United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 26-11-2015, 12:34 AM
jaffo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Is it entertainment or results you want?

Serious question to a few of you. Happy to be top of the league while not reaching top gear, as we will be this weekend, or want to see us play gung-ho and lose 5-3 to Leicester on the reg?

Not saying the two are mutually exclusive btw. But at the moment it feels a choice has to be made, for now. Shit or get off the pot.
Seriously. I don't get too bothered if we lose but being bored watching United is unacceptable imo and I was very bored in the second half tonight

Unread 26-11-2015, 12:35 AM
angrydimaria

Quote:

Serious question to a few of you. Happy to be top of the league while not reaching top gear, as we will be this weekend, or want to see us play gung-ho and lose 5-3 to Leicester on the reg?

Not saying the two are mutually exclusive btw. But at the moment it feels a choice has to be made, for now. Shit or get off the pot.
There were times we were boring under fergie but top of the league. But it felt like we deserved that. Going top now feels undeserved. anyways, not sure we are capable of winning at leicester.

Unread 26-11-2015, 12:43 AM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffo
Seriously. I don't get too bothered if we lose but being bored watching United is unacceptable imo and I was very bored in the second half tonight
That's fair enough, can understand that viewpoint.

Personally, wasn't bored at any point tonight. There wasn't much fluid football on display, but didn't feel dull either to me. PSV were always a threat going forward, atmosphere was decent, lot on the line in the game itself, quite an interesting line up.

Seen far worse under LVG tbh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrydimaria
There were times we were boring under fergie but top of the league. But it felt like we deserved that. Going top now feels undeserved. anyways, not sure we are capable of winning at leicester.
You can £#%&! off though you little bell.

Undeserved if we go top, but you enjoyed Moyes

Unread 26-11-2015, 12:46 AM
ScholesGingerSheen

Quote:

I'd settle for looking like we have a £#%&!ing clue what we're doing going forward for a full 90 minutes, Everton away is probably as close as we've got, otherwise we've been resolutely unconvincing but solid at the back.

We might make top of the league at weekend, but Leicester managed that this week, I wouldn't bet a carrot on us being there long term at the moment.

Ultimately the biggest issue is we don't really seem to be any further forward than last season, Memphis and Martial are both waning after exciting starts, it's like whoever LVG buys we play the same pedestrian shite, with Fellaini coming on to £#%&! things up completely whenever we need to chase a result. I don't see the progress.

If Moyes had played the football we played in his season but somehow managed to scrape 4th, would that have bought him another season playing the same football? I don't think it would.

Unread 26-11-2015, 12:51 AM
marlo

if we sign some attacking players and by players I obviously mean more than one that everyone is asking for.....

how many does players would that mean that lvg has signed in comparison to the number of players moyes we needed to sign....

Unread 26-11-2015, 12:56 AM
Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScholesGingerSheen
If Moyes had played the football we played in his season but somehow managed to scrape 4th, would that have bought him another season playing the same football? I don't think it would.
What makes you think the glazers give 2 £#%&!s what the style of football is like? All they care about is making money.

Unread 26-11-2015, 12:59 AM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScholesGingerSheen
I'd settle for looking like we have a £#%&!ing clue what we're doing going forward for a full 90 minutes, Everton away is probably as close as we've got, otherwise we've been resolutely unconvincing but solid at the back.

We might make top of the league at weekend, but Leicester managed that this week, I wouldn't bet a carrot on us being there long term at the moment.

Ultimately the biggest issue is we don't really seem to be any further forward than last season, Memphis and Martial are both waning after exciting starts, it's like whoever LVG buys we play the same pedestrian shite, with Fellaini coming on to £#%&! things up completely whenever we need to chase a result. I don't see the progress.

Slight difference between Moyes scraping 4th, and being top of the league having beat every team in the top half of said league within the last 14 months, tbf.

Unread 26-11-2015, 01:03 AM
jem

Quote:
it is never enough merely to win.

Unread 26-11-2015, 01:03 AM
Billy Redface

It'll make no difference if we continue to play at this tepid pace and intensity.

Anyone with any verve seems to quickly look just as stale as as everyone else after a few games (memphis, martial....I expect lingard to be checking inside and passing sideways soon enough too)

We seemingly have no answer at all to any team that defends in numbers at our place. And the b plan is to bring on that lanky £#%&!er and hit & hope.

It's not like we're playing a brand of football, but we just don't have the players.

The total lack of intensity and urgency to our play, particularly at key stages of the game is deeply concerning. Five minutes in, eighty five minutes in....the urgency just seems the same. We only ever really press hard if we're losing.

Unread 26-11-2015, 01:14 AM
My Name is Keith

I think we're just too weak upfront. Both martial and Jesse are good prospects but they're both very young and inexperienced so will be inconsistent. I'm amazed at how lvg has rinsed martial tbh and not brought him on more like Fergie would. Obvs some sage will come along and go through countless youth players from the late 90's that lvg has developed but it feels wrong to play him this often so soon. You can see his confidence ebbing away with every match.

No idea about Memph - could go either way but again, new to the league, young and inconsistent. And shit. (So far) When you add into the fact that we've got a very experienced but in decline superstar then it's no wonder we're struggling to score.

That's not the only problem but one of the main ones.

Unread 26-11-2015, 01:18 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Keith
I think we're just too weak upfront. Both martial and Jesse are good prospects but they're both very young and inexperienced so will be inconsistent. I'm amazed at how lvg has rinsed martial tbh and not brought him on more like Fergie would. Obvs some sage will come along and go through countless youth players from the late 90's that lvg has developed but it feels wrong to play him this often so soon. You can see his confidence ebbing away with every match.

No idea about Memph - could go either way but again, new to the league, young and inconsistent. And shit. (So far) When you add into the fact that we've got a very experienced but in decline superstar then it's no wonder we're struggling to score.

That's not the only problem but one of the main ones.
He was roundly booed for taking him off a couple of week ago. Now he should be dropping him from the line-up?

Btw Mueller would the example best suited. Decent player in the modern game imo and Van Gaal gave him his first run.

Unread 26-11-2015, 01:20 AM
Ethers

I agree on the point about Martial. I'm really shocked at how much he's played. I'm not sure if it's the way LVG generally treats promising youngsters, or just a symptom of the fact we've been struggling so much going forward and he provides so much dynamism that were forced to play him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
He was roundly booed for taking him off a couple of week ago. Now he should be dropping him from the line-up?

Btw Mueller would the example best suited. Decent player in the modern game imo and Van Gaal gave him his first run.
In fairness, I think the booing (which I didn't agree with) was more because of Fellaini coming on than Martial going off.

Unread 26-11-2015, 01:21 AM
taff

the starting lineup tonight was far from conservative, and i thought the forward line showed a lot of promise early on. the problem was the resort to fellaini just because the experiment hadn't paid off with barely an hour gone, and then giving him an ill-defined role somewhere between holding midfielder and target man. threw the entire balance of the team off imo, and for that reason it seemed to betray the level of control and discipline that van gaal likes - which was responsible for a more composed and dynamic performance in the first half.

at some point we are going to have to back depay as well; granted, he wasn't getting much change out of the full back tonight (although he was no mug) but i don't see what good it does in pointedly hauling him off after an hour. unless his attitude is still letting him down, he needs the opportunity to play his way through it now. i think his effort has improved since he's been back in the side.

Unread 26-11-2015, 01:22 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan
What makes you think the glazers give 2 £#%&!s what the style of football is like? All they care about is making money.
this. thank god moyes was just shit enough.

Unread 26-11-2015, 01:23 AM
My Name is Keith

Quote:

Yes, if it's the the right thing to do. Bit of booing ffs.

Unread 26-11-2015, 01:24 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
I agree on the point about Martial. I'm really shocked at how much he's played. I'm not sure if it's the way LVG generally treats promising youngsters, or just a symptom of the fact we've been struggling so much going forward and he provides so much dynamism that were forced to play him.
Imagine if we were drawing games 0-0 with Martial on the bench. Would be even more anger from fans, most of whom were bemused by the signing in the first place. Besides, Martial didn't play at Watford, not like it's been a grueling week for him.

Fergie did the same with Rooney and Ronaldo. And got us knocked out the Champions League group phase in the process. Unfortunately, despite so many claiming they were ready for post-Ferguson United, I don't think many people actually have the perspective that entails. Yes ideally Martial wouldn't play every week, but are there many other options? Were many people disappointed to see him in the side tonight at 7pm when the teams were announced?

It was the right team, but it didn't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Keith

Yes, if it's the the right thing to do. Bit of booing ffs.
It may have been the right thing to do in hindsight, but if Wilson had started ahead of him and played shite we'd be having a similar conversation. Point being, it's hard to argue that starting Martial tonight was an obvious bad move. We'd all have done it if we're honest.

Unread 26-11-2015, 01:28 AM
jem

Quote:
indeed. because, if it were the wrong team, that would be van gaal's fault. so it can't have been that.

Unread 26-11-2015, 01:30 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
indeed. because, if it were the wrong team, that would be van gaal's fault. so it can't have been that.
You were disappointed with the line-up?

I wasn't happy to see Fellaini come on. I never am.

But let's have it right - the starting line-up was one most would have been happy with.

Unread 26-11-2015, 01:32 AM
My Name is Keith

Quote:
Imagine if we were drawing games 0-0 with Martial on the bench. Would be even more anger from fans, most of whom were bemused by the signing in the first place. Besides, Martial didn't play at Watford, not like it's been a grueling week for him.

Fergie did the same with Rooney and Ronaldo. And got us knocked out the Champions League group phase in the process. Unfortunately, despite so many claiming they were ready for post-Ferguson United, I don't think many people actually have the perspective that entails. Yes ideally Martial wouldn't play every week, but are there many other options? Were many people disappointed to see him in the side tonight at 7pm when the teams were announced?

He was injured, not rested at Watford. Plus he can bring him off the bench if we're struggling at 0-0

There's not going to be a major fan revolt at ot pal. It's not 1974.

And the fact that there aren't many other options will be Woowars fault I suppose?

Anyway, would hate to focus on martial having an off day when there's so much other shite you could reference in that 2nd half.

Unread 26-11-2015, 01:34 AM
ScarFace

Quote:
Originally Posted by £#%&! KFC
We need a new manager first
This.

We have enough attacking players....they all turn to shit once LDV gets his hands on to them.

He'd ruin Ronaldo within 10 games.

Gone in the summer.
Closed Thread