Unread 21-03-2007, 12:37 PM
24hr Leavesey

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Calafate
Van Der Sar, Foster
Neville, Brown
Ferdinand, Vidic, Evans, Pique
Heinze, Evra
O'Shea, Carrick, Gibson, Scholes, Hargreaves (assumptions, assumptios!)
Ronaldo, Giggs, Park
Saha, Smith, Ole, Rossi

could do with another striker or winger but that's a £#%&!in good squad.

nft.
Say we win the league.

chelsea will not so much buy big this summer, but buy smart.

That squad imo, probably won't be able to defend their title sucessfully.

Unread 21-03-2007, 12:45 PM
antonin jablonsky

Don't think Ollie'll be back as a player next season.

Unread 21-03-2007, 12:46 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24hr Leavesey
Say we win the league.

chelsea will not so much buy big this summer, but buy smart.

I think if Jose goes Chelsea'll spend huge this summer, Abramovic will want to show the clubs succes is because of him not Jose.

Unread 21-03-2007, 01:06 PM
Tiberian

Bent is a very one dimensional player at the moment. Ball over the top is what he is a all about. Most teams defend deep against Utd, rarely leave space in behind , so the forward needs a bit more football ability, have not seen Bent show an all round game yet.

Hargreaves would be perfect for Utd, but some will not be convinced until he plays for us.

Unread 21-03-2007, 01:08 PM
Rhodzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
Bent is a very one dimensional player at the moment. Ball over the top is what he is a all about. Most teams defend deep against Utd, rarely leave space in behind , so the forward needs a bit more football ability, have not seen Bent show an all round game yet.

Hargreaves would be perfect for Utd, but some will not be convinced until he plays for us.
100% agreed, couldn't put it into words myself buts thats why I don't want him.

Unread 21-03-2007, 01:17 PM
24hr Leavesey

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
I think if Jose goes Chelsea'll spend huge this summer, Abramovic will want to show the clubs succes is because of him not Jose.

Ah, didn't consider Maureen leaving as a factor.

I'm hoping your scenario happens then.

All credit to Maureen for getting his first chelsea team to gel so well, so quickly. Chelsea fans are asking a lot for that to happen again if there are wholesale changes.

Unread 21-03-2007, 01:20 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:

I dunno, I think he leads the line pretty well for a young player in a crap team. Has all the physical tools and just needs toplay with better players to improve his all round game. Cole was a 6 yard box player and nowt else when he came to United, when he left he was a top, line leading all round centre forward. You can't always buy the finished article, sometimes you buy young talent and develop it.

Unread 21-03-2007, 01:27 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
I dunno, I think he leads the line pretty well for a young player in a crap team. Has all the physical tools and just needs toplay with better players to improve his all round game. Cole was a 6 yard box player and nowt else when he came to United, when he left he was a top, line leading all round centre forward. You can't always buy the finished article, sometimes you buy young talent and develop it.
That comparison if fair, but even at Newcastle Cole formed a great partnership with Beardsley, if you look back at some of the goals they scored you can see wonderful interplay between them which would become a staple part of Cole's play at Utd.

I do not see those glimpses from Bent, most of his best work comes from use of his physical gifts, his pace and power, his goal record is impressive though, playing for a poor side, but I do not see anything in him to suggest he could be a world class striker, which is in reality the standard he would have to come close to to be a regular at Utd.

Anything under 7/8 mill and he would be a decent signing as a player we could look to develop, but considering the premium for English players we would probably get betetr value elsewhere.

Unread 21-03-2007, 01:31 PM
El Calafate

isn't Bent a similar player to Saha, only not as good? nft.

Unread 21-03-2007, 01:31 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
That comparison if fair, but even at Newcastle Cole formed a great partnership with Beardsley, if you look back at some of the goals they scored you can see wonderful interplay between them which would become a staple part of Cole's play at Utd.

I do not see those glimpses from Bent, most of his best work comes from use of his physical gifts, his pace and power, his goal record is impressive though, playing for a poor side, but I do not see anything in him to suggest he could be a world class striker, which is in reality the standard he would have to come close to to be a regular at Utd.

Err at Charlton he doesn't have a Beardsley to lay chances on a plate for him or build a partnership with. Charlton are £#%&!ing shit and one dimensional as a team and Bent is mainly asked to play on his own up front and do it on his own. Now I'm not saying we should sign Bent but I do see good comparisons with Cole and think if we are looking at properly reinforcing our squad he'd be a good option to allow us to also sign a midfielder and wide player.

Unread 21-03-2007, 01:34 PM
Luffy

I'd be disappointed with Bent and Nani, and even Hargreaves to an extent though it'd be fine.

Nani is nowhere near ready, he's no Ronaldo who is a genius and was always looking likely to be one of the best in the world.

I'm sure there are better more effective wingers out there than Nani.

We'd like a world class striker with good movement - those runs rooney made vs boro - someone who will do that all game and actually finish them off. Torres may be the man.

Unread 21-03-2007, 01:36 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Calafate
isn't Bent a similar player to Saha, only not as good? nft.
Maybe, he's certainly younger and has plenty of talent and can only get better playing in a better team. Point is though we are in a situation where we need to improve our squad, now as seems likely we aint gonna spend £20 million+ on a striker as wellas Hargreaves, this is the sort of player we should be looking for to improve our depth up front. Would Bent as such not be a good back up to Saha next`season with a view to being a first choice in future.

Unread 21-03-2007, 01:38 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy
I'.

We'd like a world class striker with good movement - those runs rooney made vs boro - someone who will do that all game and actually finish them off. Torres may be the man.
Do you honestly think we'll spend £25 milion+ on Torres after signing Hargreaves? I think it's out of the question. I also suggest anyone who thinks Torres is a great goal scorer should lookat his record, I think he's a cracking player but prolific he aint.

Unread 21-03-2007, 01:41 PM
24hr Leavesey

Quote:
Do you honestly think we'll spend £25 milion+ on Torres after signing Hargreaves? I think it's out of the question.

Only way that'll happen is if we sell Ronnie or Rio or win the Premier League and the Champs League.

I'd lurrrrrve to be wrong on this one.

Unread 21-03-2007, 01:53 PM
Luffy

Quote:
Do you honestly think we'll spend £25 milion+ on Torres after signing Hargreaves? I think it's out of the question. I also suggest anyone who thinks Torres is a great goal scorer should lookat his record, I think he's a cracking player but prolific he aint.
no of course I dont. but on the same hand I think Fergie likes him and he looks like he will become available this season and fergie may have a think.

I'm not sure torres would cost that much tbh, he's dropped from the spanish national side and only wants utd. he isnt so prolific for madrid, but his movement and teamwork is amazing, it will really benefit this team.

I dont look at a players record when judging his abilities, I just look at how and what he does on the pitch and see if he has useful attributes. Rooney, Torres, Ronaldo, Giggs, Scholes, Carrick as our lineup would be almost unplayable. Everyone so comfortable on the ball, lots of pace there and everyone liable to grab a goal at any moment.

I dont really know why we're after a midfielder before a striker, which is where we've come up short this season whilst midfield has been comfortable. Fergie seems happy to keep O'Shea/Fletcher which again begs the question why we'd want Hargreaves as its getting abit crowded there.

Unread 21-03-2007, 01:57 PM
24hr Leavesey

Quote:
no of course I dont. but on the same hand I think Fergie likes him and he looks like he will become available this season and fergie may have a think.

I'm not sure torres would cost that much tbh, he's dropped from the spanish national side and only wants utd. he isnt so prolific for madrid, but his movement and teamwork is amazing, it will really benefit this team.

I dont look at a players record when judging his abilities, I just look at how and what he does on the pitch and see if he has useful attributes. Rooney, Torres, Ronaldo, Giggs, Scholes, Carrick as our lineup would be almost unplayable. Everyone so comfortable on the ball, lots of pace there and everyone liable to grab a goal at any moment.

I dont really know why we're after a midfielder before a striker, which is where we've come up short this season whilst midfield has been comfortable. Fergie seems happy to keep O'Shea/Fletcher which again begs the question why we'd want Hargreaves as its getting abit crowded there.
Good post Luffy.

I've got to say I agree that a striker is a necessity this season, but so is midfield - just one serious injury in midfield and we're £#%&!ed.

A winger is a luxury purchase, this season at least.

Unread 21-03-2007, 02:02 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Fergie seems happy to keep O'Shea/Fletcher which again begs the question why we'd want Hargreaves as its getting abit crowded there.
Hargreaves brings something different than any of the midfielders we have at the moment, pace, energy and aggression. Especially with Scholes and Giggs the age they are we need someone who can get about the pitch, but also has quality on the ball.

Scholes will not go on forever, and his influence on the difficult away games this season has not been that great. Hargreaves would allow Fergie to be more trusting in the overall attacking system, a really solid midfield partnership might allow the rest to do their thing with more freedom in the big matches.

Agree about Torres, another player who looks perfect for the fluid style of play that Utd specialize in.

Unread 21-03-2007, 02:10 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Only way that'll happen is if we sell Ronnie or Rio or win the Premier League and the Champs League.

I'd lurrrrrve to be wrong on this one.
You don't want us to win the Premiership and the CL?

YOU BASTARD!!!!!!!

Unread 21-03-2007, 02:11 PM
antonin jablonsky

I'm not disagreeing on Torres by the way, I'm just stating that as as a realistic set of targets those names are pretty good. The midfielder we need, a good young fast striker with plenty of potential and a talented but raw winger. Ideally I'd go for Xavi, Torres and Ronadinho but they just aren't realistic.

Unread 21-03-2007, 02:13 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Good post Luffy.

I've got to say I agree that a striker is a necessity this season, but so is midfield - just one serious injury in midfield and we're £#%&!ed.

A winger is a luxury purchase, this season at least.
Agreed.

Priority one: Midfielder. Well, let's not beat about the bush, Hargreaves.
Priority two: Striker. Doesn't need to be a goal machine. I think since Ruud has left we should've established that fitting into the system is paramount.
Priority three: A left back...sorry....winger. Left sided. Preferably a good player too. Sorry Richardson.
Closed Thread