United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 26-11-2006, 01:18 PM
Whalefish

Not the only one armchair. He's frustrating at times but games like Celtic happen. Although I've not seen us dominate a match so easily and still lose for sometime now.

Unread 26-11-2006, 01:19 PM
Macca1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair

I've been shocked by the criticism Saha has got this week btw.

Goes to show how £#%&!le some of our support truely is dosent it god knows what we would have done without him this season,not saying he's world class but he hasnt half played some great football

Unread 26-11-2006, 01:21 PM
tatty

I didn't rate Carrick when he was at Spurs and nothing he has done since arriving at OT has made me change my mind. I can accept that he's nice and neat with his passing but for me his contribution doesn't go much further than that.

I look at him and see a slower Ray Wilkins (if that isn't a dichotomy).

Unread 26-11-2006, 01:39 PM
Whalefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty
I didn't rate Carrick when he was at Spurs and nothing he has done since arriving at OT has made me change my mind. I can accept that he's nice and neat with his passing but for me his contribution doesn't go much further than that.

I look at him and see a slower Ray Wilkins (if that isn't a dichotomy).
That's fair enough, at least you stand by that. £#%&!s me off seeing folk slate him due to the fee. Ridiculous. It has nothing to do with the player and should never be used as a means to have a pop at the lad. If anyone deserves criticism it's Gill. But we made enough approaches and got knocked back enough times over the Summer. Come the end I was surprised we signed a midfielder as good as Carrick because at one point it looked like we were getting no one.

It's also interesting to see folk so keen to sign Heargreaves for such an inflated fee but slate Carrick at the same time, highlighting the money spent. Since when did Hargreaves become a £20million+ player?

I know one of the lads from Spurs and I was saying how much they've been missing him. Can do the simple things but also start up attacks etc. Don't know what you've got until it's gone.....

Unread 26-11-2006, 01:41 PM
tatty

Our desperation to replace keane turned him into a £20m player not his talent.

Unread 26-11-2006, 01:42 PM
violater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish

. Since when did Hargreaves become a £20million+ player?

the same moment carrick became a £10m+ player

Unread 26-11-2006, 01:43 PM
KHITC.

Thumbs up

Quote:
That's fair enough, at least you stand by that. £#%&!s me off seeing folk slate him due to the fee. Ridiculous. It has nothing to do with the player and should never be used as a means to have a pop at the lad. If anyone deserves criticism it's Gill. But we made enough approaches and got knocked back enough times over the Summer. Come the end I was surprised we signed a midfielder as good as Carrick because at one point it looked like we were getting no one.

It's also interesting to see folk so keen to sign Heargreaves for such an inflated fee but slate Carrick at the same time, highlighting the money spent. Since when did Hargreaves become a £20million+ player?

I know one of the lads from Spurs and I was saying how much they've been missing him. Can do the simple things but also start up attacks etc. Don't know what you've got until it's gone.....

This lad knows the score

Top poster

Unread 26-11-2006, 01:45 PM
Whalefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by violater™
If you think Carrick is overpriced the same should apply to OH. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Unread 26-11-2006, 01:45 PM
Macca1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty
Our desperation to replace keane turned him into a £20m player not his talent.
For me hargreaves was never given a chance to shine until the world cup and has showed that if anything he will always try and give you everything he's got coupled with talent he is a ood player and a very good one for united to be trying to sign at any matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by violater™

Bit obssesed with carrick's fee arent you,Read whale's post you can turn a fee into a reason to have a pop at him,and we have been a far far far beter team this season there is no doubt about it,your trying to paint carrick as keane's succesor and he will never be that nor will he be a defensive midfielder

Unread 26-11-2006, 01:47 PM
armchair

I probably rated him more at west ham - then he seemed to settle into the comfort zone. I think Fergie has done a good job early season shaking him up and out of that zone. Everyone said the arsenal selection was mad but the boy wasn't playing well/wasn't fit and was still hiding in games. There's been a few guantlets laid down and so far he's just about pcked up everyone.

At least he's a proper footballer not just an athlete who can kick a ball.

It's a joy to watch Scholes help him get better too.

Unread 26-11-2006, 01:50 PM
Macca1990

Quote:

It's a joy to watch Scholes help him get better too.
I get the impression carrick was meant for scholes eventual replacement and there is no doubt scholes is the greatest he could learn off

Unread 26-11-2006, 01:50 PM
Whalefish

Quote:
At least he's a proper footballer not just an athlete who can kick a ball.
An Arsenal supporter said that to me the other week whilst watching the Blackburn game. Seemed a bit odd for him to say it at the time but I did agree.

However I do wish we had one of those athletes in midfield today. Essien, who is arguably one of the best midfielders in the Premiership, has been superb this season and will take some stopping. Wish we'd signed him when we had the chance. Another snub though.

Unread 26-11-2006, 01:52 PM
armchair

Quote:
An Arsenal supporter said that to me the other week whilst watching the Blackburn game. Seemed a bit odd for him to say it at the time but I did agree.

However I do wish we had one of those athletes in midfield today. Essien, who is arguably one of the best midfielders in the Premiership, has been superb this season and will take some stopping. Wish we'd signed him when we had the chance. Another snub though.
Essien is the one that hurts the most. The guy is a monster.

btw everyone get on here
http://www.utdforum.com/showthread.php?t=1544

Unread 26-11-2006, 01:52 PM
Macca1990

Quote:

If i remeber correctly we werent snubbed by Essien we were his prefferd destination but united simply could not afford the fee lyon were commanding at the present time I do beleive given the straight up choice of us or them he would have schose us everytime

Unread 26-11-2006, 01:54 PM
Whalefish

Sorry yes we couldn't afford him.

Seem to remember the Rooney deal having an affect on all Summer deals that year. Could be wrong though.

Did we not only buy Park and VDS that Summer?

Unread 26-11-2006, 01:55 PM
Macca1990

Quote:
Sorry yes we couldn't afford him.

Seem to remember the Rooney deal having an affect on all Summer deals that year. Could be wrong though.

Did we not only buy Park and VDS that Summer?
I'm can't remeber but they only cost a combined 6mil so it could well have been

Unread 26-11-2006, 02:43 PM
jem

carrick to win the game for united, you are destined for disappointment. he's not that kind of player.

he lets the others play (and no, not any @#%&! could do that) and he's been the hub of our wheel. really very effective at what he does. you could be forgiven for thinking that is £#%&! all, I suppose (and part of the reason he never looked all that good at west ham and spurs is that the players around him weren't as good as scholes et al).

I still don't think our midfield has the right balance and we will get caught defensively when chelsea break quickly - carrick certainly won't be sitting there doing the makalele job.

carrick looks good when the rest of the team looks good (and vice versa, maybe). that is usually if we are not put under too much pressure in midfield by being closed down quickly. not to say carrick and scholes can't pass around anyone, but they really shine when given a bit of space.

carrick is not a bryan robson type who will haul his team back into things by his own effort and brilliance. but if we lose and carrick looks poor, it will not be his fault or the fact that he did not step up to the plate, but rather the kind of game it was not being the kind in which he can operate effectively - he needs the rest of them to create space and make themselves availiable. if he has to win the ball and fight to retain it, he'll struggle (not that he can't tackle, but it's certainly not his game). if he gets the ball and a second of time, he will know where to find people without even looking - he's very aware. but I'm afraid the game will shape his performance, rather than his performance shaping the game.

Unread 26-11-2006, 02:48 PM
chorleyred

can someone not kick this pillock in his @#%&!

Unread 26-11-2006, 02:52 PM
violater

Quote:
Originally Posted by chorleyred
can someone not kick this pillock in his @#%&!
me?
why?

Unread 26-11-2006, 02:53 PM
tatty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
...but I'm afraid the game will shape his performance, rather than his performance shaping the game.
And there's the rub jem.

United need a fulcrum that can consistently drive our perfomances against the top sides and not just when we're in a position to dictate and bully.
Closed Thread