United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 12-03-2023, 10:48 PM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
The The Scottish Player one at Palace is the worst of the lot IMO. Just a blatant trip. Past him, gone, tripped. Don’t see how it’s anything else. I usually try to at least understand why something isn’t given, even if I don’t agree. I can’t see any explanation for that.
I’m sure the argument re the palace one was the defender got his toe on the ball, which on one angle looks plausible. I think it’s a foul though.

The handball from yesterday there is no excuse to not give regardless of whether the lad has slipped, he’s gained a big advantage by using his hand to defend.

Unread 12-03-2023, 10:55 PM
GBMUFC2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
I didn't think the handball was a penalty, as he was trying to get his arm out of the way. but I thought there were two other penalties we could have been given and that's not counting checking properly whether there was any contact with the keeper when rashford tripped himself.

the other games... nailed on. referees are shit.
No advantaged gained then. He should have just let it roll through

Unread 12-03-2023, 11:37 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBMUFC2020
No advantaged gained then. He should have just let it roll through
um... he was trying to get his arm out of the way... so, how could he let it roll through? try harder?

Unread 12-03-2023, 11:42 PM
Sparky***

If the old adage that "luck evens itself out" is even remotely true, then christ brace yourselves because we're due a shed load in the last couple of months of the season

Unread 12-03-2023, 11:54 PM
magic_cantona

Remember Everton piling into De Gea, Calvert-Lewin putting an arm across his face and scoring? Goal given.

Lindelof having a hand on his face and a forward all over his back vs West Brom? Goal given.

Sheffield United piling in on DDG, shoving him in the back as they scored? Goal given.

Then Martial touches their keeper - goal disallowed.

And this was in the earlyish stages of VAR - its got a lot more frequent and a lot more absurd since.

Unread 12-03-2023, 11:56 PM
Medlock

I always knew it would be terrible but it far far worse than I expected. The joy of a goal gone forever

Unread 13-03-2023, 12:12 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona
Remember Everton piling into De Gea, Calvert-Lewin putting an arm across his face and scoring? Goal given.

Lindelof having a hand on his face and a forward all over his back vs West Brom? Goal given.

Sheffield United piling in on DDG, shoving him in the back as they scored? Goal given.

Then Martial touches their keeper - goal disallowed.

And this was in the earlyish stages of VAR - its got a lot more frequent and a lot more absurd since.
Nobody will ever convince me that consciously or not, refs think about the consequences of giving United any sort of marginal decision. If we get any kind of soft red card or pen go our way the fallout afterwards must surely have some kind of effect on the decisions they give. They get utterly dismantled in the media for days afterwards, I wonder sometimes do they just think it's not worth the hassle.

Because nobody will be talking about that casemiro sending off beyond tomorrow, but rest assured people still talk about our players shouting at a ref 25 years ago and bring it up all the time.

Unread 13-03-2023, 12:32 AM
avocado

It’s removed any accountability or responsibility from referees. It’s now never their fault - it’s down to VAR. That inevitably leads to a reduction in refereeing standards. The man in the TV studio hundreds of miles away cannot possibly assess what has happened in the heat of the game. Clear and obvious errors maybe, but forensic analysis has no part in the game. If you can’t see in 10 seconds it was wrong, the decison stands. And that goes for offside as well.

Unread 13-03-2023, 03:06 AM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Nobody will ever convince me that consciously or not, refs think about the consequences of giving United any sort of marginal decision. If we get any kind of soft red card or pen go our way the fallout afterwards must surely have some kind of effect on the decisions they give. They get utterly dismantled in the media for days afterwards, I wonder sometimes do they just think it's not worth the hassle.

Because nobody will be talking about that casemiro sending off beyond tomorrow, but rest assured people still talk about our players shouting at a ref 25 years ago and bring it up all the time.

Totally agree.

The most the Casemiro will be spoke about will be from Neville and Keane who will no doubt start going OTT as usual. Sick of the pair of them tbh. It'd be genuinely refreshing to hear one of the @#%&!s say it like it is and admit we've been shat on.

Unread 13-03-2023, 03:37 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:

Andre Marriner (coincidentally) quite openly said as much a couple of years ago. Been going on for years and getting worse. Wonder what we are in for this weekend?

Unread 13-03-2023, 03:37 AM
Dueling Banjos

Quote:

What's that all about?

Unread 13-03-2023, 03:38 AM
Stickman

Neville will just say its careless and that Casemiro was asking for it in a bid to protect his popularity which in turn keeps the Sky gravy train rolling for him.

Unread 13-03-2023, 06:08 AM
shenwen

It's an inconsistent mess.

Personally, the Casemiro foul I would expect a red if it was against us. The handball I would argue was not a penalty if it was against us. But that's not the point. The fact is that one week they're given and the next week they're not. The real killer though is this idea of ref's making clear and obvious mistakes. It's a bizarre concept and I wonder if it was put there to cover their backs. At the very least the ref should have been forced to review the handball. It's got to be his decision at the end of the day,

Unread 13-03-2023, 07:57 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
Neville will just say its careless and that Casemiro was asking for it in a bid to protect his popularity which in turn keeps the Sky gravy train rolling for him.
Just glad he wasn’t on commentary so we didn’t have to hear his patented ‘oooooh’ like the players are naughty children.

Unread 13-03-2023, 09:19 AM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody78
Genuinely hate it. Always have.

Can't even have a proper goon any more because you've no idea if the goal will stand.

Bin
Sometimes get a double Goon though, the goon then the var goon...

Unread 13-03-2023, 09:22 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:

This is what I never understand the notion that refs favour United. Why would they? For exactly the reasons you’ve said. It’s in their interests to NOT give it.

Look at Howard Webb. One of the highest profile refs of the last 20 years and he’s synonymous with being a United biased ref because of one decision he made one time.

Unread 13-03-2023, 09:25 AM
Patty_b

The handball and the Casemiro challenge are similar in a way imo. If one is a red card the other is a penalty.

Casemiro was unlucky in the sense that he clearly won the ball first, but his foot bounced up and over and onto the player. If it's a red card by the letter of the law because he made the mistake of not having full control over this body resulting in the foul, no matter how unlucky it is, then fair enough. It's a red card.

Their defender made a mistake and slipped, which resulted in him clearly handing the ball (almost picking it up), and stopping the ball getting through to an opposition player. It's unlucky, but if by the letter of the law that's a handball because he didn't have full control over his body, then it's a handball, not matter how unlucky it is. Except it wasn't yesterday.

Odd. Seems that opposition players can get let off with honest mistakes that should be punished, but our players can't.

Then there's the Rashford one, which is a blatant pen. Not sure why there's so many people playing the Gary Neville role saying it's not a penalty, because it is. I used to be a goalkeeper and if I made that sort of contact with Rashford then I'd be certain that a penalty would be given against me. You can't come out and miss the ball and make contact with the player. Doesn't matter if you're a goalkeeper closing down the angle or a defender making an honest attempt at sliding in and missing the ball, but catching the player a bit. It's a foul.

Then there's the tackle on Garnacho, which should have resulted in a red card. The tackle on Garnacho is a text book example of the sort of tackles referees are meant to be punishing more harshly now. And the reason they're meant to be being more harshly punished is because research showed that it was the most likely way to injure an opponent, due to their leg getting trapped between or under the tackler. And guess what happened? Garnacho was injured as a result of a textbook tackle the referees are meant to be taking a hard line against, regardless as to whether the ball was won first. And it wasn't even considered to be a foul.

Utterly ridiculous refereeing performance once again for what we're told is the best, most elite league in the world. It's an absolute joke.

Unread 13-03-2023, 09:25 AM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
Just glad he wasn’t on commentary so we didn’t have to hear his patented ‘oooooh’ like the players are naughty children.
And you just know he'd have categorically said Casemiro had to go and the handball wasn't a penalty too. Its like he can't tell the difference between impartiality and outright bias towards us. Genuinely sick of these spineless £#%&!ers who never mention anything about us being robbed or something being a terrible decision.

Roy Keane is an idol of mine but he's just as bad. Sod the impartiality, just go over the top about United and always make it negative. Really starting to dislike the pair of them.

Unread 13-03-2023, 09:36 AM
woody78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Sometimes get a double Goon though, the goon then the var goon...

I don't fully commit anymore and the var goon is half arsed

Unread 13-03-2023, 09:44 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
The handball and the Casemiro challenge are similar in a way imo. If one is a red card the other is a penalty.

Casemiro was unlucky in the sense that he clearly won the ball first, but his foot bounced up and over and onto the player. If it's a red card by the letter of the law because he made the mistake of not having full control over this body resulting in the foul, no matter how unlucky it is, then fair enough. It's a red card.

Their defender made a mistake and slipped, which resulted in him clearly handing the ball (almost picking it up), and stopping the ball getting through to an opposition player. It's unlucky, but if by the letter of the law that's a handball because he didn't have full control over his body, then it's a handball, not matter how unlucky it is. Except it wasn't yesterday.

Odd. Seems that opposition players can get let off with honest mistakes that should be punished, but our players can't.

Then there's the Rashford one, which is a blatant pen. Not sure why there's so many people playing the Gary Neville role saying it's not a penalty, because it is. I used to be a goalkeeper and if I made that sort of contact with Rashford then I'd be certain that a penalty would be given against me. You can't come out and miss the ball and make contact with the player. Doesn't matter if you're a goalkeeper closing down the angle or a defender making an honest attempt at sliding in and missing the ball, but catching the player a bit. It's a foul.

Then there's the tackle on Garnacho, which should have resulted in a red card. The tackle on Garnacho is a text book example of the sort of tackles referees are meant to be punishing more harshly now. And the reason they're meant to be being more harshly punished is because research showed that it was the most likely way to injure an opponent, due to their leg getting trapped between or under the tackler. And guess what happened? Garnacho was injured as a result of a textbook tackle the referees are meant to be taking a hard line against, regardless as to whether the ball was won first. And it wasn't even considered to be a foul.

Utterly ridiculous refereeing performance once again for what we're told is the best, most elite league in the world. It's an absolute joke.
I know you are addressing the shitshow from yesterday but the worst of the lot was that £#%&!ing Geordie oaf putting Eriksen out of the game for months. Should be used to this shit but I still cannot get over how that came and went with barely any comment, plus, the fact that it wasn’t even given as a foul. Absolutely disgusting. Don’t know if he was trying to put out as many of our players as he could with the top 4 battle and a cup final vs his fave club. Number one culprits are the media, followed by the cowards that dance to their tune

Genuinely wonder where this will all end
Closed Thread