United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 05-02-2009, 11:47 AM
Ginners

Default Fletcher considered leaving

Quote:
Manchester United midfielder Darren Fletcher has confessed that he was close to leaving Old Trafford in the summer.

The Scotland international met with manager Sir Alex Ferguson at the end of last season after a frustrating campaign which brought about just 10 starts.

The 25-year-old went with the intention to discuss a possible transfer but left having agreed to sign a new three-year deal and from then on he has not looked back.

Fletcher surpassed the number of starts he accumulated last term by late October and has amassed 26 appearances in all competitions to date.

With injuries to Paul Scholes, Michael Carrick, Owen Hargreaves and Anderson at different stages of the season Fletcher has been the mainstay in the United midfield, something which he couldn't have envisaged in the summer.

"It was a difficult summer," he told the Manchester Evening News.

"I had that ambition first and foremost but at the same time, I didn't want to tie myself into a long contract if I was only going to be playing for 10 games a season.

"I didn't want to see that as my future. I am not a youngster anymore. That is all right when you are 18 or 19.

Driven

"It's okay picking up games then and getting experience but at my age now I really needed to be playing the majority of games.

"People might say you are silly and that if United are offering you a contract why are you thinking about going.

"People were telling me I'd be stupid to go, but I am a footballer and I want to play. So I had a decision that was right for me and my family.

"I didn't want to be going home to my girlfriend in a bad mood because I hadn't been playing. You have to sit down and think about your future sometimes.

"Although it's great to be at United and winning things you also want to feel as though you have done something and played a big part in achieving that success.

"You don't want to just go along for the ride and scraping enough games together to get a medal. But it is hard to let go at United.

"The manager and me spoke about it. I only had a year left on my contract so I had a big decision to make.

Vital

"The boss assured me I was needed and I was a vital asset and there were different qualities I could bring to the midfield.

"Of course there wasn't a guarantee that I would definitely play more matches. He cannot guarantee you that, but I just thought I'd give it another go. I believe I can do it and that is my attitude. It was a good decision."

After agreeing to stay and fight for his place Fletcher knew he had to add another aspect to his game and he now feels all the hard work is beginning to pay off.

"I felt I had to add something to my game. I realised that going out and doing okay wasn't good enough," he added.

"For one I felt I had to add a threat to my game, the zone of terror just wasn't enough anymore. I took it upon myself to do that and be a little more selfish and get into the box.

"I have scored four goals this year and I aim to get more. This season I have made a conscious effort to get into the box and get more goals.

"I just wanted to add different things. I wanted to run harder, get in more tackles and improve all aspects.

"I have improved my physique for instance. I have put five kilos on with the gym work I have been doing. It is a big improvement and I am feeling the benefit."
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,195...896382,00.html

good read

Unread 05-02-2009, 11:48 AM
Whalefish

God bless Darren Fletcher, and god bless everyone.

Merry Christmas.

Unread 05-02-2009, 11:49 AM
marlo

and you wont guess who on here wanted him out the most.

i wonder if he will give this thread a 'miss'

Unread 05-02-2009, 11:51 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowman
and you wont guess who on here wanted him out the most.

i wonder if he will give this thread a 'miss'
You talkiing about me? Said many times recently that I'm glad he's improved so much and that he's an important player for us now. ou ever gonna admit your treatment of Carrick for 6 weeks before he even kicked a ball for us and for months after was ridiculous, or as usual will you choose to ignore this?

Unread 05-02-2009, 11:52 AM
ScholesScoresGoals2

Thumbs up

Good to see a player wanting to play.

Top man

Unread 05-02-2009, 11:53 AM
ScholesScoresGoals2

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
You talkiing about me? Said many times recently that I'm glad he's improved so much and that he's an important player for us now. ou ever gonna admit your treatment of Carrick for 6 weeks before he even kicked a ball for us and for months after was ridiculous, or as usual will you choose to ignore this?
TBF most people wanted Fletcher out and hes proved a lot of people (including me) wrong...hes got the right attitude and works his nuts off and has improved massively.
I'm glad I've been proved wrong

Unread 05-02-2009, 11:55 AM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Was happy he improved this season, thought it was good to have him in the squad but after reading this he's obviously turned into a big time charlie. Very disappointed.

Unread 05-02-2009, 11:55 AM
Whalefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScholesScoresGoals2
TBF most people wanted Fletcher out and hes proved a lot of people (including me) wrong...hes got the right attitude and works his nuts off and has improved massively.
I'm glad I've been proved wrong
That's pretty much spot on.

Unread 05-02-2009, 11:56 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
That's pretty much spot on.
Yup.

Unread 05-02-2009, 11:57 AM
dunk

I've always liked him and defended him.

Will be one of the top midfielders in the country at least in 2-3 years, IMO.

Unread 05-02-2009, 11:59 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
I've always liked him and defended him.

Will be one of the top midfielders in the country at least in 2-3 years, IMO.
Don't think he'll ever be that, he still is a bit of a limited player in some ways but he is now making the most of his actual ability and proving a very useful player, pareticularly in the bigger games when we need his energy and industry.

Unread 05-02-2009, 12:02 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
Don't think he'll ever be that, he still is a bit of a limited player in some ways but he is now making the most of his actual ability and proving a very useful player, pareticularly in the bigger games when we need his energy and industry.
He will continue to improve and grow in confidence.

That, and there isn't that much competition tbh.

Unread 05-02-2009, 12:18 PM
The Watcher

Thumbs up

Quote:
the zone of terror just wasn't enough anymore.
Nice edit there Ginlarde

Unread 05-02-2009, 12:21 PM
antonin jablonsky

Think the biggest factor in his improvement has been that in his physique which he describes. Still remember him losing a 70:30 mtackle to an Arsenal player who pulled out of the tackle about 4 years ago, drove me mad. Now he has the power to drive forward with the ball and coupled with his energy to become a real problem for teams trying to get at our back 4.

Unread 05-02-2009, 12:22 PM
Jack Duckworth

he's been brilliant this season, but let's not get all revisionist - he was absolutely gash. he was deservedly slated then, now he is deservedly praised.

Unread 05-02-2009, 12:25 PM
Stickman

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop
Was happy he improved this season, thought it was good to have him in the squad but after reading this he's obviously turned into a big time charlie. Very disappointed.
rofl

Unread 05-02-2009, 12:31 PM
red red robbo

Quote:
The 25-year-old went with the intention to discuss a possible transfer but left having agreed to sign a new three-year deal and from then on he has not looked back.
Now that's good man management

Much improved this season and, along with J O'Pie, is a very valuable member of the squad.

Unread 05-02-2009, 12:36 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by red red robbo
Now that's good man management

Much improved this season and, along with J O'Pie, is a very valuable member of the squad.
don't bring him into this, with the emergence of the twins and evans I'm hoping we don't see him again.

Unread 05-02-2009, 12:41 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Lets not get carried away, he's not great by any means. Doing a good job and pitched in with some very useful displays early on in the season but he's still basically a workhorse. Owen Hargreaves but weaker and less injury prone (work that out).

Unread 05-02-2009, 12:43 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop
Lets not get carried away, he's not great by any means. Doing a good job and pitched in with some very useful displays early on in the season but he's still basically a workhorse. Owen Hargreaves but weaker and less injury prone (work that out).
What he is, is a player who in bigger games when we are under pressure will work his arse off to enable other better players to play. In many of our games though we are completely dominant and he can be wasted as he lacks the guile to unlock defences so can end up just passing it sideways.
Closed Thread