United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 17-01-2023, 10:25 AM
no fun

Default Going in the home end

Sounds like there will be plenty of reds in the palace sections tomorrow night, so let’s have your tales of sitting/standing with the home fans on your travels

Liverpool early 80s…..couldn’t get in the United end so me and Dave from Stretford paid in on the kop. Stood near the front, kept our gobs shut. It was a poor game, 0-0, but 5 mins from the end Robson was through and got tackled around the neck….Ref said no pen. Dave from Stretford went £#%&!ing ballistic, but somehow managed to turn his “you £#%&!ing @#%&! referee” into you £#%&!ing diving @#%&! Robson”. Was very frightened

West Ham late 80s…..kept my gob shut throughout, real nasty bastards

Everton mid 90s…..3 of us sat together in the posh seats, cup of tea and a butty before the game type of thing…..unfortunately it seems liverpools criminal fraternity also use these facilities….got Sussed out immediately, but to my relief and surprise the locals were very friendly and just chatted about Manchester clubs/music venues they had attended. Phew

West Brom about 4 years ago…..gentleman sat behind us shared his boiled sweets with us and talked about Duncan edwards….what a nice chap

More than 5 replies will be a victory

Unread 17-01-2023, 10:45 AM
Sapien

Presume nofun junior's Oxbridge education will have put paid to any semblance of a northern accent so he'll be ok?

Unread 17-01-2023, 10:48 AM
Seamus

been in the home end loads of times as long as you respect where you are supporters dont take offence.

But in the bad old days, I went in to the arsenal end in the late 80s when it was pay on the turnstile, about 30 of us, we didnt even make it up on to the terrace as we were sussed as soon as we all got through and took a hiding. We were a bit gullible going in.

Everton away when Sharpe scored and did that Elvis impersonation, I got there late and had to go in the late turnstile on the Gladys street, we got sussed by those around us and it got a bit lairy until the old bill came in

I had a few escapes from the kippax home to the kippax away section.
Had no mither at QPR, Liverpool, Notts County, Villa, Birmingham city etc

I was in the away end at that game in the Ukraine, a red came up at half time and said there was united fans getting leathered on the concourse so we went down and there was nothing just fans singing at each other like it was New Years Eve. Later in the game the Ukrainians all started fighting amongst themselves.

when it was pay on the turnstile, the sheer volume of reds meant that was reds everywhere at away games.

Unread 17-01-2023, 11:00 AM
pedr0

Been in the home end at villa a couple of times, both of which passed without incident.

Not sure why I'm posting tbh

Unread 17-01-2023, 11:08 AM
Joe Biden

Blackburn when young scored a cracker, then Wigan a week later when maloney scored a cracker

Not a fan of it at all, last thing I wanna do when United score is sit on my hands trying to look glum.

Unread 17-01-2023, 11:17 AM
Seamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedr0
Been in the home end at villa a couple of times, both of which passed without incident.

Not sure why I'm posting tbh
sharing is caring

Unread 17-01-2023, 11:32 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Biden
Blackburn when young scored a cracker, then Wigan a week later when maloney scored a cracker

Not a fan of it at all, last thing I wanna do when United score is sit on my hands trying to look glum.
Isn’t the trick to stand up and scream £#%&! off to get it off your chest?

Unread 17-01-2023, 11:35 AM
wiganste

Done loads

Got battered in the Kop End when Bryan Robson scored after 2 mins
Cops marched us round to the United end (used to be in the other corner of Anfield Road)
Sat in the Anfield Road end when O'Shea scored the winner. Was very hard to not give myself away and I few clocked I was United. Probably because I couldn't stop smiling

Goodison Park a few years ago when Nistelrooy made it 4-3 in front of the Gwladys. 3-0 up in that game and almost £#%&!ed it. Had scousers jumping all over me and asking why I wasn't celebrating. Said I had broken ribs. Jumped up and shouted "oh you £#%&!ing @#%&!" when Nistelrooy scroed, with a big grin on my face
Was in their main stand when we won the league in 2007 and denied them a place in the UEFA Cup. It was full of United and we just sang throughout the game

Leeds when Roy Keane scored the winner. Was sat in the South Stand right behind the goal. Another red (who I didn't know) was sat next to me. We clocked each other almost straight away - £#%&! knows how no one else did.
Big grins when we scored and at full time, I was spotted by some United in our end and they we shouting me over. Leeds fans just started fighting each other.

Done Villa, City, Wigan (when we won the league) Blackburn, Bolton, PSV - all passed without incident. I'm sure there's a few more

Unread 17-01-2023, 12:53 PM
Billy Bigbollox

North stand at Maine Road early 80s, we won 2-1 I think but my memory is sketchy these days. We got sussed early on but the Berts round us were OK as they were mostly oldies who didnt really care. We were quite close to the Kippax so had a few taunts and threats across the fence when the winner went in about what would happen after the match, which needless to say never happened

Unread 17-01-2023, 01:05 PM
Sapien

Was in the West ham end when Michael Hughes and the keeper denied us the title, and in the Spurs end for the 5-3 game. Contrasting emotions.

Thankfully my non-regional accent helped masked my true loyalties on each occasion.

Unread 17-01-2023, 01:38 PM
Chorlton74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus

Everton away when Sharpe scored and did that Elvis impersonation, I got there late and had to go in the late turnstile on the Gladys street, we got sussed by those around us and it got a bit lairy until the old bill came in
was that in 1994? did the same, inexplicably it was pay on the gate. fair few united in the lower bullens that afty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste

Goodison Park a few years ago when Nistelrooy made it 4-3 in front of the Gwladys. 3-0 up in that game and almost £#%&!ed it. Had scousers jumping all over me and asking why I wasn't celebrating. Said I had broken ribs. Jumped up and shouted "oh you £#%&!ing @#%&!" when Nistelrooy scroed, with a big grin on my face
sat in the middle of the back row on the Gwladys with a mate of gbmufc. how we never got sussed that day, god only knows. the seethe on them when Ruud popped up was just glorious.

Unread 17-01-2023, 01:51 PM
jem

have stood in the kop at anfield and been in the shed at chelsea, as well as selhurst (when it is was like a home game v wimbledon and palace). very easy not to get excited about united scoring or any referee's decisions. not so easy to leap up and feign excitement when then the opposition scores. just look down the row at the other people still sat in their seats and helps if it is cold. it will be.

Unread 17-01-2023, 01:54 PM
Fat Al

Stood in the home end at Watford during the early 80's with my grandad on a few occasions. He still had his northern accent but I'm a soft southern shandy drinking poof so there was no aggro.
Also sat in the very front row of one of the stands for a game when Utd won. Gooned like £#%&! when we scored, only to turn round and see every £#%&!er staring at me. Prolly only got away with it cos I was 13 at the time.

Sat in the Kemlyn Rd Stand (now the Kenny Dogshite Stand) at Anfield when we got gubbed 4-0 in 1990. Stood up but didn't cheer when the first 2 goals went in but stayed sat down for the last 2. They sussed I wasn't a vermin fan but nothing was said. Prolly felt sorry for me.

Unread 17-01-2023, 01:56 PM
Selhurst Samurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
have stood in the kop at anfield and been in the shed at chelsea, as well as selhurst (when it is was like a home game v wimbledon and palace). very easy not to get excited about united scoring or any referee's decisions. not so easy to leap up and feign excitement when then the opposition scores. just look down the row at the other people still sat in their seats and helps if it is cold. it will be.
I've always found it's easier to contain my excitement at a United goal, than not looking pissed off if we concede. Especially when surrounded by giddy smug @#%&!s talking shite.

Last home end visit was Hull for the league cup semi final a few years ago. And what a bunch of mongs they were. Also noteworthy as the first time I saw, with my own eyes, the magnificence that is Captain Slab in all his oafish glory.

Unread 17-01-2023, 01:58 PM
est.1878

Boro and Leicester. Felt zero threat at either, but completely detached

Much more enjoyable going into the home pubs for a danger pint imo. Last time at anfield was advised against visiting one particular place by a scouser at work and it was almost theme park like inside. Very little edge these days imo

Unread 17-01-2023, 02:00 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Al
Also sat in the very front row of one of the stands for a game when Utd won. Gooned like £#%&! when we scored, only to turn round and see every £#%&!er staring at me.
this is always the funniest thing to witness. I remember two arsenal literal gooners in the front row at ot when arsenal scored (mid-90s sometime). they leapt up... suddenly realised what they had done and looked behind them in panic. they were pulled over the fence in about two seconds and walked to safety. foolish virgins.

Unread 17-01-2023, 02:02 PM
Dr Stranger

Bramall Lane 06/07. Section above the away end. Came from 1 down to win 2-1 (Rooney twice). Stood politely for Sheffield United opener (oh erm…yaaaay!) and joined in the Ronaldo mockery when he missed an absolute sitter from 3 yards out (last minute. No harm done)

All fairly non-threatening stuff, but loads of reds dotted around that were instantly kicked out as soon as they revealed their true identity.

Unread 17-01-2023, 02:43 PM
woody78

Villa in the cup when we won 3-2 from 2 down. Ended up jumping up with a guy in front and we both starting singing.

Villa in the league when half the end was united because everyone got their tickets on ticketmaser

Leicester away when we sent them down. Didn't move a muscle when we scored. I was surrounded by meatheads

Unread 17-01-2023, 02:48 PM
redhegemony

The less said about the 2-3 at the Ethiad the better...(very pissed missed all our goals)

Unread 17-01-2023, 02:51 PM
Chorlton74

Hillsborough 98/99 and 99/00. seemed like more United in there than home fans. no mither.

Blackburn May 1999. lovely being there knowing we'd just relegated them.

i miss those days when you could use ticketmaster when it suited.
Closed Thread