United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 26-07-2018, 12:02 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Wouldn't mind seeing Mensah get a game tbh.
Mourinho will probably end up playing young there with shaw as left back.

Unread 26-07-2018, 12:02 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Ironic given that one of our only few successful signings in the last 4 years was Zlatan.

I don't care how old they are, would be nice if some of them would show something resembling top quality on a regular basis.
Agree. But less so if two years from now all their legs are gone but we have them on three more years' of contract.

I'd be happy with Alderweireld and another, but five near 30yo would be a bit mad.

Unread 26-07-2018, 12:09 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
I'd be happy with Alderweireld and another, but five near 30yo would be a bit mad.
Real Madrid team from CL Final

GK 1 Costa Rica Keylor Navas 31
RB 2 Spain Dani Carvajal
CB 5 France Raphaël Varane
CB 4 Spain Sergio Ramos (c) 32
LB 12 Brazil Marcelo 30
CM 10 Croatia Luka Modrić 32
CM 14 Brazil Casemiro
CM 8 Germany Toni Kroos
AM 22 Spain Isco
CF 9 France Karim Benzema 30
CF 7 Portugal Cristiano Ronaldo 33

Varane the youngest btw - 25

The age thing is a nonsense. Quality is all that matters. We don't have enough.

Unread 26-07-2018, 12:12 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley

RB 2 Spain Dani Carvajal
LB 12 Brazil Marcelo 30
CM 14 Brazil Casemiro
CM 8 Germany Toni Kroos
AM 22 Spain Isco

yeah but what did they get apart from winning 3 champions league titles on the trot?

Pffft. No thanks. I'd much rather have some 20 year olds learning on the job please.

Unread 26-07-2018, 12:12 AM
Whalefish

I said elsewhere I'm not too fussed re age profile - more quality and the right attitude at the minute, United are lacking both. However 4 or 5 in one window pushing 30 would be ****, and I'm not convinced that's what JM wants anyway given the two outfield players that have arrived already.

Nothing happening re that other Croatian winger? He looked good at the WC.

Unread 26-07-2018, 12:16 AM
£#%&! KFC

Quote:
Wouldn't mind seeing Mensah get a game tbh.
me too.........preferably for Watford

Quote:
yeah but what did they get apart from winning 3 champions league titles on the trot?

Pffft. No thanks. I'd much rather have some 20 year olds learning on the job please.

Unread 26-07-2018, 12:16 AM
Ethers

Are people deliberately ignoring the fact we have four, five and sometimes six 29+ starters already, or are you just being thick?

Unread 26-07-2018, 12:18 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Are people deliberately ignoring the fact we have four, five and sometimes six 29+ starters already, or are you just being thick?
I'm ignoring it. can't speak for the others.

Unread 26-07-2018, 12:19 AM
Whalefish

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrick_16
Quote:
I'm ignoring it. can't speak for the others.
This.

Unread 26-07-2018, 12:21 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Point being age is largely irrelevant if the quality is there

We have an ageing team that's low on quality

WATTBA

Unread 26-07-2018, 12:23 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:

RB 2 Spain Dani Carvajal
LB 12 Brazil Marcelo 30
CM 14 Brazil Casemiro
CM 8 Germany Toni Kroos
AM 22 Spain Isco

An old team like that can win a final tbf.

It can also end up 17 points behind Barca and finish 3rd in a two-horse race.

Besides, if Mou got his five you'd be talking about, what, eight of our line up being 30 odd?

Unread 26-07-2018, 12:23 AM
Big Norm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
Fosu Mensah, Dalot or Darmian can fill in
Dalot is out until September and Darmian is shit.

Big Tim it is then.

Unread 26-07-2018, 03:14 AM
utd99

Quote:
Good.

Never thought I'd say this but I'm with the board. This £#%&!er would replace Rashford with Glenn Murray given half the chance.
McClair, Bruce, Anderson, Leighton, Hughes, Webb, Phelan, Ince, Pallister, Wallace. First two and a half years.

Hated youth did Fergie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Norm
According to twitter, Valencia is out for 6 weeks with a calf problem.
Good

Unread 26-07-2018, 05:00 AM
shenwen

Quote:
Point being age is largely irrelevant if the quality is there

We have an ageing team that's low on quality

WATTBA
I’ll take 11 players over 29 if they actually £#%&!ing played some good football and won now and again. Or do people think a team of youngsters under Mou would be playing scintillating football?

Unread 26-07-2018, 11:01 AM
20LEgend1999

Could look at the Real Madrid final team that row the third in the row (unchanged from the previous seasons starting 11 I think) another way, I don't think it's as simple as "old players can win stuff". Instead it shows the merits of signing players at a younger age and developing them into the first team. The continuity was key to their success IMO, a settled squad. You don't get that by plugging 30 year olds in for a couple of years, despite the short-term benefits a player like Zlatan may have brought.

That doesn't mean that signing an experienced player is automatically an issue.

These are the ages that Madrid's Champion's League final starting 11 were signed at.

GK 1 Costa Rica Keylor Navas 27
RB 2 Spain Dani Carvajal 21
CB 5 France Raphaël Varane 18
CB 4 Spain Sergio Ramos (c) 19
LB 12 Brazil Marcelo 19
CM 10 Croatia Luka Modrić 26
CM 14 Brazil Casemiro 21
CM 8 Germany Toni Kroos 24
AM 22 Spain Isco 21
CF 9 France Karim Benzema 21
CF 7 Portugal Cristiano Ronaldo 24

Hopefully the balance can be found, because there has at least been some attempt to sign players for the future by Mourinho, even if they haven't all worked out. I think that team shows the benefit of signing players before their prime, and allowing them to develop into not only the most experienced players at the club, but also the players with the experience of the club.

Unread 26-07-2018, 06:32 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20LEgend1999
Could look at the Real Madrid final team that row the third in the row (unchanged from the previous seasons starting 11 I think) another way, I don't think it's as simple as "old players can win stuff". Instead it shows the merits of signing players at a younger age and developing them into the first team. The continuity was key to their success IMO, a settled squad. You don't get that by plugging 30 year olds in for a couple of years, despite the short-term benefits a player like Zlatan may have brought.

These are the ages that Madrid's Champion's League final starting 11 were signed at.

LB 12 Brazil Marcelo 19
CM 14 Brazil Casemiro 21
AM 22 Spain Isco 21

Hopefully the balance can be found, because there has at least been some attempt to sign players for the future by Mourinho, even if they haven't all worked out. I think that team shows the benefit of signing players before their prime, and allowing them to develop into not only the most experienced players at the club, but also the players with the experience of the club.
Absolutely spot on. I was going to make a similar point but you put it better. They haven't signed loads of old players; they signed loads of talent at great ages which has helped them build a team. But even with that they now realise they have let it get a little bit old.

Fortunately for them they'll be able to cherry-pick young talent again to refresh the squad post-Ronaldo.

Unread 26-07-2018, 11:00 PM
dunk

Thumbs up

Quote:

LB 12 Brazil Marcelo 19
CM 14 Brazil Casemiro 21
AM 22 Spain Isco 21

What. A. Post.

Unread 27-07-2018, 12:01 AM
Cream

Quote:

LB 12 Brazil Marcelo 19
CM 14 Brazil Casemiro 21
AM 22 Spain Isco 21

Damn, not one player who came up through their youth system?

Sad to see folk applauding such an anti United strategy.

Unread 27-07-2018, 12:21 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:

LB 12 Brazil Marcelo 19
CM 14 Brazil Casemiro 21
AM 22 Spain Isco 21

£3 you #@&%!

Unread 27-07-2018, 09:57 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream
Damn, not one player who came up through their youth system?

Sad to see folk applauding such an anti United strategy.
Had a few on the bench IIRC, who will come into the team now some of those have moved on or gotten old..
Closed Thread