United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 07-04-2010, 12:37 PM
Appletango

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop
No chance.

I hate the condescending fawning over Barcelona but they are probably the best team of the last 20 years.
Messi is up there with the very best. Four goals in a European Cup quater final ffs.

They're class all over the field. Dani Alves just never stops, he seems to be everywhere. Pique has come on leaps and bounds since leaving United, never really been a big Puyol fan myself, but he is regarded as one of the best defenders about. Abidal is massively underated by most and kept Evra out of the France team for years(has since moved to centre half to acccomodate Evra). Pedro, despite being quite average yesterday has been one of their best players this season. Busquests, Keita, Toure or whoever plays with Xavi and Iniesta does the job that's needed in there. Ibra, might have his critics but he is some player on his day.

For me, they don't have any weak spots in their team, people go on about if you get at their defence you will score but teams rarely score against them, albeit not having the ball much is a major factor in this.

I hope they tear Real a new one on Saturday.

Unread 07-04-2010, 12:40 PM
Baron

Quote:
Xavi misplaced just 15 of his 244 passes over the two legs against Arsenal with an accuracy of 93.9%.
Bit good.

Unread 07-04-2010, 12:42 PM
dunk

Pedro really isn't very good. He is just ridiculously fortunate to play with some of the finest chance creators in football atm.

Giovani dos Santos scored goals at Barca ffs, and they were shit then.

Unread 07-04-2010, 12:47 PM
Appletango

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Pedro really isn't very good. He is just ridiculously fortunate to play with some of the finest chance creators in football atm.

Giovani dos Santos scored goals at Barca ffs, and they were shit then.
Serious question. Do you watch them much? Pedro is quality!

If you count 2 goals in about 30 games as scoring goals then Dos Santos did score goals, doesn't really compete with nearly 20 that Pedro has bagged this season and the only person to ever score in 6 different competitions in one season.

Unread 07-04-2010, 12:48 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appletango
Serious question. Do you watch them much? Pedro is quality!

If you count 2 goals in about 30 games as scoring goals then Dos Santos did score goals, doesn't really compete with nearly 20 that Pedro has bagged this season and the only person to ever score in 6 different competitions in one season.
dos Santos got a Hat-trick on his final appearance for them, so you're wrong there

Yeah, I watch them a lot, rather more than I should tbh, and Pedro is just small and quick, benefiting from the brilliance around him, quality, he ain't.

Unread 07-04-2010, 12:49 PM
Albert Tatlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appletango
Come one, Barca and Messi(and Xavi) are simply immense.

They could of scored 10 in the first leg and last night, if it wasn't for the fact it is el classico this weekend, they would of carried on and probably hit 6 or 7.

I hate to say it but I just can't see us beating them should we end up meeting in the final again.
If we were fortunate enough to get to the final against them, then we would beat them.

I have a funny feeling though that Inter will be in the final instead.

Unread 07-04-2010, 12:51 PM
MJ Ramone

Messi is so good it's ridiculous, but Xavi was equally good last night.
Brilliant player.

Unread 07-04-2010, 12:53 PM
Gypsum Fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone
no, no he wasn't. as for the op - 'a fine player but' ? he's 22 ffs.

Unread 07-04-2010, 12:54 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Brilliant player.
He's an unbelievable player, never stops moving, always finding space to recieve the ball, almost never gives it away, keeps that team ticking creating space for everyone else to play in. Amazing player.

Unread 07-04-2010, 12:55 PM
Appletango

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
dos Santos got a Hat-trick on his final appearance for them, so you're wrong there

Yeah, I watch them a lot, rather more than I should tbh, and Pedro is just small and quick, benefiting from the brilliance around him, quality, he ain't.
Just searched it and assuming wiki is correct he scored 3 goals in 28 games, i'm sure I remember him scoring a goal in another game, who was the hatrick against?

Dunno, I think he will go on to be a real world class talent, guess only time will tell.

Unread 07-04-2010, 12:55 PM
MJ Ramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsum Fantastic
no, no he wasn't. as for the op - 'a fine player but' ? he's 22 ffs.
I've been saying Messi is the best player in the World since I first saw him when he was 16 or something.
I just though 'in his own way' Xavi had an equally impressive game.

Unread 07-04-2010, 01:33 PM
redmike

Without doubt the most exciting footballer i have seen since Maradona, even eclipses fat Ronaldo in his pomp.

He is still only 22, and already he is justified imo being compared with the likes of Maradona, Pele, Cruyff, Zidane, Best and De stefano, is he better than all of these greats not yet perhaps but he's not far off.

Unread 07-04-2010, 01:36 PM
silv

Quote:
I just though 'in his own way' Xavi had an equally impressive game.
The invisible man and its not an insult

Unread 07-04-2010, 02:15 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Tatlock
If we were fortunate enough to get to the final against them, then we would beat them.

I have a funny feeling though that Inter will be in the final instead.
I really do admire the "hope in the face of all logic" attitude of some people on here.

Maybe 2 years ago, we'd have given them a £#%&!ing good go. They'd beat this united side without breaking sweat.

Unread 07-04-2010, 02:18 PM
Mr_Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron_van_Marlon

Xavi misplaced just 15 of his 244 passes over the two legs against Arsenal with an accuracy of 93.9%.

Bit good.
Wheareas Carrick would place just 15 of his 244 passes....

Unread 07-04-2010, 02:20 PM
Sullingtons

Could he do it on a rainy mid-week tie in Burnley though?

Unread 07-04-2010, 02:20 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
Wheareas Carrick would place just 15 of his 244 passes....

Unread 07-04-2010, 02:26 PM
Tumescent Throb

Barcelona are obviously a very good team.

But they are only joint top in Spain, with a team who haven't gone beyond the CL 2nd rd for about 5 years.

And the team they beat last night haven't won anything at all for 5 years and are currently 3rd in the english league, which this season has been very very erratic at best.

In the next round Barcelona will face a side that's in its first CL s/f for 7 years, despite winning serie a for the past 4 straight seasons and topping it again this time round

And should they win then in the final they are pretty likely to face a team that has not won its own domestic league this season.

Unread 07-04-2010, 02:29 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
Barcelona are obviously a very good team.
But they are only joint top in Spain, with a team who haven't gone beyond the CL 2nd rd for about 5 years.

And the team they beat last night haven't won anything at all for 5 years and are currently 3rd in the english league, which this season has been very very erratic at best.

In the next round Barcelona will face a side that's in its first CL s/f for 7 years, despite winning serie a for the past 4 straight seasons and topping it again this time round

And should they win then in the final they are pretty likely to face a team that has not won its own domestic league this season.
'He said through gritted teeth..'

Unread 07-04-2010, 02:34 PM
Tumescent Throb

Not at all.

The idea that they could beat United "without breaking sweat" is pretty funny btw.

Messi is sensational of course, and Xavi is the man. But Arsenal scored 3 against them and could have had more. That alone shows that they have some pretty fundamental weaknesses.
Closed Thread