +8 50

2 Manchester United 38 27 4 7 86 28 +58 85
5 Manchester City 38 18 13 7 73 45 +28 67

Hope that doesn't 'make you laugh' . I prefer to rate teams based on a whole season - not on how they perform in two derbies .

Unread 01-07-2010, 12:10 AM
Sparky***

Quote:

Hope that doesn't 'make you laugh' . I prefer to rate teams based on a whole season - not on how they perform in two derbies .
People will mock but they'll keep throwing money at it until they win something. I wonder will the same people be finding it so funny when they're surrounded by gloating bitters 24/7.

Unread 01-07-2010, 12:10 AM
Rhodzy

Quote:
No. I just think that several are not good enough from what I've seen - Obertan, Diouf, Gibson and Welbeck. The best ones imo, Morrison and Pogba are too young to enter the first team, hence Fergie hasn't mentioned them in that context.

IMO we need to improve the first eleven, Hernandez and Smalling will be squad players next season.

Unread 01-07-2010, 12:13 AM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:

07/08 season

United 87pts
City 55pts

your point is turd

as i say, i saw City three times, including two derbies

Unread 01-07-2010, 12:15 AM
wonky no

raul!

Unread 01-07-2010, 12:16 AM
Liu Jian

So a 22-point swing in one season isn't significant...

You'd make a good politician with statements like that.
Closed Thread