United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 25-05-2013, 10:14 PM
Neo

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafabio
One of the reasons people were giving for moyes appointment was that he won't hire a completely new backroom staff unlike mourinho.

anyways,

The MUFC Academy ‏@mrmujac 2h
Put your money on Chris Woods joining #mufc as goalkeeping coach...heard from three different sources now!
Cheers pol, just logging on to the goalkeeping coach section of Ladbrokes now.

Unread 26-05-2013, 01:11 AM
silv

I agreed

A big old change about the place won't do anyone any harm at all!

Unread 26-05-2013, 01:42 AM
Der Kaiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by silv
I agreed

A big old change about the place won't do anyone any harm at all!
Replacing a coaching set up that has challenged for and won both league and European titles, with another set of coaches that have struggled to get their team anywhere near the top four or the champions league, could potentially do United a lot of harm.

You would think Moyes would maybe give those coaches a season to see what they're capable of before deciding the ones he has now are better, I don't buy this %@#$&!s about him bringing in people he's comfortable with either, he's been comfortably not challenging for a £#%&!ing trophy for a decade. I'm comfortable in the company of me mam, doesn't mean I'd ask her to teach Barcelona how to improve their pressing.

Unread 26-05-2013, 02:01 AM
silv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Kaiser
Replacing a coaching set up that has challenged for and won both league and European titles, with another set of coaches that have struggled to get their team anywhere near the top four or the champions league, could potentially do United a lot of harm.

You would think Moyes would maybe give those coaches a season to see what they're capable of before deciding the ones he has now are better, I don't buy this %@#$&!s about him bringing in people he's comfortable with either, he's been comfortably not challenging for a £#%&!ing trophy for a decade. I'm comfortable in the company of me mam, doesn't mean I'd ask her to teach Barcelona how to improve their pressing.
So far, 2 coaches have been replaced. First off is Mike Phelan. Froggies right hand man. I don't think its possible for a new manager to have the old chaps number 2 there.

Secondly, Steele. Who we appreciate for the work he has done with De Gea. However, let's not get revisionist and rewrite the past. We know nothing of the new gk coach nor we do not know who the number 2 will be yet.

Yes we won the league at a canter and as undisputed champs. However, who can disagree that a breath of fresh air about the place would be a bad thing? Fergie is undoubtedly the best ever, but who hasn't been frustrated by some of the decisions over the last few yeArs? No new midfielders, jamming square pegs into round holes. Surely a new hard working regime under Moyes will give everyone a boost. I can't be the only one who thinks that a new manager (supported by his team of choosing) will breath new life into the squad.

There will be a big part of the old team there. Schols, giggs and hopefully Neville coaching. Ferdinand around, the winning mentality is still about.

He might get anderson into shape too! This talk of Moyes punishing Fellani and his huge fitness runs excites! If this squad needs anything it's Moyes. Fergies rotation and squad management is second to none. Add to that a fresh impetus of no nonsense, hard work and I think we are laughing.

Unread 26-05-2013, 02:04 AM
Blagger

Eric Steele

Fabulous2C Big Whalers drop in to launch a truthbomb, by the way.

Unread 26-05-2013, 02:12 AM
Der Kaiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by silv
So far, 2 coaches have been replaced. First off is Mike Phelan. Froggies right hand man. I don't think its possible for a new manager to have the old chaps number 2 there.

Secondly, Steele. Who we appreciate for the work he has done with De Gea. However, let's not get revisionist and rewrite the past. We know nothing of the new gk coach nor we do not know who the number 2 will be yet.

Yes we won the league at a canter and as undisputed champs. However, who can disagree that a breath of fresh air about the place would be a bad thing? Fergie is undoubtedly the best ever, but who hasn't been frustrated by some of the decisions over the last few yeArs? No new midfielders, jamming square pegs into round holes. Surely a new hard working regime under Moyes will give everyone a boost. I can't be the only one who thinks that a new manager (supported by his team of choosing) will breath new life into the squad.

There will be a big part of the old team there. Schols, giggs and hopefully Neville coaching. Ferdinand around, the winning mentality is still about.

He might get anderson into shape too! This talk of Moyes punishing Fellani and his huge fitness runs excites! If this squad needs anything it's Moyes. Fergies rotation and squad management is second to none. Add to that a fresh impetus of no nonsense, hard work and I think we are laughing.
I'm not saying he should keep all the coaching staff, you can understand him wanting to bring in his own number 2, but I don't think it's fair to judge people he hasn't even worked with, how the £#%&! does he know what the coaching staff have to offer? and I don't think the coaches were that happy with every Fergie decision, from what I can remember one of the lads on RI who knew a few of the coaches had been told by one of them that the only person at United who wanted to keep Anderson was Fergie, the rest of the coaches thought he should have been £#%&!ed off a while ago.

The truth is we don't know what work they do, imo Moyes should have taken this season to ease himself into the job, and that means keeping the majority of the staff in place, give them a season to show what they can do and then make your decisions about them, if he then thinks the coaches he's worked with at Everton are better, by all means change them.

Unread 26-05-2013, 02:33 AM
Terry Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffers
Does anyone genuinely give a £#%&! about phelan meulensteen and steele(lindegaard ffs)?

We were mocking the shit out of them just a year ago. if anyone thinks mou didnt get the job at united due to him bringing too many coaching staff then you're braindead.

But now the trend is to seriously big up these clowns who never dared to say shit to fergie, its time for fresh ideas and a new chapter for some of the undermined players in the squad(nani and ando in particular).

People will moan about ANYTHING.
Phelan probably struggled to shift the reputation he gained as a distinctly average player. Whenever we conceded and the camera panned to the bench he always seemed to have a distinctly clueless air about him too (maybe that was misleading?).

But whenever players have praised the work of the coaching staff, it's always been Rene. RVP has been raving about him.

Steele? Not sure how much the improvement of DDG can be credited to him, but he must be due to take some of it. The incident I found strangest about Steele was once when we played Spurs away (0-0, Jan 2011) I was sat in the home end right by the bench. Before Chicharito came on as sub, Steele gave him a lengthy tactical brief. I know Steele learned Spanish for DDG, but Chicha seems to have perfect English so I found it a bit odd that our GK coach, as opposed to MP or RM, was briefing our striker.

Anyway, Fergie apparently said he couldn't quit in 2005 when the Glazers took over because he felt responsible for his backroom "team". In which case it'd be odd if he had a role in appointing Moyes without at least subtley getting assurances that his men/tea-ladies would have jobs for life should they so wish.

Unread 26-05-2013, 02:39 AM
Blagger

Thumbs up

Phelan's a sap.

Unread 26-05-2013, 02:46 AM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Kaiser
I'm not saying he should keep all the coaching staff, you can understand him wanting to bring in his own number 2, but I don't think it's fair to judge people he hasn't even worked with, how the £#%&! does he know what the coaching staff have to offer?
He's not judging them, and I'm sure he knows they're top quality coaches. That's not the point. New man, new staff. That's how it works. New man can't risk being undermined by coaches with established relationships with players. Our outgoing coaches will have known this. It's a business. It doesn't have to be fair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Silver

Before Chicharito came on as sub, Steele gave him a lengthy tactical brief. I know Steele learned Spanish for DDG, but Chicha seems to have perfect English so I found it a bit odd that our GK coach, as opposed to MP or RM, was briefing our striker.
He did/does that for every sub - usually briefing them on their defensive responsibilities at set pieces.

Unread 26-05-2013, 02:53 AM
Terry Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
He's not judging them, and I'm sure he knows they're top quality coaches. That's not the point. New man, new staff. That's how it works. New man can't risk being undermined by coaches with established relationships with players. Our outgoing coaches will have known this. It's a business. It doesn't have to be fair.

He did/does that for every sub - usually briefing them on their defensive responsibilities at set pieces.
Aren't Chicha's defensive responsibilities at set pieces "wait on half-way for the counter attack"?

Unread 26-05-2013, 02:53 AM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
when did people start to care about goalkeeping coaches?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Duckworth
may 2013
this.

Unread 26-05-2013, 02:58 AM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Silver
Aren't Chicha's defensive responsibilities at set pieces "wait on half-way for the counter attack"?
Pretty much.

One of the things I'm hoping changes is Cheech hassling keepers at corners. All that happens is he fouls the keeper every four or five corners & the keepers just shoves him out of the way on the others. Not worth it.

Unread 26-05-2013, 03:04 AM
Terry Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
Pretty much.

One of the things I'm hoping changes is Cheech hassling keepers at corners. All that happens is he fouls the keeper every four or five corners & the keepers just shoves him out of the way on the others. Not worth it.
Every now and again it pays off.

Chicha away at Stoke, that back header.

My favourite example was Tevez at Blackburn when Freidel pushed him away, and placed him perfectly to glance in a header for 1-1. Massive goal by, as it turned out, a massive @#%&!.

I think one player on the GK can work out well.

Reading and West Ham trying to build a wall around DDG was £#%&!ing embarrassing though and should automatically be given as obstruction. Obviously this won't happen where DDG is involved, the poor £#%&!er. It's made a man of him though. Watched footage of the 8-2 vs Arsenal the other day, and he was a puny £#%&!er back then.

Unread 26-05-2013, 06:43 AM
believe

Any developments on this? Terrifying to think it could be Woods saying "save this" to De Gea, next season instead of Steele.

Unread 26-05-2013, 06:51 AM
Der Kaiser

Quote:
Any developments on this? Terrifying to think it could be Woods saying "save this" to De Gea, next season instead of Steele.
After years of people claiming our coaches were shit and were responsible for shite performances, it's now emerged that it doesn't matter who the coaches are as long as the manager is comfortable with them. I'm relieved tbh I had no idea coaching didn't matter.

Unread 27-05-2013, 09:09 AM
rafabio

Unread 27-05-2013, 09:33 AM
Mao's Favourite Starling

Muelensteen sounds like he is on his way an all, story in AD that Moyes will be taking training himself

Unread 27-05-2013, 09:34 AM
Mao's Favourite Starling

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafabio

Never gets old

Fergies reaction, id love to know what he said

Unread 27-05-2013, 09:34 AM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mao's Favourite Starling
Muelensteen sounds like he is on his way an all, story in AD that Moyes will be taking training himself
Dubai?

Unread 27-05-2013, 09:37 AM
Mao's Favourite Starling

Quote:
Dubai?

I'm passing on that open goal

http://m.ad.nl/
Closed Thread