United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 19-02-2021, 11:43 AM
armchair

Default Taking the knee for BLM

It's a real pity BLM is an organisation rather than a movement. I notice that tv doesn't tend to use the words "Black lives matter" any more and instead say something along the lines of "taking the knee against racism."

Unread 19-02-2021, 11:44 AM
Sapien

It's a completely meaningless gesture. Performative anti-racism. Bin.

Unread 19-02-2021, 11:53 AM
Hyman_Roth

Actions speak louder than theatrical gestures.

Bin please now.

Unread 19-02-2021, 11:57 AM
Dr Stranger

Take the knee, bang your pans for the nhs, change your Facebook avatar to a french flag etc

Mastering the art of meaning well and doing nothing.

Unread 19-02-2021, 11:58 AM
ScarFace

It's just a cringe stand-off now to who has the balls to call it off.

My guess is it doesn't return next season.

Unread 19-02-2021, 12:07 PM
jem

harsh.

how many black men have been shot in the street by the police since last summer?

it's working.

Unread 19-02-2021, 12:14 PM
Sandman

I can't watch them doing it, it's the most cringeworthy pointless %@#$&!s I've ever seen. Hardcore racists aren't going to change their views because some gobshite footballers kneel, nor does it highlight any injustice, it's culture wars nonsense, stop it, stop it now.

Unread 19-02-2021, 12:23 PM
Neo

Thumbs down

Anything that the Premier League, or the footballing world as a whole, does to promote a social cause has been completely meaningless since the corrupt suits that run the sport got into bed with Arab regimes, and even agreed to host a £#%&!ing World Cup in Qatar.

The lives of millionaire black footballers in Western Europe matter, but maybe not the brown-skinned slaves that are dying in the thousands building stadiums for despotic dictatorships.

Unread 19-02-2021, 12:49 PM
Tuco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
Anything that the Premier League, or the footballing world as a whole, does to promote a social cause has been completely meaningless since the corrupt suits that run the sport got into bed with Arab regimes, and even agreed to host a £#%&!ing World Cup in Qatar.

The lives of millionaire black footballers in Western Europe matter, but maybe not the brown-skinned slaves that are dying in the thousands building stadiums for despotic dictatorships.
Unread 19-02-2021, 12:53 PM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo

this

not to mention black players being carded for protesting at racism in the stands.

Or clubs being fined a few grand for racist chants.

Much easier to get players to take a knee than do anything real.

Unread 19-02-2021, 12:54 PM
NedKelly

They can’t stop kneeling until racism is fully eradicated. Anything less is admitting defeat.

Unread 19-02-2021, 12:55 PM
Tuco

Very strange policies..

Unread 19-02-2021, 01:04 PM
MagnificentSeven

the prem getting players to take the knee is a prime example of corporate bandwagon jumping. blm basically became a trend after george floyd, a cutesey aesthetic for people.

not to disagree with the notion that there is no room for racism in football though...hey, wait a minute, wasn't there already something in place that expressed such a sentiment, that worked more effectively and didn't cause as much controversy?

Unread 19-02-2021, 01:18 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo

Spot on. I’m sick of the superficial bullshit we call society. Actually talking civilly to people who look and think differently to yourself would be a good start.

Unread 19-02-2021, 04:23 PM
92ToBury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco
Very strange policies..

Not for the Marxists behind them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnificentSeven
the prem getting players to take the knee is a prime example of corporate bandwagon jumping. blm basically became a trend after george floyd, a cutesey aesthetic for people.

not to disagree with the notion that there is no room for racism in football though...hey, wait a minute, wasn't there already something in place that expressed such a sentiment, that worked more effectively and didn't cause as much controversy?
Totally. Should have gone with a Kick It Out push rather than a political movement like BLM. The only colour most football fans care about is the colour of the shirt. £#%&! politics, it has no room in football.

Unread 19-02-2021, 04:59 PM
Patty_b

Leave it up to the players as a group to decide the best way forward. Although considering a few of our own young black players have received rank racist abuse over the past couple of week, it may not hurt to carry it on a while longer.

Also don't get why it winds people up so much? I think it's equally funny and sad that it does though. It's literally 5 seconds before a game to highlight the fight against racism. You'd have to have the thinnest of thin skins for that to wind you up ffs

Unread 19-02-2021, 05:01 PM
otbarney

Doesn't bother me in the slightest, it only takes 10 seconds and no one is forced to do it.

Unread 19-02-2021, 05:03 PM
Fat Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
Leave it up to the players as a group to decide the best way forward. Although considering a few of our own young black players have received rank racist abuse over the past couple of week, it may not hurt to carry it on a while longer.

Also don't get why it winds people up so much? I think it's equally funny and sad that it does though. It's literally 5 seconds before a game to highlight the fight against racism. You'd have to have the thinnest of thin skins for that to wind you up ffs
The fact it triggers the £#%&! out of some people is enough of a reason to keep doing it.

Unread 19-02-2021, 05:16 PM
windy waffles

It actually makes me cringe watching them, and the ref, do it before every game.

As Zaha said the other day, why should they 'take the knee' (hate that saying, just reminds me of GoT) to show they matter.

It is degrading to be fair...

Unread 19-02-2021, 05:17 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
Also don't get why it winds people up so much? .... It's literally 5 seconds before a game to highlight the fight against racism. You'd have to have the thinnest of thin skins for that to wind you up ffs
Quote:
Originally Posted by otbarney
Doesn't bother me in the slightest, it only takes 10 seconds and no one is forced to do it.
surely, it's not that taking the knee winds people up, but rather that it is pointless and a distraction from the fact that not enough is being done (about things that matter more here than how the police in the states behave)?

that and the fact that blm itself is worse than hitler.
Closed Thread