United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
View Poll Results: who do you want to get rid of?
foster 104 63.41%
kuszczak 28 17.07%
neville 85 51.83%
brown 13 7.93%
vidic 9 5.49%
ferdinand 8 4.88%
o'shea 33 20.12%
carrick 73 44.51%
anderson 53 32.32%
hargreaves 26 15.85%
park 17 10.37%
scholes 37 22.56%
de laet 37 22.56%
gibson 53 32.32%
obertan 29 17.68%
welbeck 41 25.00%
macheda 26 15.85%
owen 86 52.44%
berbatov 110 67.07%
diouf 37 22.56%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Unread 11-04-2010, 10:58 PM
Coracao

Default Re: the definitive get rid thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off
So you think we should sign Philips?
He'd be a better option than Benitez.

Unread 11-04-2010, 11:09 PM
taff

the only two i went for were foster, who just doesn't have the mentality to make it at this level, and diouf, who is another manucho-in-waiting as far as i'm concerned.

agree with switchers about giggs and scholes, but we need to be phasing in replacements. i wavered over neville, but old heads and club men are worth having in the squad even if they're not playing regularly - and for the most part, he's shown this season that he can no longer keep the pace. hopefully he'll know when to say enough's enough.

time will tell whether hargreaves will be the same player he was pre-injury. i hope so. also whether rio is in terminal decline, which i suspect he is. again, we need to be planning long-term, especially if vidic is intent on £#%&!ing off sooner rather than later.

welbeck, macheda and obertan have shown enough promise to justify keeping them, but it's getting to make-or-break time. anderson and carrick badly need to rediscover their early form or the same applies to them. in the absence of any conceivable options up front, we don't have much choice but to hang on to owen.

on the whole, i think the squad has a £#%&!load of ability that it is failing to realise. the main problem is our temperament - at some points we've lacked confidence and drive, at others we've become too complacent. it was a problem post-'99, and i think it's been a problem post-'08.

and then there's berbatov. £#%&! it, i don't even know where i stand on him any more. i think we're looking to him for the wrong things, but whilst he has unquestionable ability i don't think we're the sort of team to deploy it as necessary.

Unread 11-04-2010, 11:12 PM
Wafty Crank

Quote:
Originally Posted by £#%&! KFC
what a surprise Berbatov polling most votes
Why and ?

Are you suggesting he shouldn't be £#%&!ed off*?

* Assuming we can afford a replacement, obv.

Unread 12-04-2010, 12:06 AM
Sparky***

we're not going to get much from michael owen.

It's like being given a car that's repeatedly failed it's MOT and then wondering why it breaks down all the time. You can't rely on it, it's going to break down when you need it the most...just get rid and buy a decent one.

Unread 12-04-2010, 12:19 AM
borsuk

surprised so many people want rid of anderson tbh

Unread 12-04-2010, 12:28 AM
f.l.a.t.s

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
Must admit i did hover over him and think about it,ive defended him at times and hoped he will realise what he has,but i just cant see him turning it around.

Would love him to prove me wrong but?.

Unread 12-04-2010, 12:32 AM
red in cumbria

Quote:
I'm not - gratified to see so many votes for Carrick too

Is it me, or has Sullers voted for practically everybody??

Unread 12-04-2010, 12:55 AM
History

Everyone in the squad at the moment except O'shea deserves to have a place in the squad. All of them are good players. All we need really is a few players who have that cutting edge to go with Rooney.

I have a feeling Nani is going to become one of those next season.

Unread 12-04-2010, 01:06 AM
schnitzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by History
Everyone in the squad at the moment except O'shea deserves to have a place in the squad. All of them are good players. All we need really is a few players who have that cutting edge to go with Rooney.

I have a feeling Nani is going to become one of those next season.
I agree to a point.

Evra needed a break and O shea (who is not fully fit he has just come back from a long injury) was and has been the only cover for him recently.

Yes he didnt play well going forward but we did not concede a goal and it was obvious he would be subbed cos he is nowhere near match fitness however he allowed a little break for Evra the first for a long time.

Unread 12-04-2010, 01:52 AM
Stickman

Foster
Neville
Carrick
Gibson
Berbatov

Unread 12-04-2010, 05:29 AM
borsuk

o'shea is an easy target but any club in the league would jump at the chance to have him in their squad.

if he'd been fit, he'd have been our first choice right back this year, nqat.

Unread 12-04-2010, 05:33 AM
Stickman

Quote:
o'shea is an easy target but any club in the league would jump at the chance to have him in their squad.

if he'd been fit, he'd have been our first choice right back this year, nqat.
agreed - hes useful. Often good a sticking to the winger and not giving much away.

Also a good option to play when we go to the likes of Bolton, Blackburn, Stoke etc who just hurl high balls into the box every time they get half a chance.

Unread 12-04-2010, 08:22 AM
Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appletango
Agreed Arteta is twice the player Modric is - Would be a great signing, only have to look at Everton with and without him.
Arteta's just coming back from a bad injury, doesnt seem to be the same player althuogh still capable of some sublime movement and touch. Reckon Modric is better though, or at least has the potential to be for us.

Unread 12-04-2010, 09:14 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
I've just selected the ones I don't think have a future.

Giggs and Scholes can still do another year, albeit more limited.

Delaet, gibson, owen, berbatov, neville, foster.

Anderson needs to pull his finger out of his arse next season, as he is borderline right now.
I just dipped into this thread, selected the players I'd move on and didn't read it yesterday, you have almost exactly the same selection as me. The only difference is I wouldn't give Scholes a new deal. I'd love him to play on forever, but at some point you have to move on and as long as he is at the club he casts a huge shadow for all other midfielders. Plus, he must be pulling £80k+ a week. We could conceivably get 2 players in for that. The midfield requires a greater level of stability and consistency imo and playing Scholes here and there might detract from that.

Oh, and I have given up on Hargreaves. The Jesper Blomqvist of the 2008 CL winning squad.

Unread 12-04-2010, 09:17 AM
Surfers do Charlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
Foster
Neville
Carrick
Gibson
Berbatov
Agree apart from Gibson.

I'm not convinced he'll make it at the top level, but I don't think he's been given enough chance to develop yet.

Unread 12-04-2010, 09:27 AM
Appletango

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off
Arteta's just coming back from a bad injury, doesnt seem to be the same player althuogh still capable of some sublime movement and touch. Reckon Modric is better though, or at least has the potential to be for us.
Everton were having a shit season, he came back and they started scoring and winning. He's out again and they haven't won since.

Everton have some decent midfielders, Arteta, Cahill, Rodwell, Pioneer, Fellaini or Heitenga - I'd be happy signing any of them tbh.

Unread 12-04-2010, 09:29 AM
Mr_Ed

Scholes, Giggs and Neville should be replaced... they are too old.

Unread 12-04-2010, 09:32 AM
Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appletango
Everton were having a shit season, he came back and they started scoring and winning. He's out again and they haven't won since.

Everton have some decent midfielders, Arteta, Cahill, Rodwell, Pioneer, Fellaini or Heitenga - I'd be happy signing any of them tbh.
I'd take him too, very ahead of his time.

Unread 12-04-2010, 09:33 AM
Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
Such insight Ed

Unread 12-04-2010, 09:51 AM
Redordead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
Agree totally.

But it does not mean they have to go, 1 more season on reduced wages ( like Giggs ). as cover and for the squad.
Closed Thread