United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 25-08-2016, 02:06 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
Assume you're talking about dropping Rooney for him rather than Zlatan?
Not even really talking about dropping anyone. Form, fitness, suspensions, rotation will take care of itself.

Unread 25-08-2016, 02:11 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFatGoth
Hearing he's lost his England place
In the under 21s.

Unread 25-08-2016, 02:16 PM
Dasilvatwins

So fat sam clearly states he will pick hart even though he isnt getting games yet drops the biggest prospect in england and his best player in the euros.

I rather he not get picked for england but if he is called up to u21 he may aswell be called up to the first team

Unread 25-08-2016, 02:21 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Redface
Why would I need to do that? We're talking about him getting starts, which we both agree will happen, I'm genuinely curious as to why you think he wouldn't be kept in the side if he did well.
because you're trying to convince yourself that if he plays well he'll keep his place

well newsflash: he played brilliantly last season and was the man in possession coming into the season - mourinho dropped him and has so far given him 20 minutes in a friendly.

his preferred strike partnership is zlatan and rooney and it will be wheeled out at every single opportunity in any match mourinho prioritises. get used to it.

Unread 25-08-2016, 02:48 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
because you're trying to convince yourself that if he plays well he'll keep his place

well newsflash: he played brilliantly last season and was the man in possession coming into the season - mourinho dropped him and has so far given him 20 minutes in a friendly.

his preferred strike partnership is zlatan and rooney and it will be wheeled out at every single opportunity in any match mourinho prioritises. get used to it.
I'm not trying to convince myself of anything, mate. It's not my initial claim.

It's a normal process that if someone plays well, in a side developing under a new manager and increase the quality of the side, that they'll most likely be retained.

I'm not the one saying he'll be out the side. You are. It's your claim, I'm just curious as to why you think that. Nothing more. You don't seem to want to answer that, which is up to you ofcourse

I take your point re him not starting the season, but I wouldn't say that extends to him being 'dropped'. It'd be wrong to expect José to pick exactly the same side as lvg.

He's started from scratch. There is no dropping. Just a fresh 11, which I'd say is very much subject to change as the season goes on.

You seem to have made your mind up as to how the squad rotation will pan out after two games. Again, fair enough, was just interested as to why you think that.

Unread 25-08-2016, 03:41 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Not even really talking about dropping anyone. Form, fitness, suspensions, rotation will take care of itself.
Mourinho doesn't tend to rotate as much as many managers. Last title winning season with Chelsea he was incredibly consistent in his line-up, which ended up burning out the players for the following pre season. Lots of people just state that Rashford "will get lots of games" but I have no idea how they can be so confident of that. I hope it's the case but in a season without CL football and the prioritisation of the league, I can't see Zlatan missing many league matches.

Unread 25-08-2016, 03:43 PM
Mr_Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Mourinho doesn't tend to rotate as much as many managers. Last season he was incredibly consistent in his line-up. Lots of people just state that Rashford "will get lots of games" but I have no idea how they can be so confident of that. I hope it's the case but in a season without CL football and the prioritisation of the league, I can't see Zlatan missing many league matches.
Thing is he's a great player with potential but unless you're prepared to drop fatty you can't start him. Zlat's form has been great so I'm hoping tubby gets a hamstring pop and Rashers will get a run of games.

With the league being as tight as expected this season you have to go with what you think is your strongest 11?

Unread 25-08-2016, 03:47 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
Thing is he's a great player with potential but unless you're prepared to drop fatty you can't start him. Zlat's form has been great so I'm hoping tubby gets a hamstring pop and Rashers will get a run of games.

With the league being as tight as expected this season you have to go with what you think is your strongest 11?
Zlat could drop into the no10 but if he's scoring goals Mou will be very reluctant to move him, plus you lose some energy deeper where someone like Rooney presses the ball quite well. I think Throb is right when he says Martial might be the one to drop out.

Unread 25-08-2016, 04:20 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Mourinho doesn't tend to rotate as much as many managers. Last title winning season with Chelsea he was incredibly consistent in his line-up, which ended up burning out the players for the following pre season. Lots of people just state that Rashford "will get lots of games" but I have no idea how they can be so confident of that. I hope it's the case but in a season without CL football and the prioritisation of the league, I can't see Zlatan missing many league matches.
I think you only need to look at our strikers.

One is 35. The other desperately struggles for form and consistency.

If they were both 25 and flawless, I'd worry more for Rashford.

My confidence stems from José still sorting his best 11 and how good Rashford actually is.

As we've stated in other threads, I think he's going with 'trusted' players early on. I'd be very surprised if it's the same side finishing the season.

Mata being in Mkhitaryan is a good example. He's picking Mata, but does anyone really believe he fancies a man he sold for Chelsea more than his own signing?... no. It's just the side he's going with for now.

Also, Rashford is good. José is a pragmatist. If he comes in and plays well, improves the team, he'll tick boxes. There's a big difference between playing any old kid because you want to promote youth and playing a kid who is actually shit hot.

I have faith that Rashford is so good that it's only a matter of time until he's starting regularly. And time is on his side.

Oh, it's two games. No conclusions can be drawn.

Unread 25-08-2016, 04:25 PM
atticusgrinch

He's going to start Europa League and league cup games and have sub appearances in the league. That's more than enough for an 18 year old.

You'd have to be some sort of #@&%! not to realise this.

Unread 25-08-2016, 04:27 PM
plopborsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch
He's going to start Europa League and league cup games and have sub appearances in the league. That's more than enough for an 18 year old.

You'd have to be some sort of #@&%! not to realise this.

Unread 25-08-2016, 04:34 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
I think you only need to look at our strikers.

One is 35. The other desperately struggles for form and consistency.

If they were both 25 and flawless, I'd worry more for Rashford.

My confidence stems from José still sorting his best 11 and how good Rashford actually is.

As we've stated in other threads, I think he's going with 'trusted' players early on. I'd be very surprised if it's the same side finishing the season.

Mata being in Mkhitaryan is a good example. He's picking Mata, but does anyone really believe he fancies a man he sold for Chelsea more than his own signing?... no. It's just the side he's going with for now.

Also, Rashford is good. José is a pragmatist. If he comes in and plays well, improves the team, he'll tick boxes. There's a big difference between playing any old kid because you want to promote youth and playing a kid who is actually shit hot.

I have faith that Rashford is so good that it's only a matter of time until he's starting regularly. And time is on his side.

Oh, it's two games. No conclusions can be drawn.
Tbf the only conclusion being drawn is the one saying Rashford will play plenty of games. I hope he does, but it remains to be seen. For all the talk of it being a long season, we're really all about the league this year surely. I can't see Zlatan missing many league games.

I hope Mou will take the gamble in a few home games and drop Zlatan in behind Rashford, but that will go against his instinct. Clearly we don't want to burn Rashford out, but a season as a Europa League and League Cup player isn't ideal for his development. I'd ideally like to see him start 15-18 league games, but that's likely out of the question with Zlat and Rooney around.

Unread 25-08-2016, 04:40 PM
ZiggyStardust

Quote:
Tbf the only conclusion being drawn is the one saying Rashford will play plenty of games. I hope he does, but it remains to be seen. For all the talk of it being a long season, we're really all about the league this year surely. I can't see Zlatan missing many league games.

I hope Mou will take the gamble in a few home games and drop Zlatan in behind Rashford, but that will go against his instinct. Clearly we don't want to burn Rashford out, but a season as a Europa League and League Cup player isn't ideal for his development. I'd ideally like to see him start 15-18 league games, but that's likely out of the question with Zlat and Rooney around.
There's no reason why Rashford can't play as a 10 given he's played that position in the youth team
When Zlat comes deep Rashford can make runs beyond him and he can rotate his position with Micki on the right wide position

Off the ball he would press the ball a hell of a lot better than Rooney

Bottom line is that it is only 2 games into the season
Mata's started the first 2 games but no one really thinks he has a long term future in the side so let's see how things evolve over the coming months

I just don't see that Rooney Zlatan combination working at all tbh and eventually Mourinho will realise that we can't win the league with those two players playing through the middle

Unread 25-08-2016, 05:07 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:

Not a conclusion, more an assumption based on the profile of our strikers and the number of games.

I certainly hope you're right re giving him a few home games etc.

I'm not at all convinced that it's set in stone that rooney and Zlat is the partnership he'll persist with. It's the partnership now, but if Rooney continues to be as patchy as he is (and that's being generous) he'll be out of the team.

Unread 25-08-2016, 05:09 PM
S/Side.Red

I agree with you and Ziggy about the current Rooney and Zlat partnership, but I think another midfielder coming in to release Pogba is more likely than Rashford playing. Certainly against City next month. I'd be stunned if we go with Pogba and Fellaini in a two in the derby.

Really is a chance for Schneiderlin to step up. He's a Mourinho type player and there's definitely a place to earn in this midfield.

Unread 25-08-2016, 05:16 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
I agree with you and Ziggy about the current Rooney and Zlat partnership, but I think another midfielder coming in to release Pogba is more likely than Rashford playing. Certainly against City next month. I'd be stunned if we go with Pogba and Fellaini in a two in the derby.

Really is a chance for Schneiderlin to step up. He's a Mourinho type player and there's definitely a place to earn in this midfield.
Yeah, good point.

I still retain hope for Schneiderlen

That would require a system change, but I think there's scope for potential personnel changes depending on form. Zlat will need to be rested. Mata and Rooney's form is questionable. Martial can have his off days. I'd say the only players who are certain to start in any best 11 are

De Gea
Shaw
Bailly
Pogba
Zlatan

I'd say half the side is still open to change if the right player takes his chances.

It's a healthy state for the squad to be in.

José has already stated many times how hard it is to leave certain players out and how the upcoming two games a week will help, so he's clearly open to changes and allowing players to get their chance (at least publicly anyway)

Good problem to have and all that.

Unread 25-08-2016, 05:28 PM
jem

oh, schneidi needs to step up alright. tfm - pogba - schneidi.... that's a proper midfield. the trouble is that schneidi has been but a timid shadow. on the evidence we have seen, it would be madness to play schneidi ahead of rashford. of course, it would be madness to play fellaini. at all. and yet......

Unread 25-08-2016, 05:53 PM
Tumescent Throb

it's fanciful at best to think that rooney is going to be left out by mourinho. firstly he's still a top class finisher, albeit he gets himself less chances. secondly he's the captain. thirdly mourinho (and zlatan) have been kissing his arse since they arrived with the whole "he gets us/manchester is blue" type shit you normally get at other clubs...

zlatan clearly can't be dropped if he's fit to play as he's a massive threat in the side right now and would be a massive @#%&! if he was left out of it.

imo the pair of them together naturally set us a slower tempo, which is ideal for mata and less so for mhiki and for rashford, who both have blistering pace and rapid acceleration as part of their game. tony martial is a a frustrating @#%&! with his habit of either stumbling the ball out of play or of leaving it behind, but he's incredible when he gets it right and when he doesn't he's still great for the manager tactically. lingard isn't far off a mirror of that on the right, so there's your main 5 players with mhiki and rashford held in abeyance most of the time...

Unread 25-08-2016, 05:56 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
it's fanciful at best to think that rooney is going to be left out by mourinho. firstly he's still a top class finisher, albeit he gets himself less chances. secondly he's the captain. thirdly mourinho (and zlatan) have been kissing his arse since they arrived with the whole "he gets us/manchester is blue" type shit you normally get at other clubs...

zlatan clearly can't be dropped if he's fit to play as he's a massive threat in the side right now and would be a massive c*** if he was left out of it.

imo the pair of them together naturally set us a slower tempo, which is ideal for mata and less so for mhiki and for rashford, who both have blistering pace and rapid acceleration as part of their game. tony martial is a a frustrating @#%&! with his habit of either stumbling the ball out of play or of leaving it behind, but he's incredible when he gets it right and when he doesn't he's still great for the manager tactically. lingard isn't far off a mirror of that on the right, so there's your main 5 players with mhiki and rashford held in abeyance most of the time...
If he plays shit, he'll be dropped.

Unread 25-08-2016, 06:00 PM
Bunker Buster

Only a matter of posts now until Rooney is unequivocally the reason rashford isn't getting games

It's close...
Closed Thread