United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 18-02-2018, 03:20 PM
utd99

Smalling definitely is good enough. Good enough to be 5th choice.

Unread 18-02-2018, 03:38 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
Smalling definitely is good enough. Good enough to be 5th choice.
Only because Tuanzebe is out on loan tbh.

For me Jones gets a bit of a raw deal. Yes there's a £#%&! up in him but he's a decent player and without the injuries maybe better.

Smalling is just shite.

Unread 18-02-2018, 04:41 PM
Clarkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Only because Tuanzebe is out on loan tbh.

For me Jones gets a bit of a raw deal. Yes there's a f*** up in him but he's a decent player and without the injuries maybe better.

Smalling is just shite.
Story is Mourinho lost it with Jones and not Smalling

Unread 18-02-2018, 04:47 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkie
Maybe feels Jones isn't putting enough effort in. For all we know Smalling could be giving 150% in training and every game.

Unread 18-02-2018, 04:49 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
The bigger talent. People slag Jones but Fergie, Capello, LvG all rated him highly. He has got it; no problem with him getting a grilling. If Smalling is considered a bit soft to get torn down then it only backs up the notion he's a lost cause.

Unread 18-02-2018, 04:52 PM
Tiberian

Mou is probably asking why Jones played Smalling into trouble against Newcastle and put him into a position where he had to attempt to dribble out.

Anyway how does Mourinho fit Pogba and Sanchez into the same team without it causing serious defensive problem?. Surely can not play them both on the left side of the team together without leaving that area as an obvious weakness to attack?

Pogba wants to play in a midfield 3, on the left, but if he does that with Sanchez ahead of him then it would force him into shifting across to cover the flank when Sanchez goes chasing the ball. Does Mou shift Sanchez to the right, potentially opening both wings for the opposition?

Unread 18-02-2018, 05:30 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
Mou is probably asking why Jones played Smalling into trouble against Newcastle and put him into a position where he had to attempt to dribble out.

Anyway how does Mourinho fit Pogba and Sanchez into the same team without it causing serious defensive problem?. Surely can not play them both on the left side of the team together without leaving that area as an obvious weakness to attack?

Pogba wants to play in a midfield 3, on the left, but if he does that with Sanchez ahead of him then it would force him into shifting across to cover the flank when Sanchez goes chasing the ball. Does Mou shift Sanchez to the right, potentially opening both wings for the opposition?
I think The Scottish Player could start at Sevilla. Pogba coming in and quite a compact three man midfield, with Sanchez left and Lingard right. Line probably set quite deep and just looking to spring the break. Overall though it does feel a team put together without great foresight.

Unread 18-02-2018, 05:38 PM
taff

a sparkling diamond is the only way.

-----------------------------Matic-----------------------------

---------------Herrera--------------Pogba-----------------

----------------------------Sanchez----------------------------

other personnel open to debate obviously. sanchez in a free role, two up front. full backs pushing on. you're welcome.

Unread 18-02-2018, 05:41 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
I think The Scottish Player could start at Sevilla. Pogba coming in and quite a compact three man midfield, with Sanchez left and Lingard right. Line probably set quite deep and just looking to spring the break. Overall though it does feel a team put together without great foresight.
Could see that, pure workhorse to make up for the problems of others. Lingard on the right is not ideal use of him, that lack of foresight you note, ended up with multiple options for the left but no obvious first choice for the right.

Looked at the La Liga table this morning and Sevilla despite sitting in 5th have a terrible defensive record and a negative goal difference. Have not watched them but looking at the numbers and their squad it is not a tie Utd should be having many problems with.

Unread 18-02-2018, 05:45 PM
waynes ear's

Quote:
Originally Posted by taff
a sparkling diamond is the only way.

-----------------------------Matic-----------------------------

---------------Herrera--------------Pogba-----------------

----------------------------Sanchez----------------------------

other personnel open to debate obviously. sanchez in a free role, two up front. full backs pushing on. you're welcome.
Sparkling diamond ruined by that pointing turd Herrera

Unread 18-02-2018, 06:12 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
Could see that, pure workhorse to make up for the problems of others. Lingard on the right is not ideal use of him, that lack of foresight you note, ended up with multiple options for the left but no obvious first choice for the right.

Looked at the La Liga table this morning and Sevilla despite sitting in 5th have a terrible defensive record and a negative goal difference. Have not watched them but looking at the numbers and their squad it is not a tie Utd should be having many problems with.
Yep, they changed manager halfway through the season. Previously it was Berizzo, who was in charge of Celta when we played them last season. Bit of a Bielsa disciple and they shipped a lot of goals. Montella took over and has made them more controlled, albeit he's had a couple of shockers where they've conceded five, the most recent a 5-1 loss at Girona a couple of weeks ago.

So definitely defensively vulnerable still, but recently beat Atletico over two legs in the cup which warrants some respect.

Unread 18-02-2018, 08:02 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Yep, they changed manager halfway through the season. Previously it was Berizzo, who was in charge of Celta when we played them last season. Bit of a Bielsa disciple and they shipped a lot of goals. Montella took over and has made them more controlled, albeit he's had a couple of shockers where they've conceded five, the most recent a 5-1 loss at Girona a couple of weeks ago.

So definitely defensively vulnerable still, but recently beat Atletico over two legs in the cup which warrants some respect.
The impression being that they're pretty good in attack but suspect defensively. So they do better against predominantly defensive sides who don't expose their defensive frailties as much.

Uh-oh.

Unread 18-02-2018, 09:46 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
The impression being that they're pretty good in attack but suspect defensively. So they do better against predominantly defensive sides who don't expose their defensive frailties as much.

Uh-oh.

That's actually true. We will let guys like Banega and Sarabia play. They will be terrified of us on the break though.

Unread 19-02-2018, 12:04 AM
Part 36 Offer

Pleased for Mou tbh. Was a must win. Need a big week; need 3 wins imo.

If we can do that, i can see a positive end to the season.

Unread 19-02-2018, 11:48 AM
RemisMoses

Anybody notice the way Jose got Lindelof to start covering on the left rather than ask Sanchez to track back? I am sure Anthony Martial did. Jose loves his favourites, you cant blame the kid for being pissed off imo. If Martial would of had the first half that Sanchez did he would have been dragged off without question.

I hope he plays on Wednesday or I fear for his future at United while Jose is in charge.

Unread 19-02-2018, 11:52 AM
Clarkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemisMoses
Anybody notice the way Jose got Lindelof to start covering on the left rather than ask Sanchez to track back? I am sure Anthony Martial did. Jose loves his favourites, you cant blame the kid for being pissed off imo. If Martial would of had the first half that Sanchez did he would have been dragged off without question.

I hope he plays on Wednesday or I fear for his future at United while Jose is in charge.
Martial has been at his most dangerous a lot of times this season, when coming on in the 2nd half of matches.

I don't have a point btw, just saying

Unread 19-02-2018, 11:54 AM
dragflick

Quote:
Martial has been at his most dangerous a lot of times this season, when coming on in the 2nd half of matches.

Did look good when he came on on Saturday- needs to be on the left. Play Sanchez central so he can play through balls through to Big Rom like he did for his second goal. £#%&! knows who on the right tho', probably Mata at the minute...

Unread 19-02-2018, 11:56 AM
RemisMoses

Quote:

Its not being on the bench, its the way Sanchez is given free reign on the left. Martial has worked his balls off to cover and do what the manager wants. Even a gnarly old pro would be pissed off with his predicament imo.

I am sure Jose and his lovers will just say 'he needs to man up' but nobody could take such partisan management with a pinch of salt.

Just something I noticed, I love tony m and I don't think hes getting treated right at all.