United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 23-11-2014, 12:07 PM
Crumps

Default Blackett and McNair

Done well so far with the latter being superb at times. You want experienced defenders? This is how you get em.

With all the shite with injuries having 2 Academy kids coming through and doing so well has been a Swiss flag for me.

Love youth team, love defenders.

Think Paddy will more likely partner Jones as Phil ascends the footballing mountain to camp Baresi.

I would only add one centre half in January tbh.

Unread 23-11-2014, 12:09 PM
Switching Off

Blackett panicked a couple of times yesterday but like you say, plaiyng them ius only gonna help them.

Not many top sides will play two teenage centre halves who haven't played 10 first team games at Arsenal, and win.

United

Unread 23-11-2014, 12:10 PM
dragflick

Yep, big plus. Finishing the game with Wilson on the pitch aswell as those two

Unread 23-11-2014, 12:12 PM
Crumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragflick
Fletch too for a little added indentitedeh.

Unread 23-11-2014, 12:13 PM
Stickman

Really liked the look of Mcnair against Lukaku, seems to be a very smart defender too and decent with the ball on ground.

Got really high hopes for him to become a regular, gut feeling is Blackett will be a backup long term but these are exactly the types you want in and around the squad long term, part of the bigger picture. You'll be relatively comfortable any time they step in now no matter who were playing.

Unread 23-11-2014, 12:13 PM
MJ Ramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off
Not many top sides will play two teenage centre halves who haven't played 10 first team games at Arsenal, and win.
£#%&!ing state of Martin Tyler yesterday, bemoaning the fact that Arsenal were playing a defender slightly out of position & then reeling off our line-up as if McNair & Blackett are Premier League stalwarts & we're essentially at full strength

No idea if either of them will make it long term but fair play to the pair of them for coming into the side & doing so well.

Unread 23-11-2014, 12:19 PM
Red Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragflick

All the press banging about us loosing our identity with our galacticos but not praising us for this :shakehead:

Unread 23-11-2014, 12:20 PM
Drexl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumps
has been a Swiss flag for me.
It took me a while, but

Unread 23-11-2014, 12:22 PM
FraUtd

The Leicester game was both sides of Blackett.

Can remember being impressed with him 1st half, then he may as well have stayed in the changing rooms for the 2nd half, completely imploded and got caught out repeatedly.
He seems more the type of player you would want to give a chance alongside more settled/established defenders to see the best of him.

Unread 23-11-2014, 12:29 PM
Red Al

I think Blackett will reach the oshea type lever good backup and squad player type(LC and run of the mill epl stuff)but not top drawer for CL latter stages or the city,chelski games

Hope I am wrong though

Unread 23-11-2014, 12:30 PM
believe

them starting so well is the most worrying thing for me.

Unread 23-11-2014, 12:32 PM
Jethro

Not lost when McNair starts Bloody loves a maraud up the pitch too

Unread 23-11-2014, 12:34 PM
barrington avenue

McNair looks absolutely quality but atm Blackett defo has a touch of the Phil Jones' about him..

if Evans and McNair had a run it could come good..

Unread 23-11-2014, 12:35 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro
yhgwgr (good word good rep)

Unread 23-11-2014, 12:38 PM
Crumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro
Him playing under LVG so soon in his career will do wonders for his development in a high line as well as helping the attack.

Unread 23-11-2014, 12:41 PM
Red Al

I like McNair as there is a top defender in there and as pointed out above its LVG,s job now to develop this kid

Unread 23-11-2014, 12:52 PM
S/Side.Red

Both have limitations that worry me, tbh, but they're clearly doing something right as they're holding their own at this level.

I'll be surprised if Blackett has got enough to be a long-term starter, but if Mcnair can improve under LvG maybe he's got a chance. He looked slow when Chamberlain got in down the left in the second half and his reactions/marking for the recent Aguero and Giroud goals have been slow, but there's a lot of time to improve and he seems to have the confidence, which is very important.

Unread 23-11-2014, 12:55 PM
Dasilvatwins

biggest thing i like about blackett is that he seems to position himself well at times and throws his body at the ball... too man times these last few years united have had @#%&! in the team.

Unread 23-11-2014, 12:55 PM
Coracao

Probably worth bearing in mind that Blackett came through the academy playing left back.

McNair looks the more composed of the two. Not sure if either will make it long term, but good luck to them.

Unread 23-11-2014, 12:57 PM
ChairmanMao

tbf to Blackett I'm not sure what he's done that marks him out as a back up that is any worse than McNair's pass straight to Arsenal about 2 yards outside our box Yesterday. and that isn't slagging McNair off either, kids make mistakes. but then I've never really seen Smalling do much that wrong outside the City game either, think our desperate need for a centre half is slightly overplayed tbh.
Closed Thread