Gutted, some Guy..... 25 43.10%
Bye, best of luck etc 33 56.90%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Unread 06-01-2018, 12:57 AM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
I was rather hoping that he would, as he promised, make united into a team that was tough to beat, well organised and capable of playing beautiful, mesmerising football. but he's just been the same old @#%&!. although he did buy matic.

I don't give a £#%&! if he smiles or gets his underpants ironed. I do want him to do his job properly, though. maybe spot some players with potential and improve them in a team that looks like it knows what the £#%&! it is doing
How long did that take Fergie to accomplish?

Back in 86 I thought he was a huge @#%&! and extremely dour. And 3 years later he’d done nothing to show otherwise, and the football was utter turd.

Unread 06-01-2018, 12:58 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy Dodger
Jeremy wasn’t into ghastly “footie” in the 80s

Unread 06-01-2018, 01:04 AM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryX
With Fergie it felt like he was one of us: the love he had for the club was palpable.
Right away? Could you feel the love in 1989?

Could you feel the love when he threatened to quit on the eve of an fa cup final? How about when he sued coolmore? during the glazer takeover? During the no value years whilst a billion was being sucked out on dent servicing?

Unread 06-01-2018, 01:07 AM
dunk

Quote:

Could you feel the love when he threatened to quit on the eve of an fa cup final? How about when he sued coolmore? during the glazer takeover? During the no value years whilst a billion was being sucked out on dent servicing?
Was the club in a car crash similar to your posts?

Unread 06-01-2018, 01:08 AM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Saying 'it probably wouldn't have gone ahead' is highly debatable and there's just no way to ascertain whether or not that's true. Who's to say American banks/funds wouldn't have lent them the money anyway - after all Fergie was no spring chicken at the time, so replacing him would have been part of their business plan.
It really isn’t debatable. Take away Fergie and the risk sky rockets, as demonstrated since his retirement. But coolmore had him by the balls due to his past behaviour and he had no flexibility to make a stand even if he wanted to. The Glazers also chucked a shit load of money at him to keep him sweet, such was his importance. The classic carrot and stick, and that’s probably the only reason he stayed as long as he did.

Quote:
But not as important as their long term business plan, which I guess would have had a post-Fergie contingency strategy
I don’t know how anyone could think such a thing having witnessed their approach since he retired. The glazers were extremely fortunate Fergie lasted as long as he did. If he’d retired 6 years earlier I think the club would have been in real danger.

Quote:
My point being is that Fergie clearly loves the club, just as we do, and it wasn't just about the money for him.
The people who worked closest with him would probably not agree, based on comments Edwards and Gill have made about fergies love of money. And that’s some statement coming from those money grabbing @#%&!s.

Unread 06-01-2018, 03:10 AM
waynes ear's

Quote:
It really isn’t debatable. Take away Fergie and the risk sky rockets, as demonstrated since his retirement. But coolmore had him by the balls due to his past behaviour and he had no flexibility to make a stand even if he wanted to. The Glazers also chucked a shit load of money at him to keep him sweet, such was his importance. The classic carrot and stick, and that’s probably the only reason he stayed as long as he did.

I don’t know how anyone could think such a thing having witnessed their approach since he retired. The glazers were extremely fortunate Fergie lasted as long as he did. If he’d retired 6 years earlier I think the club would have been in real danger.

The people who worked closest with him would probably not agree, based on comments Edwards and Gill have made about fergies love of money. And that’s some statement coming from those money grabbing @#%&!s.
Dodger absolutely smashes it out of the park.

Vvg2c

Unread 06-01-2018, 09:30 AM
20 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***

Unread 06-01-2018, 11:02 AM
MOE1948

It really doesn't matter because they have found the reason for our poor performances
at Old Trafford...

Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho believes Old Trafford's ball boys are too slow and feels they are affecting his side's home form

Unread 06-01-2018, 12:02 PM
Clarkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOE1948
It really doesn't matter because they have found the reason for our poor performances
at Old Trafford...

Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho believes Old Trafford's ball boys are too slow and feels they are affecting his side's home form
I remember Fergie making a similar excuse one time, saying the groundsman was at fault for us struggling to win a home game against Blackburn

Unread 06-01-2018, 04:02 PM
BarryX

Quote:

It was obvious from the day he arrived what it meant to him, yes. And whilst there might have been moments when circumstances led to that passion being brought into question, overall there's no doubt that he loved the club.

Compare it to a marriage, if you will: just because a husband threatens to walk out on his Mrs before a big event, sues an old family friend or stays with her even though she's run up a huge credit card bill, doesn't mean he no longer loves her. Nobody's perfect, but Ferguson as manager of Utd was as close to perfection as we could ever have hoped for.

Quote:
So both you and Jem honestly think the banks wouldn't have lent the Glazers the money had it not been for who was managing us at the particular point in time? He was in his mid-sixties, FFS, had just had heart problems and had already announced, four years prior to the takeover, that he was going to retire. To say 'it's not debatable' that they would have been refused the money were it not for Ferguson staying on, is therefore nonsensical. Of course the banks/lenders knew Ferguson wasn't going to stay on as manager for very long after the takeover and we (and they) were extremely lucky that he lasted as long as he did.

Quote:
In danger of what exactly - going bankrupt? Not winning any more trophies?? The Glazers got the finance because the lenders had faith in their ability to recruit new talent (amongst many other things) - I'm not for a second suggesting I supported such a decision, but clearly they were trusted in that department by those that mattered (the lenders) and it had to have been part of the business plan that was signed off on.

Quote:
The people who worked closest with him would probably not agree, based on comments Edwards and Gill have made about fergies love of money. And that’s some statement coming from those money grabbing c***s.
Of course paymasters will b***h and moan about having to fork out cash - doesn't mean Fergie shouldn't have asked for more or had the right to look after his own family as best he could (nepotism aside). Neither is it any indication that he didn't love the club.

Unread 06-01-2018, 08:04 PM
jem

Quote:

Back in 86 I thought he was a huge @#%&! and extremely dour. And 3 years later he’d done nothing to show otherwise, and the football was utter turd.
I'd like to say that, to be fair to fergie, he did not inherit a team that had won the league or just needed a couple of players, but.... if it hadn't been for losing the entire midfield a couple of years earlier, united might well have won the league and they were there or thereabouts, not to mention winning cups and looking generally competitive (if a little reliant on robbo's fitness) under atkinson. there was something to build on (robson, hughes, mcgrath, whiteside...). they just weren't doing that well at the precise moment he came in. but you're right. the football wasn't that great for the first few years (or the last few).

Quote:
*sigh*

I was watching cup finals before you were born, idiot, and standing in the paddock when it cost 15p. not to mention banging in goals when I should have been studying, playing subbuteo and super striker when it was raining, cutting out pictures of martin buchan and stevie coppell from shoot!, etc. I lived, ate and breathed football. I certainly don't need to be schooled in the game or managers by someone smaller than one of my pre-breakfast shits. all you are doing here is lifting your skirt to show your own prejudice slip (again). oh, jeremy can speak properly, he can't really like football. you've got to be poor, of dubious heritage and with some horrible regional accent to be taken seriously.

Quote:
So both you and Jem honestly think the banks wouldn't have lent the Glazers the money had it not been for who was managing us at the particular point in time?
that's not quite what was said, now, is it?

banks don't like risk. if the existing management and the entire customer base threatens to desert a company, it is worthless. soz. see ratners. the continuity was important, but it's more the revolution that fergie could have catalysed that would have completely undermined the takeover rationale. a lot more than sending pizzas.

Unread 06-01-2018, 08:12 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem

*sigh*

I was watching cup finals before you were born, idiot, and standing in the paddock when it cost 15p. not to mention banging in goals when I should have been studying, playing subbuteo and super striker when it was raining, cutting out pictures of martin buchan and stevie coppell from shoot!, etc. I lived, ate and breathed football. I certainly don't need to be schooled in the game or managers by someone smaller than one of my pre-breakfast shits. all you are doing here is lifting your skirt to show your own prejudice slip (again). oh, jeremy can speak properly, he can't really like football. you've got to be poor, of dubious heritage and with some horrible regional accent to be taken seriously.
Wibble

Unread 06-01-2018, 08:15 PM
jem

Quote:
Wibble
yes, rodney.
Closed Thread