United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 30-07-2009, 09:49 AM
Rossi the Red

Default "Anderson must push on" says Fergie

Quote:
Sir Alex Ferguson hopes Anderson can go on a goal run after finally opening his Manchester United account with a superb free-kick on Wednesday.

Anderson's stunning strike against Boca Juniors in the Audi Cup in Munich could be just what he needs to begin scoring with regularity this season, according to United boss Sir Alex Ferguson.

It has taken the Brazil midfielder over two years to get on the scoresheet for United but Ferguson believes the floodgates may well now open.

"We hope this will spark him off and give him the incentive to be more positive with shooting for a start," said Ferguson.

"He has been with us for two years, as you know, and had many close opportunities with goalies saving or shots hitting the post.

"Hopefully his luck changes and he takes the incentive of scoring today to go on and score more for us."

Anderson curled in a fine left-footed free-kick from just outside the penalty area to give United the lead in a match they eventually won 2-1 with Antonio Valencia scoring on his debut.

In the past, Cristiano Ronaldo would probably have taken that set-piece and his sale to Real Madrid could be Anderson's chance to get more opportunities with a dead ball around the penalty area.

Just as long as Anderson is on the field, Ferguson admitted he is one of the options for free-kicks and penalties.

"I have been thinking about this for two weeks now and I have no definite answer to it," he said.

"I think it depends on what 11 players are playing in a particular game. I think we have two or three players who are natural to take responsibility.

"(Patrice) Evra, (Michael) Carrick, Anderson and (Ryan) Giggs are all natural choices to take penalty kicks, but when I choose my 11 on a particular day, then I will make my mind up on that day."

The chances are Anderson will be figuring more often this season following Ronaldo's departure.

Ferguson says he, as well as Nani, has the "right platform and right training environment" and that the 2009-10 season could be when they come of age.

"They are young and when you are young and have the ambition, then that can happen," said the Scot.

"I expect to see that improvement and have no fears about Anderson and Nani.

"They are young boys with young minds playing at the highest level of football."

United will be back in action in the Audi Cup final on Thursday when they face hosts Bayern Munich, who crushed AC Milan 4-1 in the other semi-final
http://www.teamtalk.com/football/sto...460976,00.html

Sounds like it could be now or never for them both.

Unread 30-07-2009, 10:03 AM
Baron

Evra on penalties?

Unread 30-07-2009, 10:46 AM
Rossi the Red

Not a mention of Wazza for penalties or Free Kicks

Unread 30-07-2009, 10:47 AM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi the Red
http://www.teamtalk.com/football/sto...460976,00.html

Sounds like it could be now or never for them both.
only if you pay attention to the silly teamtalk headline, which makes it sound like an ultimatum. what fergie is actually saying is how young they both are and putting their performances in that context. more a 'we know they're still developing' than 'they'd better get their fingers out'.

Unread 30-07-2009, 10:48 AM
MUFC One Love

Doesn't really say anything like 'now or never'.

Oh and Evra on penalties?!

Unread 09-01-2011, 07:55 PM
Mancunian Red

Default Re: "Anderson must push on" says Fergie

He has fantastic ability but he sems to struggle with consistence and moving up to the next level.

Unread 09-01-2011, 08:00 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancunian Red
He has fantastic ability but he sems to struggle with consistence and moving up to the next level.
£#%&!ing hell mate. He came on as a late sub and he's a 22 year old who's had a serious injury.

Unread 09-01-2011, 08:03 PM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancunian Red

£#%&! off back to Bluemoon you bitter @#%&!

Unread 09-01-2011, 08:06 PM
Gorilla Monsoon

I thought he was exactly what we needed when he came on. Took the ball from the back, charged forward and got attacking moves started.

Hopefully he was just rested today, seems like the player that needs to be playing week in week out to keep his confidence up.

Unread 09-01-2011, 08:10 PM
taff

been excellent lately, surprised he didn't start today. bit of rest won't do him any harm though.

Unread 09-01-2011, 08:13 PM
Cream

agreed, played really well lately.

his sub appearance was a bit shit today. No big deal.

Unread 09-01-2011, 08:24 PM
FannyBanter

fatty's been given more of a chance than many

Unread 10-01-2011, 12:43 AM
£#%&! KFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by FannyBanter
fatty's been given more of a chance than many

think you have been given more you £#%&!ing cockney tramp

how did the nose op go...you £#%&!ing #@&%!

Unread 10-01-2011, 12:44 AM
bobbledinho

Thumbs up Re: "Anderson must push on" says Fergie

He's looked much more of a threat in games this season.
Carries the ball forward at every opportunity, draws out the defenders and causes problems for the opposition.
Better to watch than going sideways in their half for most of a game.
The fact Fergy recently gave him a new 5 year deal hopefully shows he's turned a corner mentally and grown up a bit.
Haters gonna hate but I like the lad.

Unread 10-01-2011, 03:10 AM
Triggy

You £#%&!ing cretins, Anderson is the don.

Fergie's slowed him down so much, he'd be in the top 3 CM by now if CQ was still here.

CQ <<<<<

Unread 10-01-2011, 08:45 AM
carlosartorial

Definite upturn in form recently, though we'll overlook the utter dogshit shift he put in at West Brom. Thought he was average after coming on yesterday.

I'm still unconvinced.

Unread 10-01-2011, 09:08 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triggy
You £#%&!ing cretins, Anderson is the don.

Fergie's slowed him down so much, he'd be in the top 3 CM by now if CQ was still here.

CQ <<<<<
Tripe.

Unread 10-01-2011, 11:38 AM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla Monsoon
I thought he was exactly what we needed when he came on. Took the ball from the back, charged forward and got attacking moves started.

Hopefully he was just rested today, seems like the player that needs to be playing week in week out to keep his confidence up.
Agreed. He's started the last 7 games or so, so he was always due a rest. I thought we improved once he came on yesterday.

His improvement is obvious and long may it continue.

Unread 10-01-2011, 11:45 AM
red in cumbria

Yup - I've been a harsh critic in the past, but he is clearly getting there, even if he still has the occasional "off" game.

Unread 10-01-2011, 11:50 AM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Yup - I've been a harsh critic in the past, but he is clearly getting there, even if he still has the occasional "off" game.
Who doesn't though? Even Nani, one of best players this year and generally considered to have improved immeasurably, still has a lot of poor games. Yesterday being one of them. Arsenal another. Those are two big games in which he hasn't performed, but his overall consistency has improved so much and he's become so important that you're prepared to excuse it a little more. Anderson has done so well in the last six weeks that I think we can excuse a bad day at the office at West Brom and then a rest against Liverpool.
Closed Thread