United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 09-12-2020, 03:14 PM
Patty_b

On AWB in back 5, he's played in that position in a back 5 numerous times before and played fine.

He was £#%&!ing awful last night. But it's nothing to do with being in a back 5 as a wing back though, he was just utter shite all round. Playing in a back 5 should've allowed him the luxury of naturally defending a bit wider. The defense were playing as a flat back 5 when Leipzig were in possession in the first half, it's not like he was pushing forward and losing his man. It's just for some inexplicable reason he would not pick up Angelino at all. It was bizarre to watch. One of the worst performances I've ever seen from a player. And even when he got close to his man he did £#%&! all. Couldn't block a cross, couldn't tackle. Just all round useless all game. Even the third goal he had a chance to block the cross which he failed at miserably.

When he's good, he's a good defender. When he's OK he's instantly forgettable, and when he's bad he's £#%&!ing rank.

Unread 09-12-2020, 03:14 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
Totally right.

Anyone who cannot see AWB is not a £#%&!ing wing-back isn’t fit for purpose. What happened in the first half hour last night was a mirror image of the Brighton game except with opposition far superior to Neil £#%&!ing Maupay. That it happened once is bad enough, that it happened again in our most important match of the season is an utter, utter disgrace.

We need to decide if we’re United supporters or employee fan boys. Simply saying “£#%&! me” when someone raises the questions that are staring us all in the face suggests it’s the latter.
That was the moment I knew Ole was incompetent and wanted him gone. Rather than just suspecting.

When he sent Dalot on loan that meant AWB was our starting right back for most if not all of our games. Even though in 95% of games we'd expect to be on the front foot and require skill and creativity from our right flank.

Which meant Ole either didn't know he was shit, or did know but was going to ignore the fact he was shit because it was his signing and he spent £50m on a guy who can't play football.

Either way - horrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust
A minute into the game and this is the shape of our back 5 before their first goal
Does Wan-Bissaka want to hold Lindelof's hand

OK shambolic start but maybe we can learn our lesson and start to get our shape right and pay attention to their most dangerous attacker Angelino
Oh right that would be too much to ask....our shape for the 2nd goal

I'm not joking when I say a non-league side would be able to implement a 352 formation better than we did last night
Clearly no preparation work goes into our games because even though I don't watch any German football I've seen enough Leipzig goals from the last year on highlights to realise that Angelino's runs forward from left back are their biggest threat

All Ole has to say to Wan-Bissaka is "see that bald bertie #@&%!, that's your man so keep a close eye on him and don't allow him to get into space in our final third"
What the £#%&! does our coaching staff do between games

It's an absolute joke
I still cannot believe we started the game with a 7 man defence and were 2 down in 12 minutes.

Unread 09-12-2020, 03:22 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
On AWB in back 5, he's played in that position in a back 5 numerous times before and played fine.

He was £#%&!ing awful last night. But it's nothing to do with being in a back 5 as a wing back though, he was just utter shite all round. Playing in a back 5 should've allowed him the luxury of naturally defending a bit wider. The defense were playing as a flat back 5 when Leipzig were in possession in the first half, it's not like he was pushing forward and losing his man. It's just for some inexplicable reason he would not pick up Angelino at all. It was bizarre to watch. One of the worst performances I've ever seen from a player. And even when he got close to his man he did £#%&! all. Couldn't block a cross, couldn't tackle. Just all round useless all game. Even the third goal he had a chance to block the cross which he failed at miserably.

When he's good, he's a good defender. When he's OK he's instantly forgettable, and when he's bad he's £#%&!ing rank.
When did he play “fine” as a WB? What games, and what did he contribute going forward? When did he show defensive discipline tracking the wide man back and covering the right sided CB?

Seriously, I’d like to know what these games were, because aside from last ditch tackling, no argument there, what I see is one of the worst footballers I can remember in the shirt.

Unread 09-12-2020, 03:29 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
When did he play “fine” as a WB? What games, and what did he contribute going forward? When did he show defensive discipline tracking the wide man back and covering the right sided CB?

Seriously, I’d like to know what these games were, because aside from last ditch tackling, no argument there, what I see is one of the worst footballers I can remember in the shirt.
There must have been a time he swung a foot at the ball, and it connected and also went in vaguely the right direction.

The law of averages means there must have been.

If an infinite number of monkeys can type out the compete works of Shakespeare, an infinite number of Bissakas must have contributed to an attack.

Unread 09-12-2020, 03:34 PM
jem

given that wan b wanders into the central position and is £#%&! all use in attack, it wouldn't be too much to expect him to play as one of the three.

obvs, we should have kept dalot (and pereira), if we are going to play wing backs. or play mctog there. but whoever plays there needs to know that they are there to cover the winger. it's not even a complicated instruction.

Unread 09-12-2020, 03:35 PM
Patty_b

Quote:

Didn't we play 5 at the back against PSG away, and AWB started the game and played the full 90 minutes?

He doesn't contribute much going forward, but we've still won games against good opposition playing with 5 in the back with AWB on the right hand side. And his failings last night were defensively, not going forward.

He's put in his fair share of stinkers while playing in a back four as well, and it sounds like you'd agree with that considering he's one of the worst players you've ever seen in the shirt and we don't play as a back 5 that often.

I think he's capable of being a good player at times. Useless going forward, but when he's on it he can completely nullify one side of the oppositions attack which isn't a bad thing to have

But that said, I'm done with him after last night. Unfortunately at this point I don't expect him to put in his best performances every game, but to put in that sort of performance in a game as important than that, there's no excuse. It wasn't like he was getting outdone by a great player. He was just playing like he'd never stepped onto a football pitch before. Ighalo would have put in a more sensible defensive performance than AWB did last night.

Unread 09-12-2020, 03:37 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Jesus, look at the £#%&!ing space. It’s shambolic.

Either Ole can’t teach them how to defend, or he just £#%&!ed 130m on useless, unteachable players.

Pick your poison.
Or it's both

Unread 09-12-2020, 03:37 PM
AK14

Quote:
A minute into the game and this is the shape of our back 5 before their first goal
Does Wan-Bissaka want to hold Lindelof's hand

OK shambolic start but maybe we can learn our lesson and start to get our shape right and pay attention to their most dangerous attacker Angelino
Oh right that would be too much to ask....our shape for the 2nd goal

I'm not joking when I say a non-league side would be able to implement a 352 formation better than we did last night
Clearly no preparation work goes into our games because even though I don't watch any German football I've seen enough Leipzig goals from the last year on highlights to realise that Angelino's runs forward from left back are their biggest threat

All Ole has to say to Wan-Bissaka is "see that bald bertie #@&%!, that's your man so keep a close eye on him and don't allow him to get into space in our final third"
What the £#%&! does our coaching staff do between games

It's an absolute joke
Jesus look at those images ffs

Makes you question why it wasn’t changed before HT tbh, because as soon as we went with 4 at the back we settled and came into the game.

Unread 09-12-2020, 03:46 PM
ZiggyStardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14

Makes you question why it wasn’t changed before HT tbh, because as soon as we went with 4 at the back we settled and came into the game.
I don't think Ole is strong enough to embarrass a player by taking him off before half time

Unread 09-12-2020, 03:52 PM
utd99

Quote:
Didn't we play 5 at the back against PSG away, and AWB started the game and played the full 90 minutes?

He doesn't contribute much going forward, but we've still won games against good opposition playing with 5 in the back with AWB on the right hand side. And his failings last night were defensively, not going forward.

He's put in his fair share of stinkers while playing in a back four as well, and it sounds like you'd agree with that considering he's one of the worst players you've ever seen in the shirt and we don't play as a back 5 that often.

I think he's capable of being a good player at times. Useless going forward, but when he's on it he can completely nullify one side of the oppositions attack which isn't a bad thing to have

But that said, I'm done with him after last night. Unfortunately at this point I don't expect him to put in his best performances every game, but to put in that sort of performance in a game as important than that, there's no excuse. It wasn't like he was getting outdone by a great player. He was just playing like he'd never stepped onto a football pitch before. Ighalo would have put in a more sensible defensive performance than AWB did last night.
The two biggest advocates of 3-5-2 I’ve seen in football are Glenn Hoddle and Antonio Conte, but even they didn’t use it until they had wing-backs fit for task. It’s one thing to say we won a match here or there with three at the back, but quite another to say we won them because of the system.

Your wing-backs are supposed to be difference makers at both ends of the field otherwise there’s absolutely no point to them. Everyone with a pair of eyes knows that Wan-Bissaka is shit going forward, so in the event he’s also shit defensively the formation can actually cost you the match, ala last night.

The real question is why do jubs on an internet forum know this but our 9m per year manager doesn’t? He just sat there watching it all unfold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14

I’d actually love to sit down with WB and ask for clarity on what he thought he was accomplishing in that moment. I wonder if our management have, or whether they’re more interested in keeping his morale up?

Unread 09-12-2020, 04:15 PM
AK14

Quote:
I don't think Ole is strong enough to embarrass a player by taking him off before half time
Wouldn’t necessarily have to sub a player

Could have switched to a back four and pushed Telles to left mid and Greenwood to the right side giving us more protection out wide?

Unread 09-12-2020, 04:19 PM
Ethers

Quote:
I’d actually love to sit down with WB and ask for clarity on what he thought he was accomplishing in that moment.

Unread 09-12-2020, 04:23 PM
Patty_b

Quote:
The two biggest advocates of 3-5-2 I’ve seen in football are Glenn Hoddle and Antonio Conte, but even they didn’t use it until they had wing-backs fit for task. It’s one thing to say we won a match here or there with three at the back, but quite another to say we won them because of the system.

Your wing-backs are supposed to be difference makers at both ends of the field otherwise there’s absolutely no point to them. Everyone with a pair of eyes knows that Wan-Bissaka is shit going forward, so in the event he’s also shit defensively the formation can actually cost you the match, ala last night.

The real question is why do jubs on an internet forum know this but our 9m per year manager doesn’t? He just sat there watching it all unfold.
'Give me an example of when it worked. No not then because we don't win because of the system, but when we lose it is because of the system'

Goalposts moving all over the place. We also played with 5 at the back last season several times in wins.

Also, defenders having games as bad as AWB was last night will cost you whether you're playing in a back 5 or not.

Glenn Hoddle ffs

Unread 09-12-2020, 04:35 PM
utd99

Quote:
'Give me an example of when it worked. No not then because we don't win because of the system, but when we lose it is because of the system'

Goalposts moving all over the place. We also played with 5 at the back last season several times in wins.

Also, defenders having games as bad as AWB was last night will cost you whether you're playing in a back 5 or not.

Glenn Hoddle ffs
The point is mate, if you play 3-5-2 and employ wing-backs who have no idea what they’re supposed to be doing you spend the entire match - or at least until you ditch the formation - out of shape and unbalanced. You can play the system and still win for other reasons, individual brilliance etc, but when you can’t fall back on that the imbalance of 3-5-2 can cost you the game, like last night.

Quote:
Glenn Hoddle ffs
I have no idea what that means. Literally. It was about proponents of a set system, not quality of manager. Was Glenn Hoddle never a manager then?

Unread 09-12-2020, 04:38 PM
Patty_b

Quote:
The point is mate, if you play 3-5-2 and employ wing-backs who have no idea what they’re supposed to be doing you spend the entire match - or at least until you ditch the formation - out of shape and unbalanced. You can play the system and still win for other reasons, individual brilliance etc, but when you can’t fall back on that the imbalance of 3-5-2 can cost you the game, like last night.

I have no idea what that means. Literally. It was about proponents of a set system, not quality of manager. Was Glenn Hoddle never a manager then?
You would have a point if we hadn't already played the same formation several times before and won against better teams.

The Glenn Hoddle thing was just weird, like they're the only two £#%&!ers that have ever played with 5 at the back

Also on Glenn Hoddle, I'd love to know what sins he thinks AWB committed in a past life

Unread 09-12-2020, 04:43 PM
utd99

We’d have to work through the sins he committed last night first.

Unread 09-12-2020, 04:44 PM
silv

I wish Ole spent as much time on our shit defending as patty spends defending shit

Unread 09-12-2020, 05:36 PM
Palmer

Did ole throw TFM on to make wan bissaka look better?

When de gea floated him a pass and it went under his foot Bruno must have been tempted to walk off.

Unread 09-12-2020, 07:59 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
Morning! Everyone still pissed off? I know I am 👍
Yeah, last night was bad. How we react to it is probably going to determine our manager's (if any) future.

Unread 09-12-2020, 08:01 PM
d_knight

We are now officially a Europa League team