United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 23-04-2013, 12:30 AM
Mr Castro

We'd won it by the Newcastle game. We drew at Leicester on the Saturday, then 3-3 at home to Boro on the bank holiday Monday. Then Newcastle drew away at West Ham 0-0 (along with Liverpool losing to Wimbledon) and that wrapped the title up. We drew 0-0 at home to Newcastle on the Thursday before beating West Ham 2-0.

IIRC we wanted to get the season extended by a couple of weeks.

Unread 23-04-2013, 12:34 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Castro
We'd won it by the Newcastle game. We drew at Leicester on the Saturday, then 3-3 at home to Boro on the bank holiday Monday. Then Newcastle drew away at West Ham 0-0 (along with Liverpool losing to Wimbledon) and that wrapped the title up. We drew 0-0 at home to Newcastle on the Thursday before beating West Ham 2-0.

IIRC we wanted to get the season extended by a couple of weeks.
your memory is correct, sir. the same night a certain little welsh @#%&! scored his first ever goal for liverpool aged 17.

Unread 23-04-2013, 12:36 AM
Mr Castro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
your memory is correct, sir. the same night a certain little welsh @#%&! scored his first ever goal for liverpool aged 17.
I remember that, moreso because me and my mum were watching the Newcastle game on sky, and it popped up that Liverpool had pulled one back. My mum asked who'd scored and I said "errrm... Owen, whoever he is"

Always stayed with me that one

Unread 23-04-2013, 12:37 AM
Barcabal

92/93 > over all

The pain of the previous year and being labeled a cup team for 20 years was hurt enough as it is.
My first game in 85 watching us do well and get some great results meant nothing in the end. We were not good enough to win the league. My dad was seething constantly.

But to finally do it and after the previous oh so close victory was unforgettable and will always be the best in my eyes.

Unread 23-04-2013, 04:58 AM
ryanMUFC

It's always more exciting when there's a champions league final to follow but
This ones nice with it being the 20th and won it old trafford for the first time in a while. That day at the stadium of light last season was the darkest day being a red in most of our lifetimes so to win it back the next season means something.

Unread 23-04-2013, 05:50 AM
Stickman

winning it back > defending it (though you can never complain ffs)

2 stars above the badge next season please.

Unread 23-04-2013, 06:26 AM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanMUFC
It's always more exciting when there's a champions league final to follow but
This ones nice with it being the 20th and won it old trafford for the first time in a while. That day at the stadium of light last season was the darkest day being a red in most of our lifetimes so to win it back the next season means something.
dear god.

the most recent is always the best. Buzzing today and the shit@#%&!ery is a distant memory.

Unread 23-04-2013, 09:10 AM
dunk

Apparently, this season...

Equaled the earliest we've won it..

Highest win percentage at this stage of 79%..

Only one season has a better goals per game ratio than this seasons 2.29 (2000)..

19 Different scorers, a new record..

Not sure if that reflects well on United or badly on the rest though tbh.

Unread 23-04-2013, 09:57 AM
andyroo

Quote:
I remember that, moreso because me and my mum were watching the Newcastle game on sky, and it popped up that Liverpool had pulled one back. My mum asked who'd scored and I said "errrm... Owen, whoever he is"

Always stayed with me that one
just imagine how them @#%&!s would've felt about

Unread 23-04-2013, 09:59 AM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
dear god.

the most recent is always the best. Buzzing today and the shit@#%&!ery is a distant memory.
The best one's the next one

Giddy as £#%&! today though. As you say, the ghost of shit@#%&!ery laid to rest.

Unread 23-04-2013, 10:44 AM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman

2 stars above the badge next season please.
No.

Just no.

Unread 23-04-2013, 10:50 AM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
No.

Just no.
three stars above my @#%&!?

Unread 23-04-2013, 11:58 AM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
three stars above my @#%&!?
Yes please.

Unread 23-04-2013, 03:24 PM
red in cumbria

The game before that we had been held 0-0 at home to Villa, and even I thought it was over

Unread 23-04-2013, 03:38 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
The game before that we had been held 0-0 at home to Villa, and even I thought it was over
Keegan knew what was what with that Newcastle team, hence why he signed Batty and Asprilla. There was no way they were going to hold United off.

Unread 23-04-2013, 03:46 PM
Mr Castro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
another key game was at West Ham in Jan, when Giggs produced that bit of world class magic, then linked up with Cole and Eric scored from there - how the £#%&! did he score from there with a one-touch sidefoot

remember we just looked like a proper team. also remember dicks nearly snapping cole's leg and £#%&! all was done about it

It was the run we had in the second half of the season really, especially that run of 1-0's culminating in the win at Newcastle. They were gone, and they knew it.

Unread 23-04-2013, 03:51 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
West Ham United 0-1 Manchester United 1995/96 - YouTube

It was the run we had in the second half of the season really, especially that run of 1-0's culminating in the win at Newcastle. They were gone, and they knew it.
can't see Giggs' spinning flick round the corner to set that up on that vid, but what a finish

Unread 23-04-2013, 04:00 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
Keegan knew what was what with that Newcastle team, hence why he signed Batty and Asprilla. There was no way they were going to hold United off.
And then Dogleash fecked Ginola off for Temuri Ketsbaia

Unread 23-04-2013, 04:41 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
And then Dogleash fecked Ginola off for Temuri Ketsbaia
Some of his signings there were genuinely hilarious.

The pensioners from his playing days at the Vermin, Des Hamilton (who??) that Swede who only ever scored against us at OT - and last but by no means least, Guivarch

Unread 23-04-2013, 04:48 PM
Mr Castro

The funniest moment was when he sold Les Ferdinand to Spurs. Hours later Shearer got that serious injury and missed 6 months, In response he bought Rush and Barnes
Closed Thread