Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 29-10-2009, 02:49 PM
antonin jablonsky

Default Re: andy cole on danny welbeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
Exciting times for this top boy.
From that article not sure he sounds enough of a #@&%! to be genuinely considered a "top boy".

Unread 29-10-2009, 02:59 PM
antonin jablonsky

Any news on his injury btw?

Unread 29-10-2009, 03:25 PM
celtbion

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
the twins (one twin, tbh) have got games because injuries opened the door. now that the crisis has passed rafael isn't getting so many chances. shame, imo, but i don't think fergie has been inconsistent here. macheda got chances last season when we had injuries up front, for example.
So, you're saying that even the defenders I cited that have got chances only got them because of injuries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
yeah, but mistakes get punished more harshly. and a lot of defending is experience and strength.

i think charlton's old saying is on the money. if you're good enough...

fergie knows what he's doing. there isn't another manager who comes close in terms of bringing through young talent.
Perhaps in the past, I'm not so sure now.

My concern is that, for reasons of board pressure and his own legacy, Fergie has slightly shifted his emphasis from the promotion of youth to looking for a winning blend in the here and now. Nothing too dramatic, just perhaps a few old stagers kept heavily involved longer than he would have done previously and youngsters not getting as many appearances.

Unread 29-10-2009, 05:36 PM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by celtbion
So, you're saying that even the defenders I cited that have got chances only got them because of injuries?

no

Perhaps in the past, I'm not so sure now.

My concern is that, for reasons of board pressure and his own legacy, Fergie has slightly shifted his emphasis from the promotion of youth to looking for a winning blend in the here and now. Nothing too dramatic, just perhaps a few old stagers kept heavily involved longer than he would have done previously and youngsters not getting as many appearances.
fergie gives youngsters chances wherever they play, always has, still does. i think the defenders would have got chances just like the forwards but were given more because of the particular situation.
Closed Thread