United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 05-01-2011, 03:14 PM
Coracao

Talking This is up there with Bebe's rise from tramp to international recognition

A homeless man in the US has become an internet hit after using his "God-given gift of voice" to beg for money.

Ted Williams was spotted by a videographer in Columbus, Ohio and filmed delivering his smooth baritone for spare change.

The video of him giving voiceover lines has been viewed over 400,000 times and he is being chased to appear on several television chat shows.

In it he says he become obsessed with radio as a teenager after meeting a station announcer who looked nothing like his voice would suggest.

"He said to me: 'Radio is defined as theatre of mind'," Williams added.

"I can't be an actor, I can't be an on-air personality. The voice became something of a development."

Williams said he attended broadcasting school but problems with alcohol, drugs and "a few other things" ended his ambitions.

He now claims to have been sober for two years and begs for money with a sign saying: "I have a God-given gift of voice.

"I'm an ex-radio announcer who has fallen on hard times. Please! Any help will be greatly appreciated."

Local newspaper the Columbus Dispatch says Williams is wanted by WBNS-TV to narrate promotional spots during its first ever 'One Day To End Homelessness' telethon on Jan 31.

He has also received a $10,000 (£6,39 0 offer for voiceover work from the Ohio Credit Union League.

"We're on pins and needles," said Tony Florentino from local radio station WNCI.

"I think he really has no idea how big this is going to be."

Unread 05-01-2011, 03:16 PM
Coracao

Default Re: This is up there with Bebe's rise from tramp to international recognition

Updates from the youtube video;

Throwing this video from the Columbus Dispatch out there, hoping we can find this talent a place to call home.

UPDATE-1: Many thanks go out to all of you who have been tossing phone numbers and e-mails my way for Ted's sake. I went up to Hudson/I-71 (Columbus) today, but Ted wasn't there. He is going to be on air tomorrow morning on radio station WNCI. I've left my contact info w/WNCI to call/e-mail me on a way to get your enormous opportunities over to him.

I'm going to give him a Trac phone (w/ample minutes) so that he can return calls to all of you.

Hopefully, in some way I'll get in contact w/him. Peace.

UPDATE-2: To all those who have been writing me (as one of Ted's only means of contact), I have learned that the radio station interviewing him tomorrow (1-5-11) a.m. is going to make him a formal offer. Whether true or not, we'll see.

Hope it works out well for him. That was the whole point of me posting this video. I cannot thank enough everyone who was willing to do their part in offering Ted their helping hand.

Whoever lands him is certainly getting much more than a memorable personality; they're getting a great human being as part of their team.

My best to all.

UPDATE-FINAL: Well everyone. You can give yourselves and Ted a high-five. He's being given offers hand-over-fist over the air. He'll be set for life.

My request to all. Whenever you run across a story such as this, don't assume it'll take a life of its own, on its own. It won't. It can't. There are too many other stories that drown out the next one.

You need to spend time to get that story, its word out to many. If you care, you'll do it.

Keep the faith, pay forward and always lend a hand; even if you're the one who needs it.

God bless Mr. Williams. I'm sure we'll be seeing more of him for sometime to come.

Unread 05-01-2011, 03:17 PM
Ginners

Default Re: This is up there with Bebe's rise from tramp to international recognition

that is amazing!

i reckon he could do a good small man in a box voice

bet he goes and buys a solid gold house

Unread 05-01-2011, 03:23 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginners
that is amazing!

I reckon he could do a good small man in a box voice

Unread 05-01-2011, 03:29 PM
dodger

Good for him.

Is he another of the Dodson's though?

Unread 05-01-2011, 03:32 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginners

and walks past homeless people whilst setting fire to 50 dollar notes and laughing dramatically.

Unread 05-01-2011, 04:59 PM
Sparky***

first things first he needs to get his teeth done.

Unread 05-01-2011, 05:01 PM
BarryX

saw that this morning on CNN. Cracked me up...

can he play the penny whistle I wonder...

Unread 05-01-2011, 05:12 PM
red @rmy

£#%&!ing quality.

Unread 05-01-2011, 05:34 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
to do voiceovers?

Unread 05-01-2011, 05:35 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
to do voiceovers?
No, to be seen in public. looks like a mouth full of fag ends.

Unread 05-01-2011, 06:33 PM
Gordon Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryX
saw that this morning on CNN. Cracked me up...

can he play the penny whistle I wonder...
That's the question were all asking

Unread 05-01-2011, 06:39 PM
plopborsky

http://online.wsj.com/article/AP20ed...cdce4cb48.html

CLEVELAND — The Cleveland Cavaliers have offered an unspecified job to a homeless Ohio man with a golden radio voice.

Ted Williams, whose deep baritone and plight have made him an online video sensation, was first contacted Wednesday by the Cavaliers.

Team spokesman Tad Carper said details are still being worked out on a possible position for Williams. Carper said any job could include working in Quicken Loans Arena, the NBA team's downtown arena. It is not yet known if Williams has accepted the team's offer.

Williams was spotted by the Columbus Dispatch standing near an exit ramp off Interstate 71. In a video interview, Williams — holding a cardboard sign that asks motorists for help and says, "I'm an ex-radio announcer who has fallen on hard times" — explains in his smooth, deep voice that he grew up in Brooklyn, N.Y.. and that he was drawn to radio at the age of 14.

Williams said he went to school for his voice, but that his life was later affected by alcohol and drugs. Williams claims to have been sober for two years.

Any publicity is good publicity, perhaps, for the Cavaliers, who are 8-26 and in last place in the Central Division. They play Toronto tonight in Cleveland.

—Copyright 2011 Associated Press

Unread 05-01-2011, 06:48 PM
Coracao

Thumbs up Re: This is up there with Bebe's rise from tramp to international recognition

How long until he has his own chat show?

Unread 05-01-2011, 06:50 PM
plopborsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
How long until he has his own chat show?
i think shit like this is brilliant

Unread 05-01-2011, 09:10 PM
MrBishi

Living the American dream

Unread 06-01-2011, 12:48 PM
BarryX

saw an update on CNN this morning - apparently he is now set up for life, has been totally inundated with offers for radio work, and was even invited to hollywood. Oh, and a loan company said they would give him a house and pay off the mortgage for him The power of the interweb in effect...

He was a bit of a naughty boy in the past, though:
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documen...n-golden-voice

Everyone deserves a second chance. God Bless America!

Unread 06-01-2011, 12:56 PM
Crumps

Unread 06-01-2011, 12:58 PM
thrills_pills_bellyaches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Might affect his voice...that's why Freddy Mercury never got his seen too

Unread 06-01-2011, 03:09 PM
S/Side.Red

What a story

Closed Thread