United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 27-10-2009, 11:51 AM
Zorg

Default Re: manchester united are not an attacking team

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrose
Well that's what the article says, but I just didn't want to agree with the c***! In actual fact I think you'll find that SAF himself has been quoted as saying it was '99 that changed everything. Still let's not argue over the detail.
Oh right, hadn't noticed he'd said that tbh.

Unread 27-10-2009, 11:56 AM
Mr_Ed

Hang on...

We went to Anfield without a really defensive midfielder, played 442 with wingers and we're not an attacking team?

When they played 4-5-1 at home?

I think we played a good formation - it's just that Giggsy can't run any more and Valencia has a lot to learn.

Unread 27-10-2009, 11:59 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
Hang on...

We went to Anfield without a really defensive midfielder, played 442 with wingers and we're not an attacking team?

I think we played a good formation - it's just that Giggsy can't run any more and Valencia has a lot to learn.
It's more Rooney wasn't match fit, we played a two man midfield without any ball winning ability or much energy and our centre backs are both very jittery.

Unread 27-10-2009, 11:59 AM
rafabio

Forgetting results ( win or lose ) when was the last time we actually put a good dominating performance away from home against a top team domestic or in europe?

I actually can't think of any for the past 5 years ( or even more ) bar the inter game last season.

Even in the games we have got favorable results like barca or lyon away in 08, we have just played like shit defending for the 90 mins.

every other top team has done that. milan routed across us twice at OT, barca played wonderfully at OT, liverpool and arsenal played superbly at barca and madrid. when will we do that? I want to see united as dominating an away match. I don't think it will happen ever with fergie's tactics.

I think this is what rob smyth is alluding too although he hasn't put it in the right manner.

Unread 27-10-2009, 12:01 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafabio
Forgetting results ( win or lose ) when was the last time we actually put a good dominating performance away from home against a top team domestic or in europe?

I actually can't think of any for the past 5 years ( or even more ) bar the inter game last season.

Even in the games we have got favorable results like barca or lyon away in 08, we have just played like shit defending for the 90 mins.

every other top team has done that. milan routed across us twice at OT, barca played wonderfully at OT, liverpool and arsenal played superbly at barca and madrid. when will we do that? I want to see united as dominating an away match. I don't think it will happen ever with fergie's tactics.

I think this is what rob smyth is alluding too although he hasn't put it in the right manner.
Arsenal, last season?

Unread 27-10-2009, 12:01 PM
rafabio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
Hang on...

4-4-2 is not the problem. the attitude of the team fergie sends out is the problem. You always feel united play within themselves in away matches.

do you feel confident about the game at stamford bridge. I think the best we can hope for is a draw. I think it has come to a point where we are satisfied with a draw in our away games.

Unread 27-10-2009, 12:02 PM
rafabio

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
Arsenal, last season?
I purposely didn't include. the tie was dead after park's goal so early on.

although one interesting aspect is the closest we have come to good result and good performance against top teams is arsenal away. May be because they have a poor midfield like us?

Unread 27-10-2009, 12:03 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
I purposely didn't include. the tie was dead after park's goal so early on.

although one interesting aspect is the closest we have come to good result and good performance against top teams is arsenal away. May be because they have a poor midfield like us?
Sorry but that's ridiculous.

Unread 27-10-2009, 12:05 PM
rafabio

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
Sorry but that's ridiculous.
as much as you don't want to believe it, it was. there was no way arsenal were winning that match 3-1. they knew it, we knew it. Ronaldo's goal from the free kick was just another nail in the coffin.

Unread 27-10-2009, 12:06 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
as much as you don't want to believe it, it was. there was no way arsenal were winning that match 3-1. they knew it, we knew it. Ronaldo's goal from the free kick was just another nail in the coffin.

Unread 27-10-2009, 12:07 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Keith
Eh? Not sure how you've pulled the above point from my post.

I was simply saying that most fans love it when we beat Liverpool. It remains the biggest league fixture of our season. They are our biggest rivals. United fans and Liverpool fans pretty much hate each other and have done as long as I've been alive.

With me so far?

So consequently, it's a real shame that the team seemingly didn't treat the fixture with the same importance. So no, I'm not demanding that we win every game, but I do expect a United team to at least have a decent go and I thought exactly the same in the derby matches you refer to. Go easy against Fulham - I couldn't give a shit but don't go easy against Liverpool.
I was only really responding to the bit about 'worst performance under Fergie'. I agree, the lack of heart and desire in the games most important to fans in recent years has been nothing short of criminal. Sunday was a 'would be nice to win' rather than a 'must win' from the players pov. Mainly because they have their focus on the big picture, rather than individual games, rightly or wrongly.

Unread 27-10-2009, 12:11 PM
Gog Coch

We would be if he allowed some of the youngsters in when there's an injury to Roon etc. Cant understand why he rushed back from Moscow to see the Reserves the other night, they played well and showed more thrust and pace up front than United did on Sunday.
SAF is becoming more and more cautious as time goes on.

Unread 27-10-2009, 12:33 PM
red in cumbria

I always thought the real "Eureka" moment wasn't the Madrid game in 2000, but the following season, where we struggled in Europe generally because teams had learned how to play against us, and Bayern dispatched us in the knockout stage with ridiculous ease

That was when Fergie decided he wanted Veron, you know

Oh, and dismissing our performance at Arsenal last year is £#%&!ing ridiculous. Catch yourself on, mate

Unread 27-10-2009, 01:13 PM
Gypsum Fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentina
The article doesn't adhere to the thread title.

Thread title is wrong. Article is spot on
the thread title is the same as the article's sub-title

'1. manchester united are not an attacking team'

i agree with his sentiments, but to say united have been sextonian or not an attacking side for the whole of this decade? not buying that.

Unread 27-10-2009, 01:23 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsum Fantastic
the thread title is the same as the article's sub-title

'1. manchester united are not an attacking team'

i agree with his sentiments, but to say united have been sextonian or not an attacking side for the whole of this decade? not buying that.
Barely 18 months, really. And even then only in certain games / occasions.

We just need that little something, that spark and we'll be off again. Not sure what it is though. Could be Obertan.

Unread 27-10-2009, 01:37 PM
SilverSurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
I always thought the real "Eureka" moment wasn't the Madrid game in 2000, but the following season, where we struggled in Europe generally because teams had learned how to play against us, and Bayern dispatched us in the knockout stage with ridiculous ease

That was when Fergie decided he wanted Veron, you know
Agreed, that season was the deciding factor in changing our style in Europe. Defeats x 2 to Bayern, away at Anderlecht and PSV, a last minute miss from Kiev, 92nd min equaliser away at Panathaniakos. It wasn't a one-off game that brought about a change, but an entire season of poor performances.

Back on the debate; aside from the Arsenal and Inter games we failed to put in decent away performances in 08-09 but anyone who can't remember how well we played in Rome, Arsenal, Liverpool away 07-08 needs to give their head a shake.

Sextonian? I don't think some people realise just how £#%&!ing dull that was.

Unread 27-10-2009, 01:42 PM
Baron

Big Four clashes away from home. Going back to the start of the 2005-06 season, our record is:

P13 W2 D5 L6 F9 A15

Which instantly proves that the league is WON by beating all the other teams in the league & doing well at home.

What an amazing insight.

As for the 'not an attacking team' stuff... we morphed into something of a 'one man team' over the past 3 seasons because of the undeniable fact Ronaldo was the best player in the world & we had the best defence this country has ever seen (statistically...) so we'd rely on his inevitable goal & work to our strengths.

We should & desperately need(ed) an attacking, goal scoring midfielder this Summer, apart from that I have no qualms about the attacking ability of this side.

Unread 27-10-2009, 01:42 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer
Agreed, that season was the deciding factor in changing our style in Europe. Defeats x 2 to Bayern, away at Anderlecht and PSV, a last minute miss from Kiev, 92nd min equaliser away at Panathaniakos. It wasn't a one-off game that brought about a change, but an entire season of poor performances.

Back on the debate; aside from the Arsenal and Inter games we failed to put in decent away performances in 08-09 but anyone who can't remember how well we played in Rome, Arsenal, Liverpool away 07-08 needs to give their head a shake.

Sextonian? I don't think some people realise just how £#%&!ing dull that was.
I think we were just a bit dull last season a coupla games aside. We've already had good attacking performances like siddy at home and spurs away. Not sure I've seen a game that so much has been read into from than Sundays.

Unread 27-10-2009, 01:43 PM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Barely 18 months, really. And even then only in certain games / occasions.

We just need that little something, that spark and we'll be off again. Not sure what it is though. Could be Obertan.

Unread 27-10-2009, 01:51 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
It is definitely, definitely not him. For far too many reasons for me to type.
Closed Thread