United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 22-09-2014, 05:52 AM
sa7

Default The Case For The Defence

Obviously, our defending appears to be getting more nervy and error strewn with each poor performance they put in.

Smalling and Jones simply haven't come on due to several factors including mismanagement by Fergie and Moyes, Rojo is new to the club/league and seems incredibly rash in his decision making, Blackett is still finding his feet at first team level but has shown some signs of promise and the idea of Jonny Evans being the senior centre half at the club is simply

We were saying all summer that at least one experienced centre half is required. On the basis that prising Hummels away from Bayern's feeder club seems to be beyond reach, who else is out there who is available and would give us that instant boost of quality, confidence and dominance which we so clearly need is we're going to stop leaking like a £#%&!ing sieve?

Unread 22-09-2014, 06:52 AM
DakotaFredsBigShoe

I though jones was starting to look really solid as centre back. First time I've seen what the fuss was about him tbh.

Unread 22-09-2014, 06:53 AM
Ethers

Rojo looks like another Heinze at left-back.

hopefully we won't see much of him there.

Unread 22-09-2014, 07:02 AM
redhegemony

Jones would have stopped the first goal even if only by hurling himself in front of the player and taking it on the chin.

Unread 22-09-2014, 07:08 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers

Bit harsh to judge him this early, but I actually have been more impressed with him in central defence. But that was with Sporting in Portugal, which is hardly a level remotely close to what he'll have to deal with here.

But if QPR was a stroll for him and Blind, yesterday brought them down to earth.

Not having a brain and an organiser back there means any partnership we field is going to look suspect on paper. Personally, I'd be open to £#%&!ing Smalling and Evans off in January and getting an old head in, then push for Hummels again next summer.

Unread 22-09-2014, 07:10 AM
dunk

Quote:

Remember they said Heinze could play CB as well :shakehead: I'll never forgive that @#%&! for Milan at OT in '07

Bit concerning that they brought a clearly unfit and shot to pieces Smalling rather than Shaw and switch Rojo to CB. Everyone seemed convinced he was bought to play CB, I'm not so sure..

Unread 22-09-2014, 07:15 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Remember they said Heinze could play CB as well :shakehead: I'll never forgive that @#%&! for Milan at OT in '07

Bit concerning that they brought a clearly unfit and shot to pieces Smalling rather than Shaw and switch Rojo to CB. Everyone seemed convinced he was bought to play CB, I'm not so sure..
LvG likes balance. Two lefties in central defence would never be his preference.

Shaw will presumably come in for West Ham and we'll have a look at Rojo-Smalling as a pair

Unread 22-09-2014, 07:17 AM
waynes ear's

Impact sub, bring him on when we are looking to shore up the defence / midfield to prevent shipping a cricket score of goals

Unread 22-09-2014, 07:19 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
LvG likes balance. Two lefties in central defence would never be his preference.

Shaw will presumably come in for West Ham and we'll have a look at Rojo-Smalling as a pair
Yeah, suppose. Not sure that playing someone just because they are left or right footed is necessarily the best way to go...

Unread 22-09-2014, 07:22 AM
Lazlo Panaflex

Rojo will be a disaster at cb. He went for a ball he was never going to get on the touchline vs. QPR and got skinned. Yesterday he was picked on. Have a bad feeling this is another Heinze.

Unread 22-09-2014, 08:23 AM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazlo Panaflex
Rojo will be a disaster at cb. He went for a ball he was never going to get on the touchline vs. QPR and got skinned. Yesterday he was picked on. Have a bad feeling this is another Heinze.
Was probably the club’s fourth or fifth choice CB imo. Was bought only days after LvG’s showdown with the owners and Woodward iirc.

Don’t think there’s a single centre back of the required quality at United atm. Evans & Jones is probably the best we can do ffs. Might be an idea to switch back to a back three & play as many midfielders as possible in front of them

Unread 22-09-2014, 08:25 AM
elephantstone

I can see Blind going centre half and carrick playing deep on the diamond.

Unread 22-09-2014, 08:25 AM
Jethro

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
Was probably the club’s fourth or fifth choice CB imo. Was bought only days after LvG’s showdown with the owners and Woodward iirc.

Don’t think there’s a single centre back of the required quality at United atm. Evans & Jones is probably the best we can do ffs. Might be an idea to switch back to a back three & play as many midfielders as possible in front of them
Howedes, Vertonghen £#%&! it even Papadopoulos or Shawcross would do a job.

Unread 22-09-2014, 08:26 AM
Ethers

Quote:
Thought he was supposed to be a hard case? He was getting out muscled all over the park yesterday

Unread 22-09-2014, 08:31 AM
crockster

Quote:
Originally Posted by elephantstone
I can see Blind going centre half and carrick playing deep on the diamond.
Sounds good!

Do you fancy being our new coach pal?

Unread 22-09-2014, 08:34 AM
ashtonred

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakotaFredsBigShoe
I though jones was starting to look really solid as centre back. First time I've seen what the fuss was about him tbh.
The guy lacks basic intelligence on how to avoid injuries. That aside he wouldn´t get a place in any of the top teams in the league.

Unread 22-09-2014, 08:35 AM
elephantstone

No I struggle with child care

Unread 22-09-2014, 08:37 AM
ashtonred

Quote:

He shouldn´t even be there. Shaw should have started against Leicester. He was on the bench so he WAS fit enough to start.

Unread 22-09-2014, 08:39 AM
crockster

Quote:
Originally Posted by elephantstone
No I struggle with child care

Any idea when Jones is back?

Blind & Jones paired together as CB might work well

Unread 22-09-2014, 08:40 AM
ashtonred

Quote:
By Leicester - they channelled the majority of their forward play down the right for the majority of the game.
Closed Thread