United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 15-03-2010, 12:06 AM
believe

Default Re: Beckham out of World Cup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Boy Ronaldo!
Hopefully, Rio, Carrick and Rooney will need a rest.
should get plenty.

Unread 15-03-2010, 12:07 AM
Pete's Shoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by koppas
A BIT of luck? £#%&!ing hell, you want a lot more than that...
I'm not suggesting they'd have won them but the hand of God in 86, Waddle hittin the post and then losin on penalties in 90 (all without best player who was injured), 98 Campbell's goal being disallowed in extra time and penalties again. 2002 Seaman being shit. Can't argue England haven't been unlucky .

Unread 15-03-2010, 12:08 AM
That Boy Ronaldo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
should get plenty.
I forgot Barry was in front of him

£#%&!ing hell even Gerrard has done nothing this year, yet gets picked.

Unread 15-03-2010, 12:08 AM
Grimson

Quote:
Was gonna post something similar - MLS won't be best pleased that their golden boy is £#%&!ed.
MLS players just voted to strike anyway.

Unread 15-03-2010, 12:10 AM
Pete's Shoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
2002?? Brazil totally outplayed us

As for the others, erm perhaps. Hand of God aside Argentina were easily the better team in 1986, four years later we may have been a tad unlucky in the SF but were *very* fortunate against Cameroon. 1998 has a better claim, tho' it is hard to see a team managed by Hoddle winning anything
Got to disagree there, England were very unlucky to lose that game.
As for Cameroon would have given everyone a game in that tournament. They beat Argentina who eventually made the final if memory serves

Unread 15-03-2010, 12:10 AM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete's Shoes
I'm not suggesting they'd have won them but the hand of God in 86, Waddle hittin the post and then losin on penalties in 90 (all without best player who was injured), 98 Campbell's goal being disallowed in extra time and penalties again. 2002 Seaman being shit. Can't argue England haven't been unlucky .
If any of those games had been the Final, you'd have a better argument.

Having said that, England really could win it this year IMO. Other teams have soft spots too, even Spain, with the back four vulnerable to pace.

Unread 15-03-2010, 12:11 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
MLS players just voted to strike anyway.
Over?

Unread 15-03-2010, 12:12 AM
Pete's Shoes

Quote:
If any of those games had been the Final, you'd have a better argument.

Having said that, England really could win it this year IMO. Other teams have soft spots too, even Spain, with the back four vulnerable to pace.
As i said in my post I'm not suggesting they'd have won it, just not had much luck at the big tournaments is all I'm saying.

Unread 15-03-2010, 12:17 AM
Grimson

Quote:
As i said in my post I'm not suggesting they'd have won it, just not had much luck at the big tournaments is all I'm saying.
Yeah fair enough, talk to the Dutch tho. Had to play two Finals against the host nation, one of which (Argentina 78) probably cheated to get there.

Unread 15-03-2010, 12:26 AM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Yeah fair enough, talk to the Dutch tho. Had to play two Finals against the host nation, one of which (Argentina 78) probably cheated to get there.
Yup. 1974 (along with 1954) is the classic example of the "wrong" team winning the trophy - what did those two have in common??

Unread 15-03-2010, 12:29 AM
magic_cantona

Gutted for Beckham.

Am going to have a piece of toast and go to bed now.

Peace.

Unread 15-03-2010, 12:31 AM
Grimson

Quote:
Yup. 1974 (along with 1954) is the classic example of the "wrong" team winning the trophy - what did those two have in common??
The 4?

Unread 15-03-2010, 12:35 AM
red in cumbria

Quote:
The 4?
Oh, very droll You know very well what I am getting at - though it has been argued that (W) Germany winning the first of those did that fledgling country quite a bit of good, and gave people something to be proud of for probably the first time post-Hitler

There is still *no* £#%&!ing way they were a better team than the Magnificent Magyars though

Unread 15-03-2010, 12:36 AM
jem

I don't get why beckham was even thought to be in the squad. good in the dressing room? take him along in a suit as £#%&!ing nutty dancer then. don't give him a £#%&!ing guitar.

my only concern about the world cup is whether rooney kills himself trying to lift that shit up by it's bootlaces.

Unread 15-03-2010, 12:42 AM
Grimson

Quote:
Oh, very droll You know very well what I am getting at - though it has been argued that (W) Germany winning the first of those did that fledgling country quite a bit of good, and gave people something to be proud of for probably the first time post-Hitler

There is still *no* £#%&!ing way they were a better team than the Magnificent Magyars though
True, they may not have been better, but they played the better tournament. It was genius of Germany to play a team of reserves the first time against Hungary. It meant they learned about their opponents, but their opponents didn't learn a thing.

Unread 15-03-2010, 01:17 AM
koppas

Collymore is a sad @#%&!. Doesn't do anything but tweet.

"StanCollymore

Feel your achiles.Do it now.(thick gristly rope that runs to your heel).Feel how thick it is.Imagine snapping itn two."

Unread 15-03-2010, 01:23 AM
Zorg

Quote:
Collymore is a sad @#%&!. Doesn't do anything but tweet.

"StanCollymore

Feel your achiles.Do it now.(thick gristly rope that runs to your heel).Feel how thick it is.Imagine snapping itn two."

Like Ulrika's arm.

Unread 15-03-2010, 01:24 AM
koppas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
Like Ulrika's arm.
I am sooo tempted to tweet that.

Unread 15-03-2010, 01:27 AM
red in cumbria

Quote:
2002 Seaman being shit. Can't argue England haven't been unlucky .
Well, players being shit doesn't *exactly* fit with bad luck in the eyes of most people, imho view

Unread 15-03-2010, 05:47 AM
Mr Wilkes

Gutted for the guy myself also i don"t think his name should be used in the same sentence as Stan Collymore
Closed Thread