United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 22-04-2013, 11:18 AM
Tumescent Throb

Default Which of Fergie's 13 league titles does 2012/13 compare unfavourably with - and why ;-}

People seem determined to pronounce the 2013 Champions as shit, and would have it that United just isn't United this season - not like it used to be...

So where does it rank and why are previous seasons better? Don't just point to 2008, 1999, 94 and 93 either, they were all obviously better... What about the other 8? Where does this one rank?

I anticipate this thread will be a runner, so thanks in advance

Unread 22-04-2013, 11:19 AM
dunk

Thumbs up

They are all equally sweet Throb. Thanks.

Unread 22-04-2013, 11:21 AM
The Return of JC

Jesus no.

Unread 22-04-2013, 11:24 AM
Aman27deep

You don't have to be the best, you just have to be the least shit.

History books will show United won the league with a double digit lead.

I'm happy with that.

Unread 22-04-2013, 11:24 AM
Harri Jaffa

2000 was a bit of a yawn-fest - Didn't we go out of the CL in the quarters to Real Madrid too

Unread 22-04-2013, 11:29 AM
Mr_Ed

2001 compares... After Christmas we went off the boil and culminated losing 1-0 at home to Derby (Who the £#%&! was Malcolm Christie?) a right damp squib it was.

Unread 22-04-2013, 11:30 AM
believe

they've all been superb.

Unread 22-04-2013, 11:31 AM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harri Jaffa
I didn't give a reason why it was a yawn fest tbf

Unread 22-04-2013, 11:36 AM
nou_camp_26_5_99

Quote:
I didn't give a reason why it was a yawn fest tbf
Easy tiger. I was merely pointing out it doesn't compare to now..

Unread 22-04-2013, 11:38 AM
Harri Jaffa

Quote:
Originally Posted by nou_camp_26_5_99
Easy tiger. I was merely pointing out it doesn't compare to now..
Other than being a yawn-fest...

Unread 22-04-2013, 11:41 AM
nou_camp_26_5_99

Quote:
Other than being a yawn-fest...
1999-2000 we were as boring as now?

Unread 22-04-2013, 11:51 AM
The Return of JC

I don't buy in to this idea that we're boring. We have issues with the side and we are often predictable, but that doesn't make us boring. I think the frustration stems from the same issues: midfield, mis-use of players, fitness levels etc and the seeming lack of any desire to change it. It hurts the side, but it often makes the games more interesting. Getting pegged back at city, at chelsea, slow starts at villa, at home to Newcastle. Frustrating, but it made for great games!

Look at the reaction to the west ham game the other night.....but the game wasn't boring. Not at all.

Unread 22-04-2013, 12:35 PM
Lazlo Panaflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of JC
I don't buy in to this idea that we're boring. We have issues with the side and we are often predictable, but that doesn't make us boring. I think the frustration stems from the same issues: midfield, mis-use of players, fitness levels etc and the seeming lack of any desire to change it. It hurts the side, but it often makes the games more interesting. Getting pegged back at city, at chelsea, slow starts at villa, at home to Newcastle. Frustrating, but it made for great games!

Look at the reaction to the west ham game the other night.....but the game wasn't boring. Not at all.
I don't think people are bored of the drama. It hasn't been boring this season as 2011 for instance. 2001 from what I recall was boring for drama but generally that year is a complete haze for me personally.

this year, imo, united have been set up as a response to last year. That is, SAF has turned last years shit@#%&!s from also ran bottlers into league winners. And he's done it by not even trying to control games, from sitting back and soaking up and then fish slapping opposition on the break. We've been 'outplayed' in terms of controlling possession and the pace of a game by bottom half sides at home.

But We're playing to our strengths.That's what made us look like we could have beaten madrid, while if the same fixture was played a year earlier we would have been tonked.

However, resigning possession and all the wingers losing their form in varying degrees has made us look unco-ordinated and unimaginative. It appears to be heavily relied on the forward 2 and carrick who has played deeper to protect the centre halves.

I'm sure that would get a 'clueless' or go support gaylick remark but that's how this sage sees it. It's effective football, until our one true outlet ran out of steam. But they're the least-pleasent-to-watch-champions imo.

nrat.

Unread 22-04-2013, 01:24 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazlo Panaflex
I don't think people are bored of the drama. It hasn't been boring this season as 2011 for instance. 2001 from what I recall was boring for drama but generally that year is a complete haze for me personally.

this year, imo, united have been set up as a response to last year. That is, SAF has turned last years shit@#%&!s from also ran bottlers into league winners. And he's done it by not even trying to control games, from sitting back and soaking up and then fish slapping opposition on the break. We've been 'outplayed' in terms of controlling possession and the pace of a game by bottom half sides at home.

But We're playing to our strengths.That's what made us look like we could have beaten madrid, while if the same fixture was played a year earlier we would have been tonked.

However, resigning possession and all the wingers losing their form in varying degrees has made us look unco-ordinated and unimaginative. It appears to be heavily relied on the forward 2 and carrick who has played deeper to protect the centre halves.

I'm sure that would get a 'clueless' or go support gaylick remark but that's how this sage sees it. It's effective football, until our one true outlet ran out of steam. But they're the least-pleasent-to-watch-champions imo.

nrat.
I wouldn't call you that. I agree with the observations about the teams set up and its certainly not what we're used to. I think its a little overstated and the team is capable of playing some good stuff, albeit often sacrificed for functionality.

As for more boring champions - 2009 and 2011 were. Especially 2011. It was
More or less this side without van Persie, Kagawa, de Gea, Jones and welbeck....but Gibson, oark and oshea added.

Unread 22-04-2013, 02:25 PM
Tumescent Throb

I recall United fans slating the 2003 team and especially the 1996/97 side. Are this team worse than that? From what I recall, people spent most of the season dissing Cantona only to discover at the end that they'd never see him play again for United.

As Benitez pointed out to the Chelsea fans earlier in the season, write your banners, slag me off all you want, but in the end it's you who's missing out, it's you who's wasting time... #BennytheSage

Unread 22-04-2013, 02:26 PM
sullerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
I recall United fans slating the 2003 team and especially the 1996/97 side. Are this team worse than that? From what I recall, people spent most of the season dissing Cantona only to discover at the end that they'd never see him play again for United.

As Benitez pointed out to the Chelsea fans earlier in the season, write your banners, slag me off all you want, but in the end it's you who's missing out, it's you who's wasting time... #BennytheSage
You seem to remember a £#%&!ing lot for someone who ignores the mainstream media.

Unread 22-04-2013, 04:09 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
2000 was a bit of a yawn-fest - Didn't we go out of the CL in the quarters to Real Madrid too
Record (for us) points, winning margin and GD though

Could history repeat itself??

Unread 23-04-2013, 12:11 AM
Mr Castro

2000 was a leisurely stroll, because we had no challengers really. That after drawing away at Everton on day 1. 2001 was pretty much the same, and we even found time to lose our last three games. I wouldn't call either boring per se, but it wasn't very exciting.

The 1996/7 season wasn't great. We won the league, but we shit@#%&!ed through the last month after beating Liverpool. I think we played 4 games in 8 days at one point, drew three of them and still won the league.

I've generally found Title wins where we're regained the title to be more exciting than ones where we're defending the Title.

Unread 23-04-2013, 12:26 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Castro
2000 was a leisurely stroll, because we had no challengers really. That after drawing away at Everton on day 1. 2001 was pretty much the same, and we even found time to lose our last three games. I wouldn't call either boring per se, but it wasn't very exciting.

The 1996/7 season wasn't great. We won the league, but we shit@#%&!ed through the last month after beating Liverpool. I think we played 4 games in 8 days at one point, drew three of them and still won the league.

I've generally found Title wins where we're regained the title to be more exciting than ones where we're defending the Title.
nah, 2007/2008 is only 2nd to the treble season for me.

Unread 23-04-2013, 12:27 AM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Castro
The 1996/7 season wasn't great. We won the league, but we shit@#%&!ed through the last month after beating Liverpool. I think we played 4 games in 8 days at one point, drew three of them and still won the league
We only needed to draw the last one (v Newcastle?) to win the league, as it happened......

Won it that season with 75 points - still a record low for the PL champions. Finished seven points ahead of our nearest rivals, though!
Closed Thread