United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 24-02-2009, 10:50 PM
Switching Off

Thumbs up Super Johnny Evans and Fletch

Credit to both of them for playing in difficult circumstances. Good games from both.

Evans playing through an injury indicates the attitude he has to his football. Obviously not a bad injury but he gutted it out when he was needed. Great character.

And well done to Fletch for getting on with it in the circumstances. I know nobody got hurt at his place but he must have been worried. Fair play.

Unread 24-02-2009, 11:00 PM
Whalefish

Good post.

Given the circumstances is was an excellent shift by Fletcher. Evans was excellent too. Going to be a top top player.

Unread 24-02-2009, 11:02 PM
Smeggs

Thumbs up

both top draw.

Carrick passing and composure on the ball esp in the first half was pure class too. i love it when he just stops and seems to have an age on the ball.

thought all the lads did well, though big jon and rio had some shaky moments.

Unread 24-02-2009, 11:03 PM
Rhodzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
Good post.

Given the circumstances is was an excellent shift by Fletcher. Evans was excellent too. Going to be a top top player.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodzy
It's hard to believe that Evans is only 20. Top top player as Jamie Redknapp would put it.

Unread 24-02-2009, 11:05 PM
TreeFiddy

O'Shea played pretty well too.

Unread 24-02-2009, 11:08 PM
wonky no

beautiful tonight. both beautiful.

wonderful to see two lads come through the ranks and take the sand zero

Unread 24-02-2009, 11:27 PM
That Boy Ronaldo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeFiddy
O'Shea played pretty well too.
Thought O'Shea was outstanding.

Unread 24-02-2009, 11:31 PM
gbmufc

I agree O`shea had a decent game considering his injury.

Apart from the ball to Giggs I thought Carricks passing was below his usual impeccable standard.

Also thought Rooney might have got a bit longer as well, Park was struggling with 20 minutes left. Still we would have all took 0-0 I guess although on reflection it was an opportunity missed.

Unread 24-02-2009, 11:35 PM
Part 36 Offer

Fletcher MOM imo, covered so much ground and stopped them on the counter many a times.

Unread 24-02-2009, 11:38 PM
That Boy Ronaldo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrick
Fletcher MOM imo, covered so much ground and stopped them on the counter many a times.
Evra for me, his usual brilliant.

Ronaldo first half was oustanding.

Unread 24-02-2009, 11:38 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrick
I would go with the same midfield pair at OT, the temptation may be to use Scholes to open them up but Carrick/Fletcher give Utd more defensive control.

Fletch had a few strange passing moments in the last 20, but he was very good as the watchdog for Carrick, ket it simple.

Unread 24-02-2009, 11:45 PM
Tumescent Throb

Fletcher and Carrick both very very frustrating tonight

Evra as well, just wasteful in some really good situations

Ferdinand looked a nervous wreck at the start

Luckily enough Inter had £#%&! all up front

Unread 24-02-2009, 11:51 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb

Agree about Rio, there was one incident in the second half when Zlatan was going at him on the left by line, went out for a corner and Rio seemed to be feeling his back, pulled up quite sharply. Is a bit down on pace at this time as well.

After the first 30 I thought that Cambiasso got closer to Giggs and the tempo of our passing slowed. Giggs was causing them real problems finding little gaps in between their midfield and defence and once they cut off that supply line we were less of a threat. Second half it tended to be balls passed across the pitch with less snap and penetration.

In the limited time Rooney came on it changed again though, his pace and movement in behind was a new threat.

As for Evra as good as he is on the ball his final pass is really quite poor, gets into great areas, but hs crossing is almost as bad as Heinze's.

Unread 24-02-2009, 11:52 PM
TreeFiddy

Quote:

Disagree about Fletcher and Carrick, but I did think Evra was guilty of losing the ball up the pitch a few times and putting in some weak crosses.

We really ought to have scored tonight. I just hope it doesn't come back to haunt us at Old Trafford because the thought of that smug @#%&! running up the sideline celebrating again turns my stomach.

Unread 24-02-2009, 11:59 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeFiddy
Disagree about Fletcher and Carrick, but I did think Evra was guilty of losing the ball up the pitch a few times and putting in some weak crosses.

We really ought to have scored tonight. I just hope it doesn't come back to haunt us at Old Trafford because the thought of that smug @#%&! running up the sideline celebrating again turns my stomach.
TBF Evra found himself on his own when h got in to good positions tonight, unlike in the league when he's usually got two short pass options and enough targets in the box that he can cross it with his eyes closed.

As for Maureen, can't see him running up the touchline whatever happens. Last time was a publicity stunt, a PR trick to get his face plastered over the back pages. It worked, and it ended up getting him to Chelsea. Hadnt even heard of the @#%&! at that point.

Unread 25-02-2009, 12:05 AM
Tumescent Throb

Fletcher and Carrick just seemed to play within themselves so maybe they were just doing as instructed

It's games like that when i can understand people wanting us to get someone to drive forward through the middle though, which was odd because both Giggs and Ronaldo are more than capable

For me Evra seems to get a rush of blood. He was brilliant in most of what he did, but just get the feeling he's always just short of being devastating going forward

Fletcher's general technique is very good. But it was painfully obvious tonight that the only way he's likely to control the ball away from his man is safely; how often does his direct opponent out of the play for the first yard with his first touch? Unless it's backwards then not often is the answer, so is that technique? Or is it awareness, peripheral vision, confidence or what?

Unread 25-02-2009, 09:38 AM
Albert Tatlock

Would have liked to have seen either Tevez or Rooney start as their pace would have carved open Inter they way they were playing, but as I said to the missus last night,

"This ref is an idiot, good job Wazzas not on or he'll get carded"

Wayne comes on and guess what...

Good call by Fergie, knows his refs too

Unread 25-02-2009, 09:41 AM
Part 36 Offer

O'Shea was immense.

Unread 25-02-2009, 09:50 AM
dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
I would go with the same midfield pair at OT, the temptation may be to use Scholes to open them up but Carrick/Fletcher give Utd more defensive control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jizza Jazza
Would have liked to have seen either Tevez or Rooney start as their pace would have carved open Inter they way they were playing,
So if we'd had say Rooney instead of Park and or/scholes instead of Fletcher do you think we would have out away a couple of our chances or would we not have been in such a dominant position in the first place?

Unread 25-02-2009, 10:42 AM
dunk

Quote:
For me Evra seems to get a rush of blood. He was brilliant in most of what he did, but just get the
Evra's final ball is £#%&!ing awful 95% of the time, be it cross, pass or shot. He's great at bursting forward, if he could cross like G.Nev he would be unbelievable.
Closed Thread