United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 13-05-2016, 08:00 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Why do they have to be mutually exclusive? When you intentionally leave everything up to the player's interpretation on the pitch (as van gaal says he does) and they continually £#%&! it up, wouldn't you think maybe its time to use a different approach?

You can explain away players doing things like a bad backpass that leads to a goal - or a freak own goal as bad decisions. But when your defensive line looks like a graphic equaliser on a 1980s stereo then it's time to £#%&!ing have a word
basically that's spot on, but...

the issue is that smalling doesn't open his mouth (nor does de gea as it goes but that's a separate problem)...

for example, on the equaliser if smalling tells rashford, who is right next to him, to step up then blind steps up as well because he is the back man. as it was smalling didn't even do his own job never mind organise the novice next to him, and so when noble shoves rashford out at the last split second then blind is stranded - remember blind has zero chance of being heard on the other side of the box by rashford.

van gaal cannot teach that communication though, because first smalling has to be able to see it and understand it in real time. he's nowhere near there tbh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Redface
Seeing what you want to see again.
i'm commenting on a factual matter that is uncontested by the player or his club.

Unread 13-05-2016, 08:06 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Why do they have to be mutually exclusive? When you intentionally leave everything up to the player's interpretation on the pitch (as van gaal says he does) and they continually £#%&! it up, wouldn't you think maybe its time to use a different approach?

You can explain away players doing things like a bad backpass that leads to a goal - or a freak own goal as bad decisions. But when your defensive line looks like a graphic equaliser on a 1980s stereo then it's time to £#%&!ing have a word
That's not quite what happens. He expects them to learn. When he says he lets them figure it out he means he's not stood on the touchline shouting things they won't be able to hear. He goes through things methodically for hours after games. If they're smart enough, they'll learn and their intuition and recognition of patterns and mistakes will improve. If they're thick, it's harder.

Unread 13-05-2016, 08:08 PM
Venceremos

It's a strange one Throb. Here I agree with Uefa's "2 or more" rule and wouldn't want a stricter system but at the same time find it hard to see their win as 100% legitimate with the Sakho thing... probably because of how much a key player he was.

Unread 13-05-2016, 09:45 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
basically that's spot on, but...

the issue is that smalling doesn't open his mouth (nor does de gea as it goes but that's a separate problem)...

for example, on the equaliser if smalling tells rashford, who is right next to him, to step up then blind steps up as well because he is the back man. as it was smalling didn't even do his own job never mind organise the novice next to him, and so when noble shoves rashford out at the last split second then blind is stranded - remember blind has zero chance of being heard on the other side of the box by rashford.

van gaal cannot teach that communication though, because first smalling has to be able to see it and understand it in real time. he's nowhere near there tbh.

i'm commenting on a factual matter that is uncontested by the player or his club.
Exactly.

Unread 13-05-2016, 10:17 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venceremos
It's a strange one Throb. Here I agree with Uefa's "2 or more" rule and wouldn't want a stricter system but at the same time find it hard to see their win as 100% legitimate with the Sakho thing... probably because of how much a key player he was.
I would like to know how many liverpool players were dope tested after each game the club has played this season. I would put any amount of money you like that it has not been at least 3 players after each game. it seems that the system is designed so that a team cannot be punished. I also do not understand how he can fail a dope test on 17 march and still play both legs of the next round before it is noticed/announced. imagine e that next round had been the final and he scored the winner...
Closed Thread