Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 11-05-2010, 07:23 PM
borsuk

Thumbs up scholes tells england to sod off again

Quote:
[SIZE="5"]Paul Scholes turns down England World Cup call-up
Capello makes unsuccessful attempt to end Scholes exile

Paul Scholes is understood to have declined a surprise last-ditch attempt by Fabio Capello to lure him out of international retirement to play a part in England's World Cup squad.

Capello contacted Scholes, who has not played for his country since Euro 2004 but has 66 caps, to see whether he might follow Jamie Carragher's lead by emerging from his self-imposed international exile as the Italian finalised his provisional 30-man squad, announced formally at Wembley this afternoon.

Capello was minded to seek further experience to supplement his midfield ranks and that prompted contact with the 35-year-old Manchester United midfielder, although Scholes is not inclined to reverse his original decision.

The national squad's options in central midfield are relatively limited with Gareth Barry included in the squad despite being out for the next four weeks with ankle ligament damage. Spurs' Tom Huddlestone, impressive this term, has one cap, against Brazil last November. Michael Carrick has not been a regular starter for United this term.

Capello and the England general manager, Franco Baldini, initially made contact with Scholes and Carragher upon taking up the reins with the national team 17 months ago to seek clarification on the reasons for both players' retirement from international football.

They were satisfied at the time that neither was likely to change his mind and did not intend to revisit the issue thereafter, though Carragher's stance has shifted slightly after a desperately disappointing season for Liverpool.

The England management team were made aware of that much and, having successfully reintegrated Carragher into their plans, sought clarification from Scholes on his intentions. Yet the United veteran does not appear to have shared the Liverpool defender's desire to emerge from exile.

Unread 11-05-2010, 07:27 PM
MJ Ramone

Default Re: scholes tells england to sod off again

Typical Scholesy Love him.

Shame though, if he could have taken his United form to the World Cup he'd have walked into the side. Still England's best midfielder by a mile.
Would liked to have seen him play in a World Cup again.

Unread 11-05-2010, 07:31 PM
plopborsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone

Shame though, if he could have taken his United form to the World Cup he'd have walked into the side. Still England's best midfielder by a mile.
agree shame he did not want to go

Unread 11-05-2010, 07:31 PM
thrills_pills_bellyaches

Quote:

I'd hate to have seen him used in a midfield 2 in Capello's team, off the pace and being the predictable scapegoat for an inevitable failure

Unread 11-05-2010, 07:51 PM
£#%&! KFC

Quote:
I agree 100% ...but from a selfish point of view I'd have loved to watch Scholesy pull out a midfield masterclass on the biggest stage...as much for him as anyone else.
no bigger stage than Old Trafford though is there

Unread 11-05-2010, 07:54 PM
MJ Ramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by £#%&! KFC
no bigger stage than Old Trafford though is there
Of course, but 'The World Cup' is a pretty big deal too.

I don't think I'm saying anything controversial by wishing to see one of my favourite players of all time play at a World Cup again.
The fact he doesn't want to doesn't alter the fact he's as good as any midfielder going to the competition.

Unread 11-05-2010, 08:02 PM
The Watcher

This country doesn't deserve the £#%&!ing genius that's Scholes. Shunted on to the left wing to make way for media darlings Gerrard and Lampard, lambasted in the press at the time. Not long before he packed it in, I remember tv and radio call in shows full of thick @#%&!s calling for him to be dropped. £#%&!ing joke. In Holland, Germany, France...pretty much any other nation, he'd be treasured and have the side built around him. Only England could be £#%&!ing stupid enough to waste the best player of his generation.

I hope The Ginger Prince sits at home pissing himself laughing as he watches the likes of Barry, Lampard, Gerrard and the rest struggle to make more then three passes before giving away the ball. @#%&!s the lot of them, and not fit to wipe the mud of his boots.

Unread 11-05-2010, 08:04 PM
£#%&! KFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
This country doesn't deserve the £#%&!ing genius that's Scholes. Shunted on to the left wing to make way for media darlings Gerrard and Lampard, lambasted in the press at the time. Not long before he packed it in, I remember tv and radio call in shows full of thick @#%&!s calling for him to be dropped. £#%&!ing joke. In Holland, Germany, France...pretty much any other nation, he'd be treasured and have the side built around him. Only England could be £#%&!ing stupid enough to waste the best player of his generation.

I hope The Ginger Prince sits at home pissing himself laughing as he watches the likes of Barry, Lampard, Gerrard and the rest struggle to make more then three passes before giving away the ball. @#%&!s the lot of them, and not fit to wipe the mud of his boots.

Unread 11-05-2010, 08:08 PM
borsuk

Quote:
I see you beat me to it
more succinct as well, which is a first

Unread 11-05-2010, 08:49 PM
£#%&! KFC

Thumbs down Re: scholes tells england to sod off again

compare and contrast....

apparently Hargreaves threw a paddy on Sunday because he wanted to start and prove he was fit for England

when told he was on the bench he £#%&!ed off

cheers for that....who has paid your wages for the last 18 £#%&!ing months while you've er, sat in the house

Unread 11-05-2010, 08:49 PM
Switching Off

Quote:

Owned

Unread 11-05-2010, 08:53 PM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by £#%&! KFC
compare and contrast....

apparently Hargreaves threw a paddy on Sunday because he wanted to start and prove he was fit for England

when told he was on the bench he £#%&!ed off

cheers for that....who has paid your wages for the last 18 £#%&!ing months while you've er, sat in the house

is that genuine? £#%&!ing hell if so

bit like drogba threatening to decapitate half of stamford bridge with his lower lip because he couldn't take a penalty, while wayne was unselfishly setting up others when through 1 on 1.

Unread 11-05-2010, 08:57 PM
£#%&! KFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
is that genuine? £#%&!ing hell if so

bit like drogba threatening to decapitate half of stamford bridge with his lower lip because he couldn't take a penalty, while wayne was unselfishly setting up others when through 1 on 1.
seems to be mate

he's got a £#%&!ing cheek not only for £#%&!ing off but spitting his dummy at not starting.....as far as I know the league wasn't over BEFORE our game on Sunday ffs

Unread 11-05-2010, 09:22 PM
The Watcher

It was on the twitter of a couple of hacks that he left OT after warm up looking depressed. They all assumed it was because of another injury? If he's seen his arse as suggested, he can £#%&! right off.

Unread 11-05-2010, 09:29 PM
That Boy Ronaldo!

The curly haired @#%&!! I can understand being frustrated due to lack of football but walk before you cam run...

Hargreaves going to the WC could of been the end of his career, he's at the stage now where he needs a full pre-season and start again, not £#%&!ing off for three weeks in the sun.

Unread 11-05-2010, 09:32 PM
Appletango

If thats true about Hargreaves he can £#%&! off.

Unread 11-05-2010, 09:44 PM
£#%&! KFC

whatever happened he did £#%&! off before the game....and he's got no right to be pissed off about missing the World Cup...can't bellieve he even thought about it he £#%&!ing owes United first

Unread 11-05-2010, 09:49 PM
MJ Ramone

I did wonder why he wasn't involved on Sunday.

Seems out of character for him to him to throw a tantrum. He comes across as a pretty level headed guy. I'm sure it's something & nothing.
He must be pretty desperate to play tbf.

Unread 11-05-2010, 10:50 PM
Smeggs

£#%&!ing sick of england shite already and the squad was only announced today.

Love Scholesy.

Unread 13-05-2010, 05:47 AM
borsuk

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...-fabio-capello
Closed Thread