United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 06-08-2008, 10:16 PM
Rossi the Red

Default I struggle to see the logic playing O'Shea centre mid in pre-season friendlies

He clearly isn't a midfielder is he? Will he really be ahead of any of the following:

Scholes
Carrick
Anderson
Hargo
Fletcher
Possebon (class )

I'd even have Giggsy ahead of him in there. Fergie should of just played him in defence where he can sometimes do a job for us...sometimes.

I know we need players like O'Shea who are happy to sit on the bench and don't rock the boat but FFS...playing him centre mid is a complete waste of time and it just gets his hopes up...bless him.

Unread 06-08-2008, 10:30 PM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi the Red
He clearly isn't a midfielder is he? Will he really be ahead of any of the following:

Scholes
Carrick
Anderson
Hargo
Fletcher
Possebon (class )

I'd even have Giggsy ahead of him in there. Fergie should of just played him in defence where he can sometimes do a job for us...sometimes.

I know we need players like O'Shea who are happy to sit on the bench and don't rock the boat but FFS...playing him centre mid is a complete waste of time and it just gets his hopes up...bless him.

Use your head and think for a second.

Hargreaves will not be playing, Carrick may not be fully fit, Anderson is away, Fletcher will be on the right and a Possebon-Scholes combination is not adequate for a Premiership opener.

Unread 06-08-2008, 10:31 PM
MUFC One Love

Carrick, I see what you're saying, but O' Shea is diabolical in midfield. He hasn't got any natural ability in the ball, and literally just makes up the numbers. I'd rather gamble and stick a kid in, tbh.

Unread 06-08-2008, 10:36 PM
Rossi the Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrick
Use your head and think for a second.

Hargreaves will not be playing, Carrick may not be fully fit, Anderson is away, Fletcher will be on the right and a Possebon-Scholes combination is not adequate for a Premiership opener.
Why not? We were better in the second half when those two played in the centre tonight.

Possebon clearly has much, much more ability on the ball than O'Shea.

Unread 06-08-2008, 10:39 PM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Why not? We were better in the second half when those two played in the centre tonight.

A friendly against Italian opponents is hardly the same as a Premiership opener, is it?

Unread 06-08-2008, 10:44 PM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
Carrick, I see what you're saying, but O' Shea is diabolical in midfield. He hasn't got any natural ability in the ball, and literally just makes up the numbers. I'd rather gamble and stick a kid in, tbh.

He can do a good job in there.

He's in their to defend; close the gaps off, win the ball and give it to Scholes.

With Fletcher and Martin on the wings, we can't afford any more gambling.

That midfield with Possebon in would be suicidal.

Unread 06-08-2008, 10:44 PM
Rossi the Red

Quote:
A friendly against Italian opponents is hardly the same as a Premiership opener, is it?
I know, and O'Shea struggled...worrying.

I know what you're saying mate, O'Shea has experience in terms of premiership football but i reckon we should just maybe try that Rodrigo sunday, see how he does. If he does well then it gives him confidence to go on.

Unread 06-08-2008, 10:46 PM
Rossi the Red

Quote:

He's in their to defend; close the gaps off, win the ball and give it to Scholes.

He was chasing shadows all the time he was on the pitch tonight. Aint got the awareness of a Carrick/Hargo in that position, which isn't a dig at the lad it's just he aint a midfielder.

Unread 06-08-2008, 10:47 PM
marlo stansfield

Quote:
He was chasing shadows all the time he was on the pitch tonight. Aint got the awareness of a Carrick/Hargo in that position, which isn't a dig at the lad it's just he aint a midfielder.
awareness ? hargreaves ?

Unread 06-08-2008, 10:48 PM
Rossi the Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo stansfield
awareness ? hargreaves ?
Yeah, he knows when and where to tackle the opposition.

Unread 06-08-2008, 10:49 PM
wonky no

o'shea did nothing wrong tonight. i was impressed with fletcher

Unread 06-08-2008, 10:49 PM
MUFC One Love

Quote:

I personally can't see Martin starting against Newcastle.

O' Shea is actually scared of the ball, that is very annoying.

Unread 06-08-2008, 10:51 PM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
He was chasing shadows all the time he was on the pitch tonight.

Which is why he needs games in there.

You play football yourself Rossi, it's almost impossible to change position completely and look comfortable straight away.

I know he is not a great midfielder and he never will be; but he will do a good job against a three-man Newcastle midfield.

Unread 06-08-2008, 10:52 PM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
I personally can't see Martin starting against Newcastle.

O' Shea is actually scared of the ball, that is very annoying.

Who would you put there instead?

Unread 06-08-2008, 10:57 PM
Rossi the Red

Quote:
Which is why he needs games in there.

You play football yourself Rossi, it's almost impossible to change position completely and look comfortable straight away.

I know he is not a great midfielder and he never will be; but he will do a good job against a three-man Newcastle midfield.
Yeah i agree, and i know it would be a gamble to play a midfielder who's never played a premiership game in the 1st game of the season.

I just reckon we should try Possebon against Pompey...see how he copes with the pace of the game.

Unread 06-08-2008, 10:58 PM
marlo stansfield

Quote:
Yeah, he knows when and where to tackle the opposition.
so why does he do so much running.

players like mascherano and makelele have awareness.

gatusso and hargreaves dont have much at all.

Unread 06-08-2008, 10:59 PM
fix up look SHARPE

Quote:
Who would you put there instead?
........giggs?

Unread 06-08-2008, 11:02 PM
BarryX

Quote:
The lads had a some reserve games and supposedly shone out in them (I only saw a few highlights but he looked a different class). Not like he's completely new to the English game and opponents.

Unread 06-08-2008, 11:02 PM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fix up look SHARPE
........giggs?

He has played up front in every pre-season game so far.

Unread 06-08-2008, 11:03 PM
Rhodzy

Quote:
He has played up front in every pre-season game so far.
And he's been excellent.
Closed Thread