United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 12-03-2023, 08:15 PM
Sparky***

Default VA bloody R

I can't think of too many occasions this season - aside from the goal against City, where i've come away from the game thinking 'blimey VAR has given us a leg up there'...

.. I've come away from at least half a dozen games this season thinking what is the £#%&!ing point in it? It exists at this stage to purely see how they can rule out goals or enforce rules which seem to change at the whim of whoever is control of the VAR cameras that weekend.

Why are some tackles worthy of forensic inspection but others not? Why are they denying blatant penalties like The Scottish Player at Palace but if the ball slightly grazes your arm when someone belts it at 40mph at you in the box it's a pen?

I hate it. I was in favour at the start because i honestly thought it would end up that you'd get the right decision more often that not but every weekend you end up wondering how it's going to £#%&! you over this week.

Unread 12-03-2023, 08:18 PM
Gordon Hill

I acc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
I can't think of too many occasions this season - aside from the goal against City, where i've come away from the game thinking 'blimey VAR has given us a leg up there'...

.. I've come away from at least half a dozen games this season thinking what is the £#%&!ing point in it? It exists at this stage to purely see how they can rule out goals or enforce rules which seem to change at the whim of whoever is control of the VAR cameras that weekend.

Why are some tackles worthy of forensic inspection but others not? Why are they denying blatant penalties like The Scottish Player at Palace but if the ball slightly grazes your arm when someone belts it at 40mph at you in the box it's a pen?

I hate it. I was in favour at the start because i honestly thought it would end up that you'd get the right decision more often that not but every weekend you end up wondering how it's going to £#%&! you over this week.
Yes I know it serves no usful purpose whatsoever!

Unread 12-03-2023, 08:19 PM
magic_cantona

Can't even properly celebrate a goal anymore.

Consistently bizarre decisions with no explanations from referees.

Totally spoils the game because the bad vastly outweighs the good. Bin. Now.

Unread 12-03-2023, 08:23 PM
Vedder

It’s £#%&!ing minging at least before you’d give the officials benefit of the doubt with some decisions but there’s no excuse with VAR and they still get it wrong Marriner thought it was a red card today yet he was the ref for Chelsea yesterday and let worse challenges go

Unread 12-03-2023, 08:24 PM
Dasilvatwins

The problem is the incompetence referees. You will get inconsistencies because decisions generally are subjective.

Personally they should only have it for offside and even then the offside has to show daylight between the two lines.

Take today for e.g. the referee saw casemiros challenge, he deemed it a yellow. When you slow it down it looks so much worse.

Even with the technology Casemiro wins the ball and it rolls off it. In that split second you can’t make the decision to pull your leg out.

If you’re giving Casemiro a foul even though he won the ball, then how on earth can you let garnachos foul go? If the player is “taken out” or is subject to result of a dangerous challenge , which is what Casemiro was down for, then Clyne should also be penalised for a scissor tackle wrapping his legs round garnachos ankle like he’s ric flair.

Then there are the two penalties, Bruno is fouled , defender gets the ball after he fouls Bruno , and the hand ball where the player is a good 10 yards away from when the ball has been struck so has more than enough time to move his arms out the way.

He’s not even in a natural position? On all fours .

More to the point these referees constantly bang on about “clear and obvious error” how could it have gone to VAR? Clear and obvious errors is if he didn’t see the challenge. He clearly did because he yellow carded Casemiro

Either he didn’t see it , in which case it was clear and obvious error , for which why is he booking Casemiro to begin with, or he did see it and as a result shouldn’t have gone to the monitor because in real time he saw the challenge and deemed it only a yellow.

Casemiros red; Bruno’s penalty; handball penalty; garnachos foul. All approached with inconsistent use in the same game.

(Fwiw I don’t think garnachos was a foul but if we are considering casemiros is then you must approach all other challenges in the game the same way)

Unread 12-03-2023, 08:26 PM
Fat Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***

When the ref was looking at the tackle that he sent Casemiro off for, he only looked at one angle. I'm sure the fact that the other angle showed Casemiro in a better light has nothing to do with it.

Unread 12-03-2023, 08:29 PM
dunk

I’m not a fan.

Unread 12-03-2023, 08:32 PM
ZiggyStardust

Initially VAR worked fine for us as it intervened when the wrong decision was made however now it has become arbitrary when it intervenes and when it doesn’t

This is why it’s now £#%&!ing us over as refs know if Utd get anything or get away with anything then there will be a media shitstorm from it so naturally the refs avoid bringing that on themselves

ETH is starting to have a go at them and rightly so
Need to start to cause a big stink after everytime they £#%&! us over to pressure them into giving us fair decisions

Unread 12-03-2023, 08:37 PM
dunk

Said it somewhere else, but it’s giving Refs another line of defence. They can happily give United £#%&! all, and even be harsh on them, and VAR will only pull up the ridiculous, meaning all marginal decisions will go against us either way. If a ref gives it and he shouldn’t ‘ah well, VAR didn’t step in so it’s fine’ if they do give it and they shouldn’t have ‘ah well, VAR didn’t step in so it’s fine’. Wrap that up with an eagerness to punish United and to not be seen to favouring be United annd VAR’s anbility to weigh in when it suits them, and we’re basically £#%&!ed. And that’s how the season has played out. The only decisions even given a second look have been those we’re perceived to have benefitted; the City goal, Sabitzer’s tackle the other week, the 5 or 6 penalties we should’ve had or the now 2 red cards we shouldn’t, consigned to ‘VAR got it right’.

£#%&!ing shite.

Unread 12-03-2023, 08:43 PM
woody78

Genuinely hate it. Always have.

Can't even have a proper goon any more because you've no idea if the goal will stand.

Bin

Unread 12-03-2023, 08:47 PM
dunk

Has a ref given us a penalty without a VAR intervention this season? Other than at City with the game dead?

It’s easier to not give it in 99% of circumstances.

Unread 12-03-2023, 09:06 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilvatwins
The problem is the incompetence referees.
this. fatty is shit. marriner is shit. give them a tv and they're just shit, but with a tv.

I like var. I just don't like referees.

Unread 12-03-2023, 09:23 PM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Has a ref given us a penalty without a VAR intervention this season? Other than at City with the game dead?

It’s easier to not give it in 99% of circumstances.
The city one is stupid anyway. By the letter of the law the goal should stand. You could argue the law shouldn’t be in place but nothing was declared wrong. If it happened at any other game week for any other team in the league it would still stand.

There’s many examples of the same situation on YouTube of it happening for other teams .

Unread 12-03-2023, 09:25 PM
Dr Stranger

I hate it. A joyless, forensic buzzkill that doesn’t even get things as right as it should. We like to think it’s technology, but it’s only another hapless official sticking their oar in.

The majority of calls in football are largely subjective and they try to pretend they’re not. It only results in ridiculous inconsistencies.

The lines on offside are stupid, the footage they watch pitchside is misleading and shown with a view to changing their mind and the officials are making poorer onfield decisions because they know they can shirk the responsibility.

I never wanted and nothing since it’s been in use has changed my mind.

Unread 12-03-2023, 09:52 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
The lines on offside are stupid....
this, but they always freeze it on the wrong frame anyway.

Unread 12-03-2023, 09:55 PM
Dr Stranger

Three baffling decisions that cost us six points.

Unread 12-03-2023, 10:24 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
https://twitter.com/utdfaithfuls/sta...aSbh7vgQsN2lEQ

Three baffling decisions that cost us six points.
I didn't think the handball was a penalty, as he was trying to get his arm out of the way. but I thought there were two other penalties we could have been given and that's not counting checking properly whether there was any contact with the keeper when rashford tripped himself.

the other games... nailed on. referees are shit.

Unread 12-03-2023, 10:28 PM
dunk

I'm 50/50 on the handball tbf, if it was given I could understand as it's going to Weghorst, but it'd be harsh.

The tackle on Bruno is a penalty, for me. The scissor tackle on Garnacho is a foul and a penalty, imo, it's dangerous play. Rashford was deffo clipped, would've been a soft penalty though. City or Liverpool get at least 2 of those 3. Maybe all 3.

The other penalties on that video are ridiculous.

It's infuriating that Casemiro was sent off for dangerous play yet the lad he tackled played the 90 (I think, certainly played on) and the actual dangerous tackle that led to an injury wasn't a foul or even looked at.

Unread 12-03-2023, 10:34 PM
GBMUFC2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilvatwins
The problem is the incompetence referees. You will get inconsistencies because decisions generally are subjective.

Personally they should only have it for offside and even then the offside has to show daylight between the two lines.

Take today for e.g. the referee saw casemiros challenge, he deemed it a yellow. When you slow it down it looks so much worse.

Even with the technology Casemiro wins the ball and it rolls off it. In that split second you can’t make the decision to pull your leg out.

If you’re giving Casemiro a foul even though he won the ball, then how on earth can you let garnachos foul go? If the player is “taken out” or is subject to result of a dangerous challenge , which is what Casemiro was down for, then Clyne should also be penalised for a scissor tackle wrapping his legs round garnachos ankle like he’s ric flair.

Then there are the two penalties, Bruno is fouled , defender gets the ball after he fouls Bruno , and the hand ball where the player is a good 10 yards away from when the ball has been struck so has more than enough time to move his arms out the way.

He’s not even in a natural position? On all fours .

More to the point these referees constantly bang on about “clear and obvious error” how could it have gone to VAR? Clear and obvious errors is if he didn’t see the challenge. He clearly did because he yellow carded Casemiro

Either he didn’t see it , in which case it was clear and obvious error , for which why is he booking Casemiro to begin with, or he did see it and as a result shouldn’t have gone to the monitor because in real time he saw the challenge and deemed it only a yellow.

Casemiros red; Bruno’s penalty; handball penalty; garnachos foul. All approached with inconsistent use in the same game.

(Fwiw I don’t think garnachos was a foul but if we are considering casemiros is then you must approach all other challenges in the game the same way)
All of this. Bent scouse @#%&!. He was in line with the hand ball 10 yards away at most. Were VAR asleep?

Unread 12-03-2023, 10:37 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
I'm 50/50 on the handball tbf, if it was given I could understand as it's going to Weghorst, but it'd be harsh.

The tackle on Bruno is a penalty, for me. The scissor tackle on Garnacho is a foul and a penalty, imo, it's dangerous play. Rashford was deffo clipped, would've been a soft penalty though. City or Liverpool get at least 2 of those 3. Maybe all 3.

The other penalties on that video are ridiculous.

It's infuriating that Casemiro was sent off for dangerous play yet the lad he tackled played the 90 (I think, certainly played on) and the actual dangerous tackle that led to an injury wasn't a foul or even looked at.
The The Scottish Player one at Palace is the worst of the lot IMO. Just a blatant trip. Past him, gone, tripped. Don’t see how it’s anything else. I usually try to at least understand why something isn’t given, even if I don’t agree. I can’t see any explanation for that.
Closed Thread