United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 26-04-2011, 01:09 PM
Tronics

Default Re: Big game tonight

Praying for a win of some sort

Will be a tough game regardless of their league position IMO, theyll def be playing out if their skins againt us.

Unread 26-04-2011, 01:11 PM
andyroo

Any other season I'd be in bits worrying, but I'm shattered enough worrying about the league. This is a bit of an adventure really, once we knocked Chelsea out we'd done everything I wanted us to do. Final in Wembley would be nice but the league is everything.

Unread 26-04-2011, 01:17 PM
MJ Ramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
Final in Wembley would be nice but the league is everything.
I disagree.

Yes the League is important..& getting to 19 would be a fantastic achievement, but the European Cup is never just a 'bonus' - You only have to watch the programme that was on BBC2 the other night to appreciate how important the European Cup is to Manchester United.
This is a £#%&!ing wonderful opportunity to reach another Final.
The fact we are such overwhelming favourites makes me all the more nervous.

At this stage of the Season (for me anyway) the European Cup is just as important as number19.
At the very least we must win the Title & play in the Final down at Wembley.
Anything less would be a huge disappointment.

Unread 26-04-2011, 01:18 PM
Kent Brockman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dueling Banjos
It's kind of crept up on me this one. I think with the focus being on getting to 19 and that £#%&!-fest against the bitters the other week this was put on the back-burner a little. Then we had this long weekend and all of a sudden I awake this morning thinking it's the semi-final of the Champions League tonight and my beer fridge needs re-stocking!

Have no fear, this has been done.
You can get a bit complacent supporting United,expecially at this time of the year when every game's a big game.

Unread 26-04-2011, 01:19 PM
Coracao

I'd be disappointed if we don't win tonight tbh.

This is one of the poorest sides i've ever seen get to this stage.

Unread 26-04-2011, 01:26 PM
no fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
I'd be disappointed if we don't win tonight tbh.

This is one of the poorest sides i've ever seen get to this stage.
when did you become a shalke fan ?

Unread 26-04-2011, 01:28 PM
Fountz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone
I disagree.

Yes the League is important..& getting to 19 would be a fantastic achievement, but the European Cup is never just a 'bonus' - You only have to watch the programme that was on BBC2 the other night to appreciate how important the European Cup is to Manchester United.

At this stage of the Season (for me anyway) the European Cup is just as important as number19.
concur

Unread 26-04-2011, 01:40 PM
Jack Duckworth

i watch quite a bit of the bundesliga and schalke are no great shakes.

it's about time some of you lot had a bit of confidence in us. the way some of you talk, you'd think we were everton or something.

we'll shit 'em

Unread 26-04-2011, 02:06 PM
Tumescent Throb

Schalke could either rip us open with rapido-ness and uberfunction. or fold under our savvy superiority. Everything depends on how cautious Ferguson is and whether and how many of the players turn up. I have nightmare visions of Rooney trying to be the superstar playmaker and constantly tripping over his own feet again. The again last night I dreamt there was a tidal wave in Rhyl and my mum was screaming at me to £#%&! the Arnold Palmer off and run for it...

Unread 26-04-2011, 02:09 PM
beansy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
Schalke could either rip us open with rapido-ness and uberfunction.or fold under our savvy superiority
£#%&!ing hell, I think you've just summed up why I never read football posts

Awesome. Simply awesome.

Unread 26-04-2011, 02:36 PM
helmet

Thumbs up Re: Big game tonight

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone
I disagree.

Agreed. Also. losing to the Berties could actually be a blessing in disguise if we can get to Wembley for the real cup final. No pressure of going for an unprecendented second treble, clear underdogs, but playing on home soil.

In true scouse-style, but say it quietly, it's on...

Unread 26-04-2011, 02:50 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by helmet
Agreed. Also. losing to the Berties could actually be a blessing in disguise if we can get to Wembley for the real cup final. No pressure of going for an unprecendented second treble, clear underdogs, but playing on home soil.

In true scouse-style, but say it quietly, it's on...
fair point about no treble %@#$&!s, but i don't see how united would be clear underdogs at all. barca would be favourites with the pundits, i accept that. but real wouldn't necessarily be. and real have shown pretty clearly that barca can be got at, and can be contained as well. even arsenal showed that barca are still weak to the counter-attack, which is exactly how united created all those chances against them in the semi-final of 2008. real madrid's strength is much more of a worry to me tbh cus it goes directly to united's weakness, namely power. against that though Ferguson has good experience of direct competition with mourinho.

Ferguson has absolutely no experience of this schalke team or their manager's tactics though, that's a much bigger worry than the final imo.

Unread 26-04-2011, 03:00 PM
Big Norm

Quote:
fair point about no treble %@#$&!s, but i don't see how united would be clear underdogs at all. barca would be favourites with the pundits, i accept that. but real wouldn't necessarily be. and real have shown pretty clearly that barca can be got at, and can be contained as well. even arsenal showed that barca are still weak to the counter-attack, which is exactly how united created all those chances against them in the semi-final of 2008. real madrid's strength is much more of a worry to me tbh cus it goes directly to united's weakness, namely power. against that though Ferguson has good experience of direct competition with mourinho.

Ferguson has absolutely no experience of this schalke team or their manager's tactics though, that's a much bigger worry than the final imo.
And vice versa.

Our away form in Europe this season has been top drawer (unlike the league).

Unread 26-04-2011, 03:06 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Norm
And vice versa.

Our away form in Europe this season has been top drawer (unlike the league).
sort of, but safe to say they know a lot more about us than we do about them. don't forget their manager has only been with them for a few weeks. but for late late goals united'd've had a couple of 0-0s in the group bit as well.

Unread 26-04-2011, 03:15 PM
wee man

We'll win both games.

Unread 26-04-2011, 03:17 PM
Sloane

Quote:
sort of, but safe to say they know a lot more about us than we do about them. don't forget their manager has only been with them for a few weeks. but for late late goals united'd've had a couple of 0-0s in the group bit as well.
fergies been to watch. so we know more about them than we did about bebe. and that turned out great!

Unread 26-04-2011, 03:20 PM
naes_sean

for some reason, I'm not really all that nervous about tonight's match. It will probably end 1-1. Be a decent result for us bringing them back to Old Trafford. Other reason, I'm mainly concerned about winning the title this year.
Oh what a great position to be in

Unread 26-04-2011, 03:22 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloane
fergies been to watch. so we know more about them than we did about bebe. and that turned out great!
bebe can be a monster for us i reckon. i'm working on my angles for next season already.

Unread 26-04-2011, 03:27 PM
florentino ariza

i'm nervous about tonight

domestically we have been poor away from home, having said that our best away was probably down at chelsea in the quarters

we have definitely been looking tired and legs have gone in the 2nd half in our last few games

if gibson is even on the bench we are jinxed

Unread 26-04-2011, 03:29 PM
Sloane

Quote:
bebe can be a monster for us i reckon. i'm working on my angles for next season already.
hes already unsettled, its always been his dream to model for Jean Paul Gaultier

Closed Thread