United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 24-10-2018, 09:28 AM
Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
This sums him up... the useless Belgian @#%&!. I really despair of the situation - give Sanchez a run at #9

https://twitter.com/btsportfootball/...249869312?s=21

Unread 24-10-2018, 09:31 AM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
I dunno. Faded a little in the World Cup when opposition got better. Undertook a smart tactical role against Brazil but he looked a lot less assured on the ball in the bigger games. Story of his United career in general. He's exposed at the highest level.

Eight games without a goal now.
Absolutely spot on.

The mentality is all wrong. Will never be a top striker.

Unread 24-10-2018, 09:31 AM
Clownbones

Quote:
I dunno. Faded a little in the World Cup when opposition got better. Undertook a smart tactical role against Brazil but he looked a lot less assured on the ball in the bigger games. Story of his United career in general. He's exposed at the highest level.

Eight games without a goal now.
He did, but so did Belgium as a team.

I'm no fan of his, don't get me wrong, but he's generally better for them. No goal in eight for us, with two for them sandwiched in.

Every attacking player we have is being compromised in this side.

Unread 24-10-2018, 09:34 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownbones
He did, but so did Belgium as a team.

I'm no fan of his, don't get me wrong, but he's generally better for them. No goal in eight for us, with two for them sandwiched in.

Every attacking player we have is being compromised in this side.
I thought that at the World Cup group phase. Look at him in a team that wants to play, felt he proved a point. But the latter games just made me think it's his problem as much as anything. I don't think any manager would make him a world-beater here tbh.

In fact I think most other top managers wouldn't have signed him. Even Mourinho binned him off once

Unread 24-10-2018, 09:38 AM
Clownbones

Quote:
I thought that at the World Cup group phase. Look at him in a team that wants to play, felt he proved a point. But the latter games just made me think it's his problem as much as anything. I don't think any manager would make him a world-beater here tbh.

In fact I think most other top managers wouldn't have signed him. Even Mourinho binned him off once
Don't disagree with that. I don't see a top level striker and never have.... but he's better than he's showing.

They all are.

It doesn't need to be mutually exclusive. He's sub-par and being compromised.

Unread 24-10-2018, 09:40 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownbones
Don't disagree with that. I don't see a top level striker and never have.... but he's better than he's showing.

They all are.

It doesn't need to be mutually exclusive. He's sub-par and being compromised.
True. Strikers need that confidence though and it doesn't totally surprise me it ebbing away from him as time goes on.

Would love a new manager to come in and put Rashford up front instead. Try and get something out of Sanchez and play Martial every week. Honestly think we could look a different side in no time.

Unread 24-10-2018, 09:41 AM
Buck

Part of the problem is he was so much bigger as a kid that he never had to work on his technical skills to gain an advantage. He could steamroll through. That enabled him to be ready for senior football at a young age but the gap between size and athleticism is narrowed and he lacks in finesse and speed of thought to compensate.

I don't think he's lazy. I think he is a just behind the wavelength of his team mates and therefore behind the play.

Unread 24-10-2018, 09:44 AM
Clownbones

Quote:
True. Strikers need that confidence though and it doesn't totally surprise me it ebbing away from him as time goes on.

Would love a new manager to come in and put Rashford up front instead. Try and get something out of Sanchez and play Martial every week. Honestly think we could look a different side in no time.
Yep.

The team as a whole is better than it's showing, even if it's flawed. Again, the two aren't mutually exclusive: The side can be flawed but do better.

You see what that forward line can do when they have their good spells. That needs to be built in to our play, not just a few reactive minutes when we go behind in games.

Unread 24-10-2018, 09:56 AM
Coracao

Would rather see Martial up front at the minute. The decision to not sign a striker in the summer was criminal. Not a chance Ferie wouldn't have signed one imo.

Unread 24-10-2018, 09:57 AM
windy waffles

Giuseppe Rossi is available on a free?

Bring him home.

Unread 24-10-2018, 09:58 AM
Cream

Quote:

Sanchez was injured or he might have done just that last night. At least that's what his post match comments implied.

Unread 24-10-2018, 10:13 AM
dunk

Quote:

Only problem with that being that Sanchez is even worse than Lukaku tbh.

Unread 24-10-2018, 10:22 AM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk

It really is this bad

Unread 24-10-2018, 10:31 AM
Cream

Quote:
But it might kill two birds with one stone.

Sanchez is shit out wide, so give him a run where he can be greedy and receive the ball more often. Gets Lukaku out of the team.

Unread 24-10-2018, 10:40 AM
windy waffles

He, genuinely, looked like a guy who had won a competition to play for United. Or that he was signed after convincing Jose he was George Weah's cousin like Ali Dia.

He was that bad. The worst performance I've ever seen from a striker in a United shirt.

Should be dropped immediately.

Unread 24-10-2018, 10:41 AM
jaffo

Quote:
That's quite some achievement from Sanchez, fair play to the lad

Unread 24-10-2018, 10:45 AM
Wellinever

We have four forwards who all want to play (think they can play) down the middle, Lukaku, Sanchez, Martial and Rashford;

no real wingers;

two possible No. 10's one (Lingard) who is all speed and running, the other all skill but no pace (Mata);

five midfielders, two tiny, too large, one Scotsman ;

five centre backs, of whom two or three seem permanently injured;

One defo improving LB, two converted wingers who play full back, one novice RB…

and a World Class Goalkeeper!

Are we playing up to our potential?

Unread 24-10-2018, 10:46 AM
Baron

There are lazy comparisons, and then there are lazy footballers who invite those comparisons. If Lukaku wants to be anything, he needs to develop at an Andy Cole rate & £#%&!ing soon. Being a goal scorer alone is utterly pointless for a side that needs more from every player. He honestly could become a player of genuine note if he wanted, a lot of hard work & top class coaching... but he's basically shown £#%&! all difference since he arrived.

We'd get the same money back for him that we paid imo, I'd be flogging him to whoever will pay it & go looking for someone that can trap a football first.

Unread 24-10-2018, 10:54 AM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron
There are lazy comparisons, and then there are lazy footballers who invite those comparisons. If Lukaku wants to be anything, he needs to develop at an Andy Cole rate & £#%&!ing soon. Being a goal scorer alone is utterly pointless for a side that needs more from every player. He honestly could become a player of genuine note if he wanted, a lot of hard work & top class coaching... but he's basically shown £#%&! all difference since he arrived.

We'd get the same money back for him that we paid imo, I'd be flogging him to whoever will pay it & go looking for someone that can trap a football first.
And what note would that be? He is a carthorse and will always be.

As for getting our money back Everton are probably the only team daft enough to spend that sort of money as none of the top teams would touch him, they obviously won't go near him nor would he want to accept that is his level. Probably on £250k a week so no-one could afford his wages at any rate, he will leave as a distressed asset, around £40m and we'll end up subsidising his wages until he ends up playing out his days in the Belgian non-league scene.

Unread 24-10-2018, 10:56 AM
Coracao

Same money we got for him? I think that is wildly optimistic. Don't see who would be in for him who could afford that.
Closed Thread