United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 07-10-2018, 03:21 PM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangared
But Jose was responsible for the way we went 2-0 down to begin with. Totally agree with Shearer when he said our defence looks so shit because Mourinho has drained their confidence with his constant criticism of them .
Despite buying 2 CB’s to add to the 4 we already had he has played Herrera & The Scottish Player, both disastrously, at CB this season . That same defence last season was second only to City’s in fewest goals conceded
don't disagree with a lot of that and i'm not saying mourinho is blameless this season. i just don't see what sacking him will achieve? it's not going to change the structure of the club and the new guy (who will that be, btw?) will face the same problems mourinho has, but will also want to bring in his own players/staff etc.

if we sack him now, we'll be here again in 2 years time saying the same things. woodward/the glazers are the biggest problem at the club, not the manager.

Unread 07-10-2018, 03:22 PM
Clownbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
You can get away with it for so long but time beats everyone - Valencia and Young are two old wingers who are only going to get worse now. They're both in their mid 30s and should no way be starting for us every week. How the hell have we ended up with these two taking it turns to produce shite performances every week?

Watching that bloke turn young for the first goal (i'm not going to pretend I know who he was) and just cooly slot home was like one of those FIFA playstation goals where you're pressing tackle and for some reason your defender does nothing. The 2nd was even worse. 4 touches the @#%&! had in our 6 yard box. Absolutely woeful.

If it wasn't Newcastle, we wouldn't have won. We won because they shit their pants. Mourinho will be gone before december NQAT.

Unfortunately it's going to take the entire season going down the £#%&!ing Khazi for that to happen.
Completely agreed.

We get away with Young and Valencia because we've accepted 'ok' as the standard. Because we've been so bereft of players actually steeping up in recent years, we are quick to praise the likes of them when they are willing to work hard and adapt to do a decent job.

But that's all it is: A decent job. Its nowhere near good enough and as long as we continue to accept this as the standard, we won't improve.

Unread 07-10-2018, 03:27 PM
Kangared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Duckworth
don't disagree with a lot of that and i'm not saying mourinho is blameless this season. i just don't see what sacking him will achieve? it's not going to change the structure of the club and the new guy (who will that be, btw?) will face the same problems mourinho has, but will also want to bring in his own players/staff etc.

if we sack him now, we'll be here again in 2 years time saying the same things. woodward/the glazers are the biggest problem at the club, not the manager.
I agree there is no point sacking him, particularly with no obvious & available replacement but he needs to accept he is responsible for a lot of the problems within the team. Even his comments after last nights win will have damaged the confidence of Rashford even more than it already was

Unread 07-10-2018, 03:31 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
I agree there is no point sacking him, particularly with no obvious & available replacement but he needs to accept he is responsible for a lot of the problems within the team. Even his comments after last nights win will have damaged the confidence of Rashford even more than it already was
Who gives a £#%&! about rashford. If were the manager that #@&%! would be on heading practice for 5 hours on Monday. Showed all the heading technique of a £#%&!ing woman footballer yesterday and if it were anyone else they'd have gotten crucified on here, but because it's the prodigal son everyone says £#%&! all.

People give it to Young and Valencia and rightly so but Rashford being given the no10 shirt and having over 100 appearances to his name is equally a barometer of how far we've fallen. 10 years ago, he'd be on loan somwhere and then have ended up at stoke.

Unread 07-10-2018, 03:36 PM
Kangared

Quote:
Who gives a £#%&! about rashford. If were the manager that #@&%! would be on heading practice for 5 hours on Monday. Showed all the heading technique of a £#%&!ing woman footballer yesterday and if it were anyone else they'd have gotten crucified on here, but because it's the prodigal son everyone says £#%&! all.

People give it to Young and Valencia and rightly so but Rashford being given the no10 shirt and having over 100 appearances to his name is equally a barometer of how far we've fallen. 10 years ago, he'd be on loan somwhere and then have ended up at stoke.
Preaching to the converted here pal, I got slaughtered on here last season for saying I’d take 70 million for him in a heartbeat , was just using him as an example of Mou not helping with the confidence

Unread 07-10-2018, 03:46 PM
My Name is Keith

Quote:

I’d be interested in seeing rashford under a different manager - one who instills confidence rather than destroys it. But I admit, he’s not good enough at the moment and he needs to turn it round pdq. I’d be interested in seeing young and Valencia at different clubs. I hope they never play for United ever ever again.

Quote:
Preaching to the converted here pal, I got slaughtered on here last season for saying I’d take 70 million for him in a heartbeat , was just using him as an example of Mou not helping with the confidence
Who gives a £#%&! how much mufc plc get?

Unread 07-10-2018, 03:48 PM
Clownbones

Quote:
I'm sorry, but £#%&! his confidence. You wanna build some confidence and momentum, try heading in simple chances from 4 yards out.

Rashford is getting chances and £#%&!ing up royally.

Jose's weren't criticism for criticism sake. He was talking generally about the confidence in the camp and mentioned Rashford as an example of that. There was no criticism of him.

Martial, Mata and Sanchez have all had criticism or an issue with the manager at some point too....all stepped up and did their job in the end last night.

Unread 07-10-2018, 05:36 PM
utd99

Sick of his antics tbh. That shit he pulled walking off yesterday.

You’d need to be a psychiatrist to get to the bottom of why he needs to create factions and feel persecuted wherever he goes, but who can be bothered? He’s mentally unstable, and that’s the opposite of what we need. Shame really, because he’s got it in him to be a great manager, as he’s proved in other positions, but the baggage is just too much.

He talks up the club, but who’s he trying to kid? Everything is about him....everything.

Unread 07-10-2018, 05:51 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownbones
I'm sorry, but £#%&! his confidence. You wanna build some confidence and momentum, try heading in simple chances from 4 yards out.

Rashford is getting chances and £#%&!ing up royally.

Jose's weren't criticism for criticism sake. He was talking generally about the confidence in the camp and mentioned Rashford as an example of that. There was no criticism of him.

Martial, Mata and Sanchez have all had criticism or an issue with the manager at some point too....all stepped up and did their job in the end last night.
Rashford scored a great goal last weekend and was the only real threat late on against Valencia. He steps up plenty.

He's a brilliant talent. In fact one of the reasons Mourinho has to go is because he will never nurture such talent. We have this boy Greenwood in the ranks who appears to be a bit special, but what's the point if the road to the first team is so long and arduous.

Unread 07-10-2018, 06:02 PM
Clownbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Rashford scored a great goal last weekend and was the only real threat late on against Valencia. He steps up plenty.

He's a brilliant talent. In fact one of the reasons Mourinho has to go is because he will never nurture such talent. We have this boy Greenwood in the ranks who appears to be a bit special, but what's the point if the road to the first team is so long and arduous.
If by plenty you mean with that consolation last week, then yes he did.

He worked hard against Valencia, but was poor. He works hard, can't fault him for that, but I fear he's not working hard in the sense of actually working for the team. He runs into blind alleys a lot and shoots from ridiculous positions a lot. Then there's chances like last night. Two very bad misses. Apart from one or two, nobody has the luxury of starting every week and he needs to do more with his chances.

I don't for a moment think Jose is the right manager for him but that doesn't mean he's above criticism or that he is doing enough with the chances he gets.

They both need to do more.

Unread 07-10-2018, 06:03 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:

Not in terms of player relations, or approach to football, which are two of the biggest issues Mourinho has. Those things are both specific to Mourinho and nothing to do with Woodward, the Glazers or anybody else. They are his own shortcomings.

I don't blame Mou for Smalling, Young not being good enough. Perhaps he should have better options by now, but it's not easy to get players of the requisite quality and personality. But Mou is to blame for a shapeless, demotivated side playing well below its potential. We have seen several times in 2018 that the quality is there in this side but it often takes them going behind to draw it out.

That always reflects poorly on the manager.

Quote:
If by plenty you mean with that consolation last week, then yes he did.

He worked hard against Valencia, but was poor. He works hard, can't fault him for that, but I fear he's not working hard in the sense of actually working for the team. He runs into blind alleys a lot and shoots from ridiculous positions a lot. Then there's chances like last night. Two very bad misses. Apart from one or two, nobody has the luxury of starting every week and he needs to do more with his chances.

I don't for a moment think Jose is the right manager for him but that doesn't mean he's above criticism or that he is doing enough with the chances he gets.
He gets on the end of chances because he's being aggressive and making things happen. I honestly prefer someone working hard and missing chances to a striker who is basically static and largely anonymous for 90 minutes when you need him. Not naming names etc.

Unread 07-10-2018, 06:43 PM
My Name is Keith

Quote:
Not in terms of player relations, or approach to football, which are two of the biggest issues Mourinho has. Those things are both specific to Mourinho and nothing to do with Woodward, the Glazers or anybody else. They are his own shortcomings.

I don't blame Mou for Smalling, Young not being good enough. Perhaps he should have better options by now, but it's not easy to get players of the requisite quality and personality. But Mou is to blame for a shapeless, demotivated side playing well below its potential. We have seen several times in 2018 that the quality is there in this side but it often takes them going behind to draw it out.

etc.
This. It certainly isn’t all on mou and perhaps part of the reason for him being sacked, if and when he does, is that this tenure, more than the other two before it, has shone on a spotlight on the whole sorry behind the scenes mess. A better manager getting better results hides a million sins - see Fergie.

Bottom line is we’ve got a team low on confidence, looking disjointed and badly coached with no discernible playing style. That’s on mou and I’m confident a different manager ie Poch could get this lot playing a better tune. They’ll never be world beaters though - as long as we have young, Valencia, Lukaku, smalling Jones etc

Unread 07-10-2018, 06:52 PM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:
Not in terms of player relations, or approach to football, which are two of the biggest issues Mourinho has.
well he probably will do - moyes, lvg and mourinho have all had problems in those areas.

i'm not sure who this mystical person is who is going to come in and wave a magic wand to suddenly get rid of all our problems. the club is ill; the manager is just a symptom.

Unread 07-10-2018, 06:54 PM
Clownbones

Quote:

He gets on the end of chances because he's being aggressive and making things happen. I honestly prefer someone working hard and missing chances to a striker who is basically static and largely anonymous for 90 minutes when you need him. Not naming names etc.
You mean like the chance he missed in the first half, where Lukaku cut inside two players to cross perfectly for him?

I'm not accusing him of not getting on the end of things or going hiding.... but he needs to work at his game and he needs to do the basics. Take simple chances. Deliver a corner that beats the first man. Stop running into blind alleys. Stuff like that.

He has to take some responsibility for his performances.

He's done it before. Liverpool at home last season. Needs to do it more.

Unread 07-10-2018, 07:06 PM
andyroo

Quote:
well he probably will do - moyes, lvg and mourinho have all had problems in those areas.

i'm not sure who this mystical person is who is going to come in and wave a magic wand to suddenly get rid of all our problems. the club is ill; the manager is just a symptom.
The problems Siders refers to are problems Mou-Mou has had in recent times regardless of the club he's at. If they've exacerbated the other problems we have, that surely damns him further as an unsuitable appointment in the first place.

Who can handle us is the million euro question obviously. But Mourinho is a poor choice. Because he picks fights everywhere he goes, and his football is negative.

Unread 07-10-2018, 07:06 PM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
The problems Siders refers to are problems Mou-Mou has had in recent times regardless of the club he's at. If they've exacerbated the other problems we have, that surely damns him further as an unsuitable appointment in the first place.

Who can handle us is the million euro question obviously. But Mourinho is a poor choice. Because he picks fights everywhere he goes, and his football is negative.
the press conferences aren't even funny either

Unread 07-10-2018, 07:13 PM
Skidsteer.

It would be good if Jose Mourinho turned the bad form around, I will support the best when ever the future has. I we will beat Chelsea we will roll forward come on United

Unread 07-10-2018, 07:30 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Keith

Bottom line is we’ve got a team low on confidence, looking disjointed and badly coached with no discernible playing style.
But apart from that....

WATCH OUT JUVE!

Unread 07-10-2018, 07:46 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
You mean like the chance he missed in the first half, where Lukaku cut inside two players to cross perfectly for him?

I'm not accusing him of not getting on the end of things or going hiding.... but he needs to work at his game and he needs to do the basics. Take simple chances. Deliver a corner that beats the first man. Stop running into blind alleys. Stuff like that.

He has to take some responsibility for his performances.

He's done it before. Liverpool at home last season. Needs to do it more.
Every player needs to take some responsibility, albeit it's clear that the overall structure is £#%&!ed. But you mentioned the other players who stepped up last night. They were nowhere against Valencia while Rashford was the one giving them problems. This time they stepped up, but I'd back him to go down fighting more than most of those you mentioned.

His strikers instinct is curbed by the fact he isn't trusted as a striker. With England he took his chances.

Unread 07-10-2018, 07:53 PM
Clownbones

Quote:
Every player needs to take some responsibility, albeit it's clear that the overall structure is £#%&!ed. But you mentioned the other players who stepped up last night. They were nowhere against Valencia while Rashford was the one giving them problems. This time they stepped up, but I'd back him to go down fighting more than most of those you mentioned.

His strikers instinct is curbed by the fact he isn't trusted as a striker. With England he took his chances.
He didnt step up against Valencia, Siders. He was ok. Nothing more.

Mata, Martial and Sanchez all showed quality when we really needed it.

Rashford didn't.

Sure, there are times when they haven't too.... but we are talking about last night and Rashford didn't do it. He also didn't against Leicester when he started up front and he got himself needlessly sent off at Burnley and jeopardised our comfortable position.

Martial has worked harder and made himself more effective in recent weeks.

Again, you're talking about fight. I'm not questioning his desire. I'm questioning his capacity to improve off his own back and to take these chances with a proper contribution to the team.

In general, he is poor when he plays. Simple as that. As are many others and they also get stuck. Rashford seems to get off a little more lightly. I have sympathy for him, but this is his fourth season now and he needs to mature and make better use of his (albeit limited) chances.

We made the same sorts of excuses for Danny Welbeck. He is now about 28 and going absolutely nowhere.

I don't want the same for Rahsford.
Closed Thread