United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 19-02-2018, 05:30 AM
armchair

how long before there's 8-10 minutes waiting for a decision, game restarts and a player who has cooled down pulls a hamstring sprinting?

Unread 19-02-2018, 12:55 PM
utd99

Simply put, to the human eye the act of passing a ball is instant - however to video it’s made up of numerous frames. In this instance over the duration of that one ‘instant’ act Mata was both onside and offside depending on which still you use. For that reason I’m categorically OUT!

Plus I hate change. £#%&! off Wenger.

Unread 19-02-2018, 01:00 PM
ScholesScoresGoals2

VAR is not rocket science

Managers get 1 appeal each per half
If no decision is made within 20 seconds the ruling on the field stands
If the appeal is successful they get it back

1 minute extra per half to be added, not sure what the issue is tbh

Unread 19-02-2018, 01:09 PM
Ethers

20 seconds?!

Unread 19-02-2018, 01:12 PM
ScholesScoresGoals2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
20 seconds?!
Too long, too short?

Unread 19-02-2018, 01:13 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScholesScoresGoals2
VAR is not rocket science

Managers get 1 appeal each per half
If no decision is made within 20 seconds the ruling on the field stands
If the appeal is successful they get it back

1 minute extra per half to be added, not sure what the issue is tbh
The issue is it’s not needed or wanted....

Goal line tech yes, VAR no....

Unread 19-02-2018, 01:14 PM
ScholesScoresGoals2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster

Its not wanted as its used so poorly.

I think it would be a good addition if done correctly but we are way off that being the case

Unread 19-02-2018, 01:19 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Its not wanted as its used so poorly.

I think it would be a good addition if done correctly but we are way off that being the case
Nope, for one simple reason, wum lines aside....

You’re taking a real time sport played in real time and asking another persons opinion on a freeze frame or slo mo replay....

How many times have you watched an incident with friends and you still disagree, we do it in here all the time...

Why cloud a century old game with even more tech ?

It missed smalling a handball, the offside was on.

It fundamentally doesn’t work

Unread 19-02-2018, 01:26 PM
TheFatGoth

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co...ology-14306482

United have recieved an apology apparently.

Unread 19-02-2018, 01:39 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Too long, too short?
Too short.

I think if you’re going to do it (would rather they didn’t) you might as well take the time to make the correct decision. 20 seconds would lead to rushed decisions imo

Unread 19-02-2018, 01:44 PM
Zorg

Just bin it, it's rubbish.

Unread 19-02-2018, 01:48 PM
Sapien

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
In that picture he is offside. It’s not the right picture though. If it’s going to get this technical then the instant the ball actually leaves Young’s foot is the right frame, and that’s further on. At that point Mata is clearly onside because he wasn’t moving but the first defender was.
No change there then etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
Simply put, to the human eye the act of passing a ball is instant - however to video it’s made up of numerous frames. In this instance over the duration of that one ‘instant’ act Mata was both onside and offside depending on which still you use. For that reason I’m categorically OUT!
Schrodinger's offside.

Unread 19-02-2018, 03:18 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapien
No change there then etc

Schrodinger's offside.
Quantum reds.

Unread 19-02-2018, 03:23 PM
LFOD

VAR is just another brick in the wall.

Unread 19-02-2018, 03:32 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster

This.

None of the officials asked to see Mata's goal at the weekend. Nobody really objected. Nobody thought he was off when they saw the replay. It's not needed for calls like that.

It's not like tennis where it's all lines (straight ones) and it's very black and white.... very few calls are completely objective.

Part of the game is getting £#%&!ed by decisions.

Unread 19-02-2018, 03:46 PM
TheFatGoth

What I don't understand is when Liverpool played WBA the other week, I'm sure it was the ref who went and watched a little screen pitchside and made the decision, yet for our game on saturday it was all decided in some underground FA bunker....or have I got that wrong?

Unread 19-02-2018, 10:20 PM
sa7

Quote:
Hawk-Eye insists a technical error was responsible for the fact the lines shown during the latest high-profile Video Assistant Referee controversy were not straight.

The company also remains adamant that the match officials were given straight lines to make their decisions with - and not the ones that were shown to those watching on television that were anything but.
Absolute bullshit

Unread 20-02-2018, 12:37 AM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
I do have quite a cynical theory, too. How long after VAR is potentially part of the game did some of those stuffed shirts envisage taking brief ad breaks? You have the audience's full attention and they won't be going anywhere.
I’ll be going somewhere if that ever happens.

Quote:
Too short.

I think if you’re going to do it (would rather they didn’t) you might as well take the time to make the correct decision. 20 seconds would lead to rushed decisions imo
If it can’t be decided within 20 seconds then the ref’s decision isn’t clearly a wrong one and should stand. Personally I think 20 seconds is too long. How many seconds would it take to decide maradonnas hand ball goal against England was a wrong decision?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Redface
This.

None of the officials asked to see Mata's goal at the weekend. Nobody really objected. Nobody thought he was off when they saw the replay. It's not needed for calls like that.

It's not like tennis where it's all lines (straight ones) and it's very black and white.... very few calls are completely objective.

Part of the game is getting £#%&!ed by decisions.
A ref getting a decision wrong on an offside that’s either an inch onside or offside doesn’t matter at all as they’ll average out. It’s the hugely bad injustice type decisions that matter and they shouldn’t take more than 10 seconds to reviewand make a decision. .

Unread 20-02-2018, 12:45 AM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy Dodger
I’ll be going somewhere if that ever happens.

If it can’t be decided within 20 seconds then the ref’s decision isn’t clearly a wrong one and should stand. Personally I think 20 seconds is too long. How many seconds would it take to decide maradonnas hand ball goal against England was a wrong decision?

A ref getting a decision wrong on an offside that’s either an inch onside or offside doesn’t matter at all as they’ll average out. It’s the hugely bad injustice type decisions that matter and they shouldn’t take more than 10 seconds to reviewand make a decision. .
Well that’s %@#$&!s tbf, 20 seconds wouldn’t give you long enough to even look at all the possible camera angles of an incident.

Unread 20-02-2018, 12:47 AM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Well that’s %@#$&!s tbf, 20 seconds wouldn’t give you long enough to even look at all the possible camera angles of an incident.
How many angles do you need to spot a clearly wrong decision? How many did it need to see maradonna handballed it? How many to see a player is half a yard offside?

Looking at all camera angles is another argument to sack it off anyway.
Closed Thread