Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 22-04-2008, 01:45 PM
Argentina

Thumbs up Nani

Best corner taker we've had since Beckham went shit circa 2001/02

Unread 22-04-2008, 01:53 PM
Whalefish

Never mind his corners, that bit of skill which left Warnock on his arse was simply brilliant. More of the same please.

Unread 22-04-2008, 02:08 PM
borsuk

nani plays with great freedom. it will get him into trouble sometimes but it's great to see.

he just seems to have an unassailable confidence that whatever he tries is going to work. i really hope he plays tomorrow, even off the bench, because his pace on the counter has the potential to really hurt barca.

Unread 22-04-2008, 02:18 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
nani plays with great freedom. it will get him into trouble sometimes but it's great to see.

he just seems to have an unassailable confidence that whatever he tries is going to work. i really hope he plays tomorrow, even off the bench, because his pace on the counter has the potential to really hurt barca.
I agree, he'll be a great option to have. Really can change the game coming off the bench.

In all the (deserved) hype surrounding Anderson, I think a lot of Reds have overlooked just how well Nani has done. He's got crucial goals, plenty of assists and had a very positive effect on our football. And he's already a much improved player to the one we saw at the start of the season, where he was forced to carry our attack in Rooney & Ronaldo’s absence.

Cracking player.

Unread 22-04-2008, 02:19 PM
Tiberian

He has made great strides this year, looked a bit raw at the start of the season, but has really showed an impressive all round game as he has settled.

Love the way he can really snap a shot in with very little back lift. Will probably be a choice between Park and Nani for the last attacking position against Barca. My head says Fergie will probably go with park for the workrate, but Nani is the far bigger goal threat.

Unread 22-04-2008, 02:19 PM
Terry Silver

Apparently Barca have struggled with crosses this season, particularly from set-pieces...

Unread 22-04-2008, 02:41 PM
Crumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
Neither do Evra, Rio, Ronaldo, Rooney, Anderson, Tevez...a big reason for our improvent in Europe over the last two seasons has been the young lads who play with no fear.

Barca, at the Camp Nou in a European Cup semi final, is the biggest test for them in Europe so far. But our players are fit and have been well rested during the season. They'll never get a better chance.
Good point that.

People use past results (before the last 2 season) as a reason why we won't win in europe but this is a different team with players who can comfortably play in different formations with different tactics and as you say they play without fear. Could be the start of a period of dominance in Europe by this team.

Unread 22-04-2008, 02:54 PM
Rhodzy

He's a fantastic conventional dribbler.

Unread 22-04-2008, 03:08 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
ronnie suddenly had a lot more freedom when nani came on at the weekend. nani really does love to run at defenders and i don't think that's something barca will enjoy.

i loved nani's performance in the 4-0 win over arsenal. really made hoyte look an idiot at times.

vds
brown - rio - vidic - evra
hargreaves
ronnie - carrick - anderson
tevez
rooney

with nani off the bench in the second half.
Probably our best 11 at the moment, especially in this type of game, but Fergie does love to have a striking option on the bench. Can not see both Tevez and Rooney starting, especially if Rooney is feeling a knock.

Unread 22-04-2008, 03:13 PM
Terry Silver

Quote:
ronnie suddenly had a lot more freedom when nani came on at the weekend. nani really does love to run at defenders and i don't think that's something barca will enjoy.

i loved nani's performance in the 4-0 win over arsenal. really made hoyte look an idiot at times.

vds
brown - rio - vidic - evra
hargreaves
ronnie - carrick - anderson
tevez
rooney

with nani off the bench in the second half.

Doubt he will go 4-4-2. The balance of that midfield doesn't look too hot on paper, but with Anderson on the same side as Messi it could curb Messi's threat better than Giggs or Nani would.

I just hope he doesn't go with Ronaldo up front and Rooney on the left again... but fear he might.

I think he'll go with

VDS

Brown - Rio - Vidic - Evra

Park - Carrick - Hargreaves - Anderson - Rooney

Ronaldo

Unread 22-04-2008, 03:16 PM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
Probably our best 11 at the moment, especially in this type of game, but Fergie does love to have a striking option on the bench. Can not see both Tevez and Rooney starting, especially if Rooney is feeling a knock.
i'd be quite happy with nani starting and tevez on the bench, but i expect park to get the nod - park wide right, ronnie behind rooney.

Unread 22-04-2008, 03:21 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
i'd be quite happy with nani starting and tevez on the bench, but i expect park to get the nod - park wide right, ronnie behind rooney.
I expect the same, puts a lot of pressure on Ronaldo and Rooney. As you have pointed out the introduction of Nani during the Blackburn game gave a lot more freedom to Ronaldo especially, another dribbling option carrying the ball at pace opening gaps.

Anderson can fill the same role if he is not restricted, with Both Carrick and Hargreaves playing he would have a little more freedom, if Scholes plays he will have more defensive responsibility.

He could really disturb Xavi and Iniesta if he is on his game, physcially they will not be able to cope with him if he gets running at them, in the same way that Scholes struggled with Hleb and Fabregas.

I expect a cautious approach, but we also need to show aggressive intent on the counter to put uncertainty into barca.

Unread 22-04-2008, 03:38 PM
Gazw649

Starting to get really nervous / giddy about this game tommorow. £#%&!.

Unread 22-04-2008, 03:43 PM
RedArmy20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Silver
Doubt he will go 4-4-2. The balance of that midfield doesn't look too hot on paper, but with Anderson on the same side as Messi it could curb Messi's threat better than Giggs or Nani would.

I just hope he doesn't go with Ronaldo up front and Rooney on the left again... but fear he might.

I think he'll go with

VDS

Brown - Rio - Vidic - Evra

Park - Carrick - Hargreaves - Anderson - Rooney

Ronaldo
thats not the starting formation though.

ronaldo is usually a lazy £#%&!er and doesnt help much in the defence. and usually ronaldo stays forward a lot, where he is as best of course given the freedom from fergie.
and with rooney hes just an intelligent player and works hard and is usually everywhere, and because of ronaldos lazyness rooney works back home and at times stays on the flanks.

but on away matches it works great because rooney can win a lot of tackles high up the pitch and start counter attacks. plus when rooney cuts inside from the left he can be deadly

Unread 22-04-2008, 03:47 PM
Serenity Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodzy
He's a fantastic conventional dribbler.
As opposed to the more eccentric variety?

Unread 22-04-2008, 03:50 PM
Rhodzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity Now
As opposed to the more eccentric variety?
I believe so, am I talking %@#$&!s?

Unread 22-04-2008, 03:54 PM
Serenity Now

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodzy
I believe so, am I talking %@#$&!s?
Probably less than me

Unread 22-04-2008, 03:56 PM
Rhodzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity Now
Probably less than me
I think I meant like players like Hleb and Messi who are both tremendous dribblers who don't need to use tricks.

Unread 22-04-2008, 03:58 PM
Terry Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedArmy20
thats not the starting formation though.
It might not be what ITV showed on your screen before the Roma game, but believe me that was the starting formation. Fergie eventually pushed Rooney up with him and stated after the match that he should have done so sooner. In spite of this, and given his cautiousness in Europe, I expect him to revert to the same starting line up tomorrow.

And you are correct. It is to accomodate the fact that Ronaldo has very little interest in venturing into his own half.

Unread 22-04-2008, 04:10 PM
dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Silver
It might not be what ITV showed on your screen before the Roma game,
Can somebody tell me why they get ths wrong, all the time? Even when they're showing highlights and they don't have to guess?
Closed Thread