United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 25-10-2009, 11:34 PM
dunk

Default Re: OFFICIAL: Liverpool v United thread. (Teams, links + doom)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
Not sure about that.

Giggs? Best player this season. Irreplaceable by anyone in the squad, nevermind a kid.

Scholes - had some very good games, and some not so good. Don't see what kid is currently ready to come in for him. He is part of the rotation with Anderson, Carrick, Fletcher. The likes of James, aren't ready.

Neville - had a few decent games. Barely started any and Rafael has been injured. He's not first choice.

There isn't anyone else.

I'd like to see some more on the bench...but, we need to start putting ourselves in a position to actually bring them on and not labour over the line against teams as we did vs Bolton. We need to actually finish them off. Then we'd be able to give them a bit more experience.
There was a serious lack of energy and youthful enthusiasm about the team today. I agree about Giggs and Scholes though, it's part of the problem. Just as when Keane was on the wane, we could all see it, but he was still performing better than the other options, it was detrimental to the team, if you get what I mean?

Unread 25-10-2009, 11:40 PM
Dueling Banjos

Quote:
Originally Posted by gedthemull
And I thought I was haing a bad day
Got worse though being stuck in murkeydive airport with hundreds of the rat-faced £#%&!ers and just me and my mate waiting for our flight.

Unread 25-10-2009, 11:50 PM
The Mull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dueling Banjos
Got worse though being stuck in murkeydive airport with hundreds of the rat-faced £#%&!ers and just me and my mate waiting for our flight.
Thanks a bunch, make me fell even worser why donncha..............sofa for me tonight/forseeable

Unread 25-10-2009, 11:51 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
There was a serious lack of energy and youthful enthusiasm about the team today. I agree about Giggs and Scholes though, it's part of the problem. Just as when Keane was on the wane, we could all see it, but he was still performing better than the other options, it was detrimental to the team, if you get what I mean?
Keane at the time wasn't still one of the best players in the league. He was just better than other options.

Giggs is...if anyone in the league has peformed better than him this season, then I haven't seen it.

Scholes is rotated. When he has played this season, we have generally dominated the midfield because of him. He has had a couple of poor games, the most notable being Sunderland.

I think it is a bit knee jerk saying we have too many players over aged 32+ when the most we have had in any one fixture is 2, which has happened 5 times and we've won 4. Perhaps the selection of the team today was wrong, but in a way, Fergie's hand was forced with Fletcher being out, and we don't know whether Anderson has been struggling or not. Anderson was the only other option for the midfield.

If Neville, Giggs and Scholes were starting every game, you'd have a point. But they are part of the squad. Giggs being the most important, due to his creativity. I'm sure we'll see some of the younger players making the step up in the next 12 - 24 months. But at the moment, I don't think they're ready for Premiership football.

Today was just a pretty poor day at the office. We'll have more before the season is out.

Unread 26-10-2009, 12:02 AM
Ben

Unread 26-10-2009, 12:23 AM
Sloane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben
good effort. thought they were checking all the tickets.

anyone see that young lad try to get in dressed as a steward?
he nearly outran the copper but didnt quite manage it
im sure some guy got in with a vest and shoddy skysports pass

did check them all but he manged to get past when they were searching somebody else passed the stub through the turnstile then held up his other bit so they couldnt really see and they let him through

Unread 26-10-2009, 12:26 AM
TreeFiddy

Shit. Just £#%&!ing shit. Disgraceful performance after losing to the @#%&!s home and away last season. The main concern is that we seemingly don't have enough players with the attitude to impose themselves on big games.

Vidic Ferdinand

Quote:
I think we used up a £#%&!load of luck and Karma with the winner against the divs, might be a while till we get some more.
Most of what you post is very good so why include nonsensical bullshit like that?

Unread 26-10-2009, 01:30 AM
Grimson

One more season Ed.

Unread 26-10-2009, 02:22 AM
shenwen

despite what borsuk and others have said, Liverpool absolutely deserved to win. they were first to the ball,passed well (and to feet, lesson there for carrick) and closed our midfielders and strikers down with urgency. at one point the ball wen out to valencia and he was crowded by four vermin. credit to liverpool.

but, that was a £#%&!ing shit performance by us. so angry. especially after torres scored, we had no one who even looked up for it. long balls into the box and no player even jumping for it. to easy to single out players because there were too many of them. either they played bad (giggs until he came into the middle; carrick, yet again; o'shea cause that's how he is: when he and valencia ran into each other, £#%&!ing hell) or appeared disinterested (rooney).

however, people giving berbatov a slagging. he for me wa one of the few players who had a bit of passion, first half at least. not his fault he had no decent balls from midfield (although valencia tried) and a strike partner who would have done more on the bench

Unread 26-10-2009, 05:57 AM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
despite what borsuk and others have said, Liverpool absolutely deserved to win. they were first to the ball,passed well (and to feet, lesson there for carrick) and closed our midfielders and strikers down with urgency. at one point the ball wen out to valencia and he was crowded by four vermin. credit to liverpool.

but, that was a £#%&!ing shit performance by us. so angry. especially after torres scored, we had no one who even looked up for it. long balls into the box and no player even jumping for it. to easy to single out players because there were too many of them. either they played bad (giggs until he came into the middle; carrick, yet again; o'shea cause that's how he is: when he and valencia ran into each other, £#%&!ing hell) or appeared disinterested (rooney).

however, people giving berbatov a slagging. he for me wa one of the few players who had a bit of passion, first half at least. not his fault he had no decent balls from midfield (although valencia tried) and a strike partner who would have done more on the bench
i agree with all of that. i thought we dominated the send half of the first half and i expected us to build on that. we didn't. we deserved nothing from that game.

Unread 26-10-2009, 07:47 AM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
i agree with all of that. i thought we dominated the send half of the first half and i expected us to build on that. we didn't. we deserved nothing from that game.
yep, last 20 of first half, i thought the goal would come. half time i thought we had soaked up all liverpool had and would start to take over. second half though they came out stronger. can't help feeling anderson on at half time would have helped. our midfield was getting battered by lucas ffs.

Unread 26-10-2009, 08:41 AM
captain scarlet

Woke up this morning with yesterday's result lodged in my mind-a very ugly way to regain consciousness.

Unread 26-10-2009, 09:18 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
yep, last 20 of first half, i thought the goal would come. half time i thought we had soaked up all liverpool had and would start to take over. second half though they came out stronger. can't help feeling anderson on at half time would have helped. our midfield was getting battered by lucas ffs.
I think Torres' goal came just as they were starting to fade and we were coming to the fore. There was a horrid foul by Mascherano on Berbatov in the build up to it as well. They don't score then, we go on and take control as they run out of steam. Instead they were galvanised and re-invigorated and we were deflated and had little to offer.

The annoying thing is we set ourselves up to play like that, let them bring the game to us, wear themselves out and hurt them when they are tiring. A very European way of doing things, and fair enough, doesn't really work with a 4-4-2 though, imo, too much space available through the middle for the opposition to exploit, especially iif they have an extra man in there, coupled with our annoying habit of conceding goals at critical times in the big domestic games, it isn't really the way forward for us.

Unread 26-10-2009, 10:06 AM
shenwen

Quote:
I think Torres' goal came just as they were starting to fade and we were coming to the fore. There was a horrid foul by Mascherano on Berbatov in the build up to it as well. They don't score then, we go on and take control as they run out of steam. Instead they were galvanised and re-invigorated and we were deflated and had little to offer.

The annoying thing is we set ourselves up to play like that, let them bring the game to us, wear themselves out and hurt them when they are tiring. A very European way of doing things, and fair enough, doesn't really work with a 4-4-2 though, imo, too much space available through the middle for the opposition to exploit, especially iif they have an extra man in there, coupled with our annoying habit of conceding goals at critical times in the big domestic games, it isn't really the way forward for us.
agreed. midfield two sat back and rarely pressed forward. the thing is though, once the goal had been scored, little changed. plan b was to bypass the midfield (and the way carrick was passing, no bad thing) and hoof the ball up for our big forward line (rooney and owen ffs). depressing.

Unread 26-10-2009, 10:15 AM
marlo

strikers make the difference which is why they are the most expensive players to buy.
hence the 'cliche' term - star striker -

how many times have we seen torres score a brace to get liverpool out of shit.
how many times have we seen drogba give defenders a torrid time (liverpool the other week) and force the goals his team needed.

we probably have the most impotent striker force of the top four (torres alone gave our defenders a more torrid time than both rooney and berbatov)

in midfield we were slightly over run but at the same time we both has placid,one paced uninspiring midfielders plodding around(apart from giggs/benayoun) but the difference here was torres.
through ball, pace,control, strength and the finish...that's why he is worth his weight in gold.

now think of our strikers.how much of a threat were they? how many shots did they have between then?
we all laugh at how laughably shit carragher is but who exposed his flaws in the way drogba and defoe did this season?

giggs is doing his bit but looking at the other side of the pitch we have a one trick winger.if we stick with him its a case of how do the strikers compliment his 'one trick'
he kicks and runs down the line and crosses it...now who is going to get on the end of those crosses because not only are our strikers not good headerers of the ball/finishers, they just don't have that natural instinct.

we need a new striker.no doubt about that,how can we not have any pace in our forward line? absolutely criminal.

its all good saying a striker makes us tick but when that striker is meant to score us clutch goals we have a problem.

yesterday was unbelievable and its not a one off as it was a mystery how we beat arsenal this season...

long balls to berbatov who controls then brings it back into midfield who pass it back to the backline........saf needs to do his job ffs!!!!!

Unread 26-10-2009, 10:52 AM
magic_cantona

Thumbs down Re: OFFICIAL: Liverpool v United thread. (Teams, links + doom)

Liverpool dereserved the win.

We were shit again.

A mistake/poor piece of play cost us the game again.

We're still better than them but a large margin and that makes it even worse to take.

Anderson not sarting instead of Scholes was the death knell imo.

We'll still win the league, but I just cant stand the scouse giddyness which we should've kicked out of them yesterday.

Unread 26-10-2009, 10:57 AM
wiganste

Why was Carragher not sent off?

Unread 26-10-2009, 11:01 AM
In 76 now this is true

Quote:
There was a horrid foul by Mascherano on Berbatov in the build up to it as well.
Im suprised more havent picked up on this. It was a shocking foul over near the touchline, but we still had posession and the ref waved play on, we then lost the ball and they scored.
We would have done better to get the free kick and to use the ball into the box. In that situation, Liverpool would have ensured they got the free kick, we were hapy to play on.

Unread 26-10-2009, 11:01 AM
rafabio

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste
referee thought there were covering defenders ( like flying pigs properly ).

refereeing was horrendous. video technology can't some soon enough.

If marriner is not demoted to championship then there is something wrong with referee performance analysis.

Unread 26-10-2009, 11:03 AM
marlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste
wasnt that cynical a foul imo. a faster stronger striker would have shrugged off the soft pull back got to that ball and scored.

cant blame owen because he looked sharper than both our strikers (indication of the standard of strikers we have) but a faster striker like anelka or drogba would have got to that ball and scored.

we have seen carragher tries does pull backs against both henry and drogba in the past but they both follow through and score.