United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 18-05-2008, 11:55 PM
Sparky***

Default So what striker should United be looking to sign in the summer?

I think we all agree that it's the area of the squad which desperately needs adding to. Saha is looking like he's off - so who should we add?

IMO, these would be the serious candidates...

Karim Benzema Lyon

Has everything that United would be looking for. Pace, power and can score from any distance. Also has great ability running with the ball. Scored 20 goals in 36 league games for Lyon. Is very young also at just 20 years of age. Only problem would be the price, Lyon would probably want in excess of £25 million for him.

Klaas-Jan Huntelaar Ajax

Completely different type of striker to Benzema. A penalty box predator with an impeccable goal record in dutch football. 34 goals in 46 appearances for Heerenveen and 70 goals in 82 games for Ajax. Very dangerous from free kicks as well. A fair bit older than Benzema at 24 years old, but will definitely be looking to leave Ajax this summer as they haven't qualified for the Champions League. Will probably come cheaper than Benzema, but not far short of £15-20 million.

Dimitar Berbatov Tottenham Hotspur

By far the most obviously talented of the candidates so far. Silky player which Ferguson would very much like at Old Trafford and one you could say which would fit in at United with minimal fuss. Only problems are surrounding his attitude. His laid back demeanour could almost be taken for laziness at times and obviously has a huge ego. Goals return also needs to be better, but you would expect more chances to score at United. Price tag is likely to big astronomical though with Spurs probably asking for around £25 - 30 million.

David Villa Sanchez Valencia

Probably the least likely of the candidates so far. Very quick, skillful without being especially big in size. Great finishing ability and has a decent goals return of 58 goals in 101 games for Valencia, who have had a terrible season by their standards. If I were a betting man though, I'd say he'll end up at Liverpool or Madrid. 24 years of age so he's not exactly a youngster. Also think that the price tag would be the cheapest out of the list so far.

Unread 19-05-2008, 12:02 AM
Stone Monkey

Thumbs up

Klaas-Jan Huntelaar

Unread 19-05-2008, 12:03 AM
Sloppy

Villa

Unread 19-05-2008, 12:03 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Monkey
Klaas-Jan Huntelaar
For me, I wouldn't be looking beyond the first 2.

Unread 19-05-2008, 12:05 AM
The Watcher

Benzema will be one of the best players in the world in a few years. Pay £25 million for him now...in a few years he'll be worth twice that amount, probably more. If he shows any interest in joining United, the club must do everything possible to ensure he signs.

Unread 19-05-2008, 12:14 AM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
Benzema will be one of the best players in the world in a few years. Pay £25 million for him now...in a few years he'll be worth twice that amount, probably more. If he shows any interest in joining United, the club must do everything possible to ensure he signs.
yup. i'm afraid there will be quite a long queue of clubs desperate to sign him, though: chelsea (if drogba goes), barca (if eto'o goes), milan, possibly juve, madrid and city.

Unread 19-05-2008, 12:17 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
yup. i'm afraid there will be quite a long queue of clubs desperate to sign him, though: chelsea (if drogba goes), barca (if eto'o goes), milan, possibly juve, madrid and city.
it's that list which makes me think we may be just as well going for Huntelaar.

Chelsea will blow any bid we make for Benzema out of the water.

Unread 19-05-2008, 12:18 AM
Rhodzy

Who I want? Benzema but thats extremely unlikely. Villa is nailed on for move to Madrid too.
I wouldn't be fussed if we kept what we got, especially with Campbell coming back from an excellent loan spell and Manucho who looks very interesting indeed.

Unread 19-05-2008, 12:20 AM
Grimson

I watch the Eredivisie and can't emphasize enough how poor the bottom 2/3rds of the league are. They are about League 1 standard. Now there's nothing wrong with that, but it means that Huntelaar's amazing goals tally may not be the greatest barometer of how he'd do in the Prem. You could say the same about Ruud, except that the Eredivise has got worse in recent years, for whatever reason.

So for me, I wouldn't be that excited to see Huntelaar come to OT.

Unread 19-05-2008, 12:20 AM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodzy
Who I want? Benzema but thats extremely unlikely. Villa is nailed on for move to Madrid too.
I wouldn't be fussed if we kept what we got, especially with Campbell coming back from an excellent loan spell and Manucho who looks very interesting indeed.
We need an experienced striker though.

Unread 19-05-2008, 12:24 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodzy
Neither of them will be up to it.

Unread 19-05-2008, 12:30 AM
naes_sean

Bellion!

Unread 19-05-2008, 12:31 AM
Rhodzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky6899
Neither of them will be up to it.
Tevez and Rooney are first choice, no point in disrupting that unless we get a Benzema. Campbell could be very effective coming of the bench.

Unread 19-05-2008, 12:35 AM
Crumps

Default No Poll? Why the £#%&! not?

Pace, strength and ariel ability is what we need from our new forward.
Benzema = Class and would love him at United

Huntelaar = Very good at what he does but may be a little too one dimensional for the way we play although I wouldn't be gutted if we signed him.

Berbatov = Slapped arse who I wouldn't have in the team over Rooney or Tevez, will be dear as £#%&! and is pushing 30.

David Villa = For the right price yes

Saying that I'd have no problem if we went in to the season with Rooney, Tevez (holiday + proper pre season, providing he doesn't pork out), Manucho, Campbell, Saha (if we can't find anyone to buy him) and Wellbeck as our options.

Suprised Cavenaghi hasn't been mentioned or touted about tbh. Swap Mikky for him if they want him

Unread 19-05-2008, 06:14 AM
Coracao

It's between Huntelaar and Berbatov for me.

I don't think Benzema is realistic.

Unread 19-05-2008, 06:23 AM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
I watch the Eredivisie and can't emphasize enough how poor the bottom 2/3rds of the league are. They are about League 1 standard. Now there's nothing wrong with that, but it means that Huntelaar's amazing goals tally may not be the greatest barometer of how he'd do in the Prem. You could say the same about Ruud, except that the Eredivise has got worse in recent years, for whatever reason.

So for me, I wouldn't be that excited to see Huntelaar come to OT.
It is a poor league, but he is an exceptional finisher. Unlike Kezman, the last 'big' thing to come out of that league with a big reputation. I used to watch him and he missed sitters most weeks.

You can tell by even watching this video that the lad has something:

He's not as one dimensional as some want to try and make out either.

Unread 19-05-2008, 09:55 AM
Gazw649

Owen

Unread 19-05-2008, 10:03 AM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk

ARF

Unread 19-05-2008, 10:13 AM
Stickman

Emmanuel Adebayor

Nft

Unread 19-05-2008, 10:18 AM
antonin jablonsky

Not really, though Bunker Buster thinks he's world class????:shakehead:
Closed Thread