United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 29-12-2012, 05:59 PM
Grimson

Good result, good defensive performance. Pitch was really bad. Not just later, when it cut up. Earlier it was holding the ball like glue and made any kind of passing or carrying the ball a chore.

Best and worst of Ben Foster today. Brilliant on low shots, useless with anything above the shoulder. As good a hit as that was, it wasn't anywhere near the corner, but he just can't get his lumbering body off the ground.

Unread 29-12-2012, 05:59 PM
Crumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
Really miss Rafael and his attacking ability down the right, Smalling looks very uncomfortable on the ball at times, heavy pitch accentuates his clumsiness but too often the play breaks down around him.

Valencia created a few chances, was a lot more productive than Young, at least he was showing more individual intent. His style of play is that of a bludgeon though, all very obvious, plenty of hard work and graft but so little sparkle. A couple of half chances today when he tried to just blast the ball through defenders instead of shifting it looking for the gap, sums up his style of play for me.
Did well to set up Welbeck at the end and played a part in the goal that killed the game tbf.

Unread 29-12-2012, 06:00 PM
The Return of JC

Good result in difficult circumstances on that pitch. We can and will play better, but the result is paramount and the clean sheet was much needed.

Nice to give RVP a rest and get Kagawa back.

I think most of us would've taken 2-0 at the start.

Unread 29-12-2012, 06:01 PM
Cream

Quote:
Really miss Rafael and his attacking ability down the right, Smalling looks very uncomfortable on the ball at times, heavy pitch accentuates his clumsiness but too often the play breaks down around him.

Valencia created a few chances, was a lot more productive than Young, at least he was showing more individual intent. His style of play is that of a bludgeon though, all very obvious, plenty of hard work and graft but so little sparkle. A couple of half chances today when he tried to just blast the ball through defenders instead of shifting it looking for the gap, sums up his style of play for me.
Ironically, Young blasted it through for our first and Valencia did loft one in for a good chance around the same time.

But you're right.

Unread 29-12-2012, 06:01 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Good result. Defense was solid in the centre. Not sure how anyone can be happy with midfield though and the welbeck for balon dor in 3 years thing looks more ridiculous as the games go by.

Unread 29-12-2012, 06:02 PM
MJ Ramone

Clean sheet is the big thing to take from that.
3pts & on to the next one.

Shame Norwich couldn't do us a favour (although tbf I'm sure they've got half an eye on their next Cup Final against us) ...but we've had our bonus result this month with Sunderland beating the divs.
We've just got to keep doing the job ourselves.

Unread 29-12-2012, 06:02 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumps
Did well to set up Welbeck at the end and played a part in the goal that killed the game tbf.
He did, but it all feels so laborious when he is on the ball, all graft, no craft. He has picked up a little in the last 2 matches, at this rate he might look like a winger again sometime in May.

Unread 29-12-2012, 06:03 PM
That Boy Ronaldo!

Cracking result that

Dug in and defended as a team, Smalling not very good at RB but still regaining his fitness.

First half we were excellent, Kagawa always available and when he gets the ball he always picks the right pass.

Unread 29-12-2012, 06:03 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Rafael's a huge loss atm. I like Smalling in a central position, but he really, really doesn't want to get forward and doesn't offer anything when he does.

Unread 29-12-2012, 06:05 PM
red in cumbria

What's the situation with Rafael, anyway? Not another "2 weeks" job I hope

Tronics

bet the journo's are gutted we won this one!

The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone
Clean sheet is the big thing to take from that.
3pts & on to the next one.

Shame Norwich couldn't do us a favour (although tbf I'm sure they've got half an eye on their next Cup Final against us) ...but we've had our bonus result this month with Sunderland beating the divs.
We've just got to keep doing the job ourselves.
Yep. We don't need to be looking at City. They've £#%&!ed up plenty and its up to us to stay focussed.

So good to see Vidic back in there and he was MOM for me.

Unread 29-12-2012, 06:07 PM
Gruber

With so many games at this stage of the season it's not always going to be pretty. I'll take that today and at Wigan too.

Unread 29-12-2012, 06:08 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of JC
Yep. We don't need to be looking at City. They've £#%&!ed up plenty and its up to us to stay focussed.

So good to see Vidic back in there and he was MOM for me.
this is what cost us last season. £#%&! them and keep our heads down and keep grinding out results if need be.

it's been no coincidence that saf has spent large part of the games stood on the touchline recently. it's almost as if he's reminding them that he's in charge of things and won't allow any lack of concentration.

Unread 29-12-2012, 06:10 PM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronics
bet the journo's are gutted we won this one!
Fregson having the craic with the lino. One step ahead.

Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe

it's been no coincidence that saf has spent large part of the games stood on the touchline recently. it's almost as if he's reminding them that he's in charge of things and won't allow any lack of concentration.
It's like he cares again!

Gruber

Quote:
this is what cost us last season. £#%&! them and keep our heads down and keep grinding out results if need be.

and your what does 20 mean to you thread

Unread 29-12-2012, 06:11 PM
Sloppy

Quote:
Nah hes just been harrasing the 4th official and linesmen.

Unread 29-12-2012, 06:12 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruber
and your what does 20 mean to you thread
I'll be starting the same thread this season if we're 8 clear with 4 to go

Unread 29-12-2012, 06:13 PM
Crumps

Quote:
He did, but it all feels so laborious when he is on the ball, all graft, no craft. He has picked up a little in the last 2 matches, at this rate he might look like a winger again sometime in May.
Almost like he has been told to wait and make sure there is a ball on with players in situ before playing it, he never used to be this hesitant so it ends up with that stop start shit and them a smash across as a last resort when players aren't in a position to attack the ball. I like him and at his best he is very effective despite his limitations. Been pretty crap by his own standards but his saving grace is his work rate and how he links with and protects his right back. Fwiw I reckon he will play his way out of this slump.