United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 25-10-2007, 09:52 AM
dunk

Default van Persie in the mail today...

we don't drive the best cars but we play the best football....

I know they play good football, this cannot be denied, but the claim they play the best football I can't understand. It was an argument I kept hearing last season as well, surely the best football is entertaining, exciting, effective and easy on the eye all at the same time, something that Arsenal can only really claim to be true of their football this season, and only about 15 games at that, where as we were the epitome of the description all last season, in every competition and despite a slow start to this season, are fast reaching the same level before going beyond.

How do they come up with the self satisfied claim that their football is the best?

Unread 25-10-2007, 09:54 AM
ScholesScoresGoals2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk

I know they play good football, this cannot be denied, but the claim they play the best football I can't understand. It was an argument I kept hearing last season as well, surely the best football is entertaining, exciting, effective and easy on the eye all at the same time, something that Arsenal can only really claim to be true of their football this season, and only about 15 games at that, where as we were the epitome of the description all last season, in every competition and despite a slow start to this season, are fast reaching the same level before going beyond.

How do they come up with the self satisfied claim that their football is the best?
For a neutral they do play the nest football at the moment, no doubts about that. NFT

Unread 25-10-2007, 09:59 AM
Gakbu

Quote:
My heart bleeds for these starving artists ...

Unread 25-10-2007, 10:00 AM
jatin2

Agree whole heartedly. From chairmen down they all brag about the pure football they play yet in all our games against them over the past few years they have packed the defence/midfield hoping to sneak a one goal win. Nothing more than flat track bullies who will put on a show against a mediocre team but then fail to turn up when it matters. Clearly Wenger learnt nothing from the over hyped Incredibles team.

Unread 25-10-2007, 10:23 AM
Fountz

Default Because it's their angle.. their USP..

Quote:
..it's also their excuse ready and waiting for when they £#%&! up.. and they're just pious smug £#%&!ers..

Get sick of all this elevating football to an art form nonsense..

Yep I like a Cruyff turn as much as the next guy, but it's got to serve a purpose and buy the player time and space to deliver either a killer cross or a shot.. it isn't suffice in itself.. This is what used to frustrate me about Giggs and even Ronaldo [SIZE="1"]( not so much now.. very impressed with him against Kiev )

and..

I'll tell you .. I like a marauding run down the wing, followed by a whipped in cross with pace, to be met by a bullet header into the top corner..

..to me, as beautiful as any pinball-like inter-play leading to someone maybe just maybe walking the ball into the net.

Unread 25-10-2007, 10:25 AM
Fountz

Default Excellent post..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatin2
Agree whole heartedly. From chairmen down they all brag about the pure football they play yet in all our games against them over the past few years they have packed the defence/midfield hoping to sneak a one goal win. Nothing more than flat track bullies who will put on a show against a mediocre team but then fail to turn up when it matters. Clearly Wenger learnt nothing from the over hyped Incredibles team.
..and well observed.

More from you please..

..if you're not already posting under another name ?

Unread 25-10-2007, 10:38 AM
dunk

Arsenal play 10 passes along the ground create a chance and score, beautiful to watch, I agree.

However, we play 3 passes, front to back, create a chance and score, every bit as beautiful in my opinion and possibly more breathtaking because of the speed and simplicity.

Simple football is so often looked down upon when it is often the most beautiful and effective.

Unread 25-10-2007, 10:42 AM
Fountz

Quote:
Simple football is so often looked down upon when it is often the most beautiful and effective.
Agree.

I actually prefer watching United ( when on form ) Away.. in devasting counter-attack mode.. sucking teams in then killing them with pace..

..hence my winger/cross/header/goal analogy..

Unread 25-10-2007, 10:44 AM
n48

I think the Fabregas end to end goal was described by someone on the tele as one of the greatest goals they've ever seen. If Arsenal had scored that one that we scored last season where we broke from an opponent's corner and Rooney/Ronaldo interchanged at pace - what would the media have said then?

Unread 25-10-2007, 10:45 AM
Gog Coch

Quote:
Arsenal play 10 passes along the ground create a chance and score, beautiful to watch, I agree.

However, we play 3 passes, front to back, create a chance and score, every bit as beautiful in my opinion and possibly more breathtaking because of the speed and simplicity.

Not when Scholes is playing

Unread 25-10-2007, 10:47 AM
BryanRobson'sLiver

Whilst i do enjoy watching arsenal from a neutral standpoint I think the football that we played last season was pretty beautiful for most of it and we won the league too. Looking at arsenal under wenger they have played some lovely football on and off for best part of a decade now but considering some of the turgid 1-0 shite that the £#%&!ers ground out for many meany years previous then by the laws of karma the world of football deserves at least a bit of sparkle from them.

Unread 25-10-2007, 10:48 AM
SilverSurfer

What galls is their fans' smug and self-appointed status as arbiters of The Beautiful Game. Before Wenger they were the most horrible boring team imaginable. To place themselves as Keepers of The Faith is nauseating.

Unread 25-10-2007, 10:52 AM
dontfeedthescousers

Quote:

£#%&!ers the lot of them.

Unread 25-10-2007, 11:16 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by n48
I think the Fabregas end to end goal was described by someone on the tele as one of the greatest goals they've ever seen. If Arsenal had scored that one that we scored last season where we broke from an opponent's corner and Rooney/Ronaldo interchanged at pace - what would the media have said then?
What about Rooney and Tevez at Villa at the weeken that resulted in the penalty. That was as good a bit of football as I've seen this season, just unlucky at the end. It barely got a mention.

Unread 25-10-2007, 11:24 AM
Mr_Ed

As Arsene Wenger once pointed out - every man thinks he has the most beautiful wife at home

I do think they play some good stuff but on our day I think we play some better stuff - the first half against Kiev was great stuff... There's no point playing the 'sexiest' football if you're not scoring...

Unread 25-10-2007, 11:57 AM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:

Can i return him to sender the cockney @#%&!?

Unread 25-10-2007, 11:59 AM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
As Arsene Wenger once pointed out - every man thinks he has the most beautiful wife at home

I do think they play some good stuff but on our day I think we play some better stuff - the first half against Kiev was great stuff... There's no point playing the 'sexiest' football if you're not scoring...
I am being a pedantic @#%&! but it was 'everyone'. Nft

Unread 25-10-2007, 12:03 PM
Winston Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by n48
I seem to remember Leonardo lauding that Rooney goal up on BBC. Interesting, since I thought Arsenal played the 'Brazilian way'.

Class goal.

Unread 25-10-2007, 01:32 PM
Rhodzy

Didn't Johann Cruyff we are the closest to total football in europe?

Unread 25-10-2007, 01:34 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodzy
Didn't Johann Cruyff we are the closest to total football in europe?
I dunno, but I know he's a bit of a fan.
Closed Thread