Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 09-02-2009, 02:15 PM
Smeggs

Default Henry Winter/Telegraph Match Report

nice piece i thought

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...-West-Ham.html

particularly:

“Giggs... Giggs will tear you apart again,’’ came the familiar chant from United fans relishing the Premier League being turned into another joy division for them.

Unread 09-02-2009, 02:22 PM
believe

sulk's a 4 letter word to me as well.

Unread 09-02-2009, 02:30 PM
Bunker Buster

Giggs still likes a sulk if things arent going his way.....classic giggs, hands on hips scowling like a naughty child that's been caught putting soil in the dishwasher.

Also who the £#%&! did the player ratings.....?

didn't know hammers fans read and rated on the on-line website....Thought they were more a sun and BNP pamphlet

Unread 09-02-2009, 02:31 PM
The Watcher

Andy Gray was gushing in his praise for Scholes and, in particular, Giggs. Don't usually have much time for the fat @#%&!, but he spot on about them both.

I was really made up for Giggs when he scored. Beautiful goal too - drop of the shoulder then a lovely placed shot. Fantastic. All Reds should treasure every minute these two have left with us instead of moaning every time they don't win us a game single handily.

Unread 09-02-2009, 02:36 PM
Albert Tatlock

I tried to get Giggs' goal on youtube.

Every video is a link to some other @#%&!'s site....

Unread 09-02-2009, 02:37 PM
dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
Beautiful goal too - drop of the shoulder then a lovely placed shot. Fantastic. .
"Isn't it? You know, a little bit of magic, a bit of hocus pocus, abracadabra...I wanna reach out and grab ya"

Unread 09-02-2009, 02:38 PM
Smeggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Giggs still likes a sulk if things arent going his way.....classic giggs, hands on hips scowling like a naughty child that's been caught putting soil in the dishwasher.

Also who the £#%&! did the player ratings.....?

didn't know hammers fans read and rated on the on-line website....Thought they were more a sun and BNP pamphlet
i take all ratings with a pinch of salt, i still look at em like but i'm sure journos sometimes watch diff games to us, berbatov got a 5 in the times today (i've just been reading over my lunchbreak)..just in case you thought i went out and bought all the papers...

giggsy does like a sulk but he doesn't sit on the floor with his hands in the air while the game continues around him...

Unread 09-02-2009, 02:39 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jizza Jazza
I tried to get Giggs' goal on youtube.

Every video is a link to some other @#%&!'s site....
Extended highlights 12 minutes.

http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/2068371/

Goal timed at 6.50 ish.

Unread 09-02-2009, 02:39 PM
Street Magician

scowling like a naughty child that's been caught putting soil in the dishwasher.

Only a naughty child whose done that could juxtapose those scowls! Is there something you want to tell us bunks?

Unread 09-02-2009, 02:40 PM
Albert Tatlock

but I did find this....

The Italian commentator gets a tad excited ...

Unread 09-02-2009, 02:42 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Magician
scowling like a naughty child that's been caught putting soil in the dishwasher.

Only a naughty child whose done that could juxtapose those scowls! Is there something you want to tell us bunks?

We didn't have a dishwasher when i was kid.

First thing that came into my head mate.

Unread 09-02-2009, 02:43 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jizza Jazza
but I did find this....

YouTube - Full Highlights: West Ham 0-1 Manchester United @ LiveScore99.com

The Italian commentator gets a tad excited ...
i wasn't expecting ricky martin then. i nearly shit myself!!

Unread 09-02-2009, 02:45 PM
Albert Tatlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
i wasn't expecting ricky martin then. i nearly shit myself!!

Yeah... dunno why that was tagged on the end

Unread 09-02-2009, 02:50 PM
Stickman

And here was me getting irrate that I thought hed let Carlotn Cole get back and block his cross

I blame the tension of that match.

Unread 09-02-2009, 02:53 PM
Street Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster

We didn't have a dishwasher when i was kid.

First thing that came into my head mate.
£#%&!ing funny either way... forgive me for painting a hilarious picture in my head when I read it!

I really want to go home and put soil in the dishwasher now!

Unread 09-02-2009, 02:58 PM
Tumescent Throb

Scholes' pass was hardly a "killer ball" ffs. It was a routine pass to a player who'd just taken the corner and been left wide open by the opposition defence. Anyone surprised either that Scholes saw the pass or that he executed it so effortlessly would probably be the type of @#%&! who'd include mention of mocking "handball" chants from the crowd at a football match as if it was still funny after about 5 £#%&!ing years.

oh and Giggs was shown inside by two of the worst bits of schoolboy defending you'll see - not surprising that a player of his world class ability strolled into the box and swept the ball into the net

Money for old rope this football reporting shite

Unread 09-02-2009, 03:17 PM
Grimson

I disagree about Scholes' pass. Absolutely lovely strike of a bouncing ball that looked routine only because he was the one who hit it. Did you see anything like that from West Ham? Or even from Carrick?

Unread 09-02-2009, 03:42 PM
IsaacHunt

I saw something about this a while ago. The player rating is usually done by a junior reporter and sent with the journo's first match report, done after 70 or so mins.

The point scoring thing is totally useless as a consequence. It is usually based on a 6 to start, then all players the losing team drop will usually a point or two, then winning team add one or two. An outdstanding player might get a 9, the worst very rarely lower than a 3.

The BBC have a player-rater for just about every game, and the range of scoring there doesn't often go outside of 4.5-7.5, with potentially thousands of people voiting.

Unread 09-02-2009, 03:47 PM
Bunker Buster

Yes Issac, but it doesnt explain why West ham players have a better rating than United.

its a public rating so doesn't involve journo's...I try not to get into the ABU thing, but surely all the high ratings for the hammers players havent come from abus?

Unread 09-02-2009, 04:07 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
I disagree about Scholes' pass. Absolutely lovely strike of a bouncing ball that looked routine only because he was the one who hit it. Did you see anything like that from West Ham? Or even from Carrick?
i've seen something similar about a thousand times before from Scholes

anyway, the point i was making has not to do with the technique used to get the ball there, it was that it was not a "killer ball" of the defence-splitting visionary genius type - or even of the slide-rule simple but expertly weighted type - but rather it was a routine pass back out to the corner taker, the classic 'out ball' in that situation

basically the writer was overstating the quality needed for United's goal. yes the players are of the highest calibre, we know that.

did you see Carrick's "killer ball" for Berbatov's winner against Spurs in the Cup btw
Closed Thread