United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 30-06-2010, 09:06 PM
MJ Ramone

Default Feels Strange..

...without a game on.
Every night for the last 3 weeks (or thereabouts) there's been a game on.

Having said that, I haven't warmed to this years festivities. England's embarrassing capitulation, the shambles of France & Italy, Brazil having no 'magic-dust' or 'box-office' player, Argentina full of bitter ex-Reds (although I love Maradona & would like to see him win it) Spain's diving & play-acting..etc

Just watched Corrie for the first time in a while though, since when was the lovely Tina seeing that Graeme?

Unread 30-06-2010, 09:14 PM
originalhogg

Default Re: Feels Strange..

Im glad as well MJ, still waiting for that 4-3 match every world cup promises or has, just thinking when the last world cup i actually enjoyed.....has to be 1986 and 1990, maybe more for nostalgic values....

Unread 30-06-2010, 09:25 PM
MJ Ramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhogg
Im glad as well MJ, still waiting for that 4-3 match every world cup promises or has, just thinking when the last world cup i actually enjoyed.....has to be 1986 and 1990, maybe more for nostalgic values....
86 is probably the best World Cup ever (older folks would claim 1970)

I haven't seen anything this year that I'll still remember in 20 years time (apart from how shite England were)

Unread 30-06-2010, 09:26 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhogg
1998 wasn't bad at all, and I don't think 2002 was anywhere near as poor as some make out.

1990, however, was almost unrelieved turd. Too many in this country, I fear, say it was "good" because England had what remains their best performance since winning it - that was in significant part, however, because the overall standard was so low

And the actual final surely has to rate as the very worst ever

Unread 30-06-2010, 10:06 PM
Zorg

1990's BBC theme music made up for a lot of it.

1994 was cracking, I loved it.

Unread 30-06-2010, 10:21 PM
Time For Heroes

82 had to be the best ever. I was 12 at the time, would get home from school and could watch the evening games before bed...Brazil with Zico, Socrates and Falcao, a great French team led by Platini who were robbed by Schumacher's assault on Battiston in a 3-3 semi, Robbo scoring the fastest goal and Keegan getting blamed for us going out without defeat, Tardelli's celebration in the final after scoring against the cheating germans, Germany and Austria cheating their way to make sure they both went through, Germany had to win 1-0, scored early, 1 shot on target all game to put the Algerians out, the Kuwaiti prince coming on the pitch to tell the players to come off after France scored a third goal and eventually only continuing the game after the ref disallowed it

Other than that I don't remember much about it.

Oh and a young Maradona being sent off after being kicked out of the game against Italy I think.

Unread 30-06-2010, 10:24 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone
86 is probably the best World Cup ever (older folks would claim 1970)

I haven't seen anything this year that I'll still remember in 20 years time (apart from how shite England were)
You're right. Italia 90 had a HUGE impact on me and my life. I was only 5 during mexico 86 so i don't really remember it.

But italia 90 straight after seeing united win their first trophy under fergie took my 'football nerdery' to another level.

Unread 30-06-2010, 10:25 PM
Sloane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
You're right. Italia 90 had a HUGE impact on me and my life. I was only 5 during mexico 86 so i don't really remember it.

But italia 90 straight after seeing united win their first trophy under fergie took my 'football nerdery' to another level.
didnt realise you liked football tbh

Unread 30-06-2010, 10:27 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloane
didnt realise you liked football tbh
Why didn't you accept my game invite on mw2, you rude @#%&!.

Unread 30-06-2010, 10:28 PM
Sloane

Quote:
Why didn't you accept my game invite on mw2, you rude @#%&!.
wasnt me on it, bloody nephew taking over.

Unread 30-06-2010, 10:29 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloane
wasnt me on it, bloody nephew taking over.
well tell him he's a rude @#%&!.

Unread 30-06-2010, 10:30 PM
red in cumbria

Yeah, 1982 was ace - even Scotland played pretty decent and were (for once) a bit unlucky imo

Indeed Zorg, 1994 was another good 'un - most teams at least trying to play football, in marked contrast to far too many four years earlier

It gets knocked down for the final, but - despite finishing goalless - it was a damn sight less bad than the 1990 abomination.

Unread 30-06-2010, 10:31 PM
Sloane

Quote:
well tell him he's a rude @#%&!.
will do but hes shit you wouldnt want him on your team

Unread 30-06-2010, 10:41 PM
The Watcher

Exclamation Re: Feels Strange..

Miserable bastards.

I've loved it tbh...just like every other World Cup. The likes of Chille, Mexico and Paraguay have been excellent. The young German side's been a bit of a revelation; some of those lads have a great future in front of them. Maradona actually turning out to be a decent coach has been a welcome surprise. And England being humiliated was a good laugh too

Holland and Brazil have been a disappointment - I really don't like the way they've discarded their own illustrious histories for results.

Finally, it's been great watching two or three games a day and just appreciating the football, with little riding on the result. Following United at times can be almost unbearable

I just £#%&!ing love football really. Messi

Unread 30-06-2010, 10:51 PM
MJ Ramone

Watcher, don't get me wrong...I've watched just about every game & every highlights package...& listened to 5Live phone-ins etc..

...but I can't think of a 'moment' that will live on long in the memory. Nothing iconic..not a great goal that you'll Youtube the £#%&! out of..
Hopefully the QFs & onwards will provide something.

Unread 30-06-2010, 11:05 PM
The Watcher

Thumbs up Re: Feels Strange..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone
...but I can't think of a 'moment' that will live on long in the memory. Nothing iconic..not a great goal that you'll Youtube the £#%&! out of..Hopefully the QFs & onwards will provide something.
Messi

Unread 30-06-2010, 11:12 PM
Grimson

Thumbs up Re: Feels Strange..

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
Miserable bastards.

I've loved it tbh...just like every other World Cup. The likes of Chille, Mexico and Paraguay have been excellent. The young German side's been a bit of a revelation; some of those lads have a great future in front of them. Maradona actually turning out to be a decent coach has been a welcome surprise. And England being humiliated was a good laugh too

Holland and Brazil have been a disappointment - I really don't like the way they've discarded their own illustrious histories for results.

Finally, it's been great watching two or three games a day and just appreciating the football, with little riding on the result. Following United at times can be almost unbearable

I just £#%&!ing love football really. Messi
This.

Oh, and I've enjoyed the curse of the ridiculous Nike 'Write the Future' ad.

Cannavaro, Ribery, Rooney (), Ronaldinho not even being in the Brazil squad, Drogba, Ronaldo (that statue will have to wait), and even Roger Federer paid a price for being in it.

Unread 30-06-2010, 11:16 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria

Indeed Zorg, 1994 was another good 'un - most teams at least trying to play football, in marked contrast to far too many four years earlier

It gets knocked down for the final, but - despite finishing goalless - it was a damn sight less bad than the 1990 abomination.
Yeah, there were some great moments apart from the final: Hagi's goal, Tubby Brolin's training-ground free-kick goal, Klinsmann's, that Saudi Arabia goal where he ran the length of the pitch, Diana Ross of course, Letchov's winner against Germany, and Romania vs. Argentina was one of the best matches I've ever seen.

A mate of mine once went on about how shit that WC was 'because England weren't there'. Er, ok.

Unread 30-06-2010, 11:23 PM
dunk

This is the only World Cup I haven't really enjoyed, but I expected it to be shit, really.

Football is a bit shit atm tbh.

2006 was a good WC, doesn't seem to be getting many mentions, thoroughly enjoyed that one.

Unread 30-06-2010, 11:31 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
This.

Oh, and I've enjoyed the curse of the ridiculous Nike 'Write the Future' ad.

Cannavaro, Ribery, Rooney (), Ronaldinho not even being in the Brazil squad, Drogba, Ronaldo (that statue will have to wait), and even Roger Federer paid a price for being in it.
Poor Federer. I wonder what will happen to Kobe?

Loving the South American sides doing so well, especially as the weather was supposed to suit the Europeans

Been better then 2002. The best games are still to come...
Closed Thread