United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 16-06-2009, 08:47 AM
magic_cantona

Default Is the cash really there to spend? (a thread of doom)

Do you honestly believe that we'll spend 80m+ this summer, as hinted by the Glazers?

Immediately after the Ronaldo story broke, I felt confident that it would be the case.The past few days, however, I'm wondering if a 'we just couldn't get who we were after' line might be getting trotted out before the season starts.

Got a horrible feeling that 'the debt' is going to be prioritised ahead of our team.

Tell me I'm wrong.Please.

Unread 16-06-2009, 08:48 AM
Mr_Ed

Not a lot can happen till the money is in the bank.. sure negotiations are happening.

Unread 16-06-2009, 08:49 AM
koppas

You're wrong.

Fergie wouldn't have let him go if he wasn't assured he could get certain players in.

Unread 16-06-2009, 08:52 AM
Withers

They will definately spend it.

They need to keep the team as successful as possible until they sell. If the present economic climate continues they have no chance of refinancing before the debt becomes repayable in 2013. If it isn't refinanced they can't repay the amounts required out of United's profits year on year, so unless they are prepared to pump in approx £100 million a year of their own money then they will have to sell and I think they will.

To make a profit they need to sell a successful, glamorous United. Not one 3rd or 4th in the Premiership.

My take on it anyway.

Unread 16-06-2009, 08:54 AM
koppas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Withers
They will definately spend it. They need to keep the team as successful as possible until they sell. If the present economic climate continues they have no chance of refinancing before the debt becomes repayable in 2013. If it isn't refinanced they can't repay the amounts required out of United's profits year on year, so unless they are prepared to pump in approx £100 million a year of their own money then they will have to sell and I think they will. To make a profit they need to sell a successful, glamorous United. Not one 3rd or 4th in the Premiership. My take on it anyway.
Spot on.

Unread 16-06-2009, 08:58 AM
magic_cantona

Quote:
They will definately spend it.

They need to keep the team as successful as possible until they sell. If the present economic climate continues they have no chance of refinancing before the debt becomes repayable in 2013. If it isn't refinanced they can't repay the amounts required out of United's profits year on year, so unless they are prepared to pump in approx £100 million a year of their own money then they will have to sell and I think they will.

To make a profit they need to sell a successful, glamorous United. Not one 3rd or 4th in the Premiership.

My take on it anyway.
That makes me feel better.

Unread 16-06-2009, 09:00 AM
Withers

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona
That makes me feel better.
You're welcome magic.

Would you like me to pop down to the job centre later for you too?

Unread 16-06-2009, 09:03 AM
thatsfuctit

Real have apparently secured the funding

Unread 16-06-2009, 09:03 AM
LaPaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona
Do you honestly believe that we'll spend 80m+ this summer, as hinted by the Glazers?

Immediately after the Ronaldo story broke, I felt confident that it would be the case.The past few days, however, I'm wondering if a 'we just couldn't get who we were after' line might be getting trotted out before the season starts.

Got a horrible feeling that 'the debt' is going to be prioritised ahead of our team.

Tell me I'm wrong.Please.
I doubt Madrid will pay the £80m up front, that's accepting that the deal goes through, we will get no more than 25/% (£20m) this summer with the rest to follow over a max of 5 years (if Ronaldo's contract with Madrid is 6 years).

I don't believe that Ferguson will be given an amount to spend as he wishes, all incoming transfers will have to be approved by the Glazers.

So for example they may agree a £50m bid for Torres but if as likely Liverpool won't sell it doesn't mean he can use that money (or part of it) to buy Ito without Glazer giving the go ahead.

Unread 16-06-2009, 09:04 AM
BryanRobson'sLiver

Whilst the @#%&!s who own united are not stupid enough to sell the star playuer and not gove some cash to the manager I doubt that united will spend the 80 million that they got for ronnie let alone the hundred million the papers talk about.

Unread 16-06-2009, 09:34 AM
thatsfuctit

Madrid clear out - would you take many of these?

Unread 16-06-2009, 09:34 AM
koppas

Huntelaar at £15m would be a bargain.

Unread 16-06-2009, 10:01 AM
elephantstone

Quote:
You're welcome magic.

harsh

Unread 16-06-2009, 10:46 AM
Ginners

Thumbs up

Quote:
You're welcome magic.

nasty

Unread 16-06-2009, 10:46 AM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsfuctit
schneijder is a quality player who would suit the premier league and suit us. with robben he has pretty much carried real for a couple of years. would give us something a bit different, good goal threat, technically very solid and still quite young (25 iirc). i'd have him in a shot to play on the left, cutting in as rooney has been and letting rooney play through the middle.

and you can't have too many players called wesley in your squad tbh.

Unread 16-06-2009, 10:47 AM
koppas

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
schneijder is a quality player who would suit the premier league and suit us. with robben he has pretty much carried real for a couple of years. would give us something a bit different, good goal threat, technically very solid and still quite young (25 iirc). i'd have him in a shot to play on the left, cutting in as rooney has been and letting rooney play through the middle.

and you can't have too many players called wesley in your squad tbh.
Agree.

Was hoping we would get Sneijder last year when we was linked with him. Great player and would cost a damn lot cheaper than what Ribery would. Oh, and he is Dutch. I love a good Dutchman.

Unread 16-06-2009, 10:51 AM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by koppas
Agree
£#%&!

joke

Unread 16-06-2009, 10:52 AM
koppas

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
£#%&!

joke

Unread 16-06-2009, 11:02 AM
Tumescent Throb

Wesley Sneijder is so 2006 though

one of the few things Johnny Golden actually talked sense on

Unread 16-06-2009, 11:04 AM
Sandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by koppas
Huntelaar at £15m would be a bargain.
Why would you want him, he's far too slow. Pavel Pogrebnyak would be a much better choice if we are looking for a striker.
Closed Thread